The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks trying to trade Halak

9 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

Rags are VERY high on Schneider.
There is almost zero chance they make this deal 

Miller is a top 10 scorer in his prime signed to a reasonable deal for one more season after this.

They’re going to have to part with someone they’re high on if they want him.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

Miller is a top 10 scorer in his prime signed to a reasonable deal for one more season after this.

I don’t think they will be in any kind of situation to be affording Miller next year, and especially not his new contract. 

1 minute ago, D.B Cooper said:

I don’t think they will be in any kind of situation to be affording Miller next year, and especially not his new contract. 

Doesn’t matter if they think they can win it all, which is a possibility.

Rangers have never been shy to go all in and pay whatever it takes. They have the assets now to do it.

Edited by DeNiro

23 minutes ago, lmm said:

Halak has a NMC so it would be his choice

IF he thinks its advantageous to go to Edmonton as a starter, he goes

IF New Jim handles the situation better than Old Jim handled Hamhius then there should be no backlash

Not every player in the league is the same as Alflives, thinking the "Soilers" are trash 

Players generally look for a situation where they get more work, check

can help a team succeed, check

and can play with stars, check

the Oilers are an opportunity 

Anything that Alflives can say about the Oilers today, could have been said about the Canucks a month ago, and yet Rutherford and Boudreau signed on

Not many goalies want to get ventilated playing behind an AHL defence and forwards who refuse to backcheck, especially when the team is located in an absolute hellhole of a city.

Edited by King Heffy

19 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Not many goalies want to get ventilated playing behind an AHL defence and forwards who refuse to backcheck, especially when the team is located in an absolute hellhole of a city.

you know this explains why you are a keyboard warrior and not a pro athlete

you are always stuck on the negative

42 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

NYR have Kacko to re-sign.  Zib going up $3 mill.  Will probably have a less expensive backup than georgiev.

Where there is a will, there is a way...

3 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Yes, as has been pointed out by a few fans, this is, Speculation at Best.

But, that's generally what we do here.... ;)

Let's be real, that's most of what we do here when we can't get hard, reported info from legit sources

We'll go round, and round, and round, but opinions or not most of us don't know what's going to happen going forward :P

3 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

If they trade Halak after not even half a season, then the Canucks would have no standing with other FA’s going forward. 

Trading Halak isn’t the way.

I think he’s played well enough and should continue to be our backup. 

You think Rutherford would be frowned upon for moving out a player signed by previous management?

Wouldn't Halak facilitating the move take away from any future vitriol? He's got a full NMC, if he doesn't want to go anywhere he won't be. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Let's be real, that's most of what we do here when we can't get hard, reported info from legit sources

We'll go round, and round, and round, but opinions or not most of us don't know what's going to happen going forward :P

You think Rutherford would be frowned upon for moving out a player signed by previous management?

Wouldn't Halak facilitating the move take away from any future vitriol? He's got a full NMC, if he doesn't want to go anywhere he won't be. 

Yes. 

And why would he? It’s a non-starter. 

Opinions are like assholes, most of them stink and are full of $&!#. 

10 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Yes. 

And why would he? It’s a non-starter. 

Opinions are like assholes, most of them stink and are full of $&!#. 

I was just curious 

I don't think he does, but if we look more out than in come deadline time and he ends up going somewhere that's on him as much as the Canucks

7 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Are we talking Miller to the NYR for Schneider?

I pose the following

Miller to NYR

Lafrennier (sp) 2022 2nd, 2023 1st

You'd think we'd have to take that and run if available 

Lot of potential upside there, we don't have anyone with his upside on LW in the system, and I think well of Hoglander

4 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

The return is fine enough I suppose. 

However, the stain on the organization would be detrimental to future FA signings. Players and their agents(some or many) would look at what the Nucks did with Halak and steer clear for fear of being tossed aside in a trade and many would insist on NMCs, again, another hamper. 

Don’t know how much of a stain it would actually be. Halak could stay here and play like another 5-7 games or if in this scenario traded to Edmonton to potentially be their number one and have a chance at the cup. More playing time if he plays well could mean a better contract next summer as well. It’s not like Halak signed a multi year deal and we’re moving him mid season. If we are out of the playoffs come deadline I’m sure he’d prefer getting moved at the deadline to a playoff team. This is just a trade a couple months earlier to prevent the Canucks from additional salary next year.

Edited by flickyoursedin

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

hmm i wouldn't call Miller a top 10 scorer in his prime he's only top 10 right now coz of games played.. he's currently outside top 20 in points per game. regardless still a very good player in his prime. but rangers don't really need him. they are not going to disrupt their top line and move zbanejid down as miller really isn't much of an upgrade over him if any at all. Strome is doing decent on the 2nd line feeding his wingers with assist. if anything ranger needs more of a 3rd line center.. strome doesn't really fit that mold and he's a really good playmaker.. moving him down to the 3rd line with no one to play with doesn't really benefit the rangers.

15 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Don’t know how much of a stain it would actually be. Halak could stay here and play like another 5-7 games or if in this scenario traded to Edmonton to potentially be their number one and have a chance at the cup. More playing time if he plays well could mean a better contract next summer as well. It’s not like Halak signed a multi year deal and we’re moving him mid season. If we are out of the playoffs come deadline I’m sure he’d prefer getting moved at the deadline to a playoff team. This is just a trade a couple months earlier to prevent the Canucks from additional salary next year.

You’re missing the point. 

Signing an FA to trade him less than half a season later, is not a good look when you want to sign other FA’s in the future. 

Do you not understand what I’m saying? 

11 hours ago, Quantum said:

Benning gave Halak an NMC for some god damn reason so moving him will be a little harder BUT I think if Halak has a path to be a #1 elsewhere, he likely waives to go elsewhere.

When someone explains Cap Flexibility to Benning this is his reaction ...

13603544 (2).jpg

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

You’re missing the point. 

Signing an FA to trade him less than half a season later, is not a good look when you want to sign other FA’s in the future. 

Do you not understand what I’m saying? 

No I understand what you’re saying that it might impact future signings. All I’m thinking is he only signed a one year deal and if we’re out of the playoff picture he probably expects or would prefer that we did trade him. Him on the new team might be a better situation for him to play more on a better team and cash out even more for next year. Also the guys that had hands in signing him don’t work here anymore. Might be reading too much into this one. If it were rumours of a guy like Poolman who just signed a 4 year deal I’d understand this scenario of scaring off guys signing here but not Halak.

13 hours ago, DeNiro said:

No movement clause.

He won’t be waiving it to go to Edmonton if that’s what people are thinking.

We’ve got one of the best backups in the division and a brutal schedule coming up. Why would we wanna help a team we’re fighting against for a pick?

Yeah. It would not make any sense for the Canucks, who are chasing the Oilers for that last playoff spot, to give them a goalie that could haunt us in the pursuit of the playoffs. Would be the dumbest move Rutherford makes. He’s not going to make that move. If anything, if Jaro is going to be traded, it’s most likely going to be heading east. 

56 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

No I understand what you’re saying that it might impact future signings. All I’m thinking is he only signed a one year deal and if we’re out of the playoff picture he probably expects or would prefer that we did trade him. Him on the new team might be a better situation for him to play more on a better team and cash out even more for next year. Also the guys that had hands in signing him don’t work here anymore. Might be reading too much into this one. If it were rumours of a guy like Poolman who just signed a 4 year deal I’d understand this scenario of scaring off guys signing here but not Halak.

It’s a possibility. Only if he agrees to move. 

I get your point as well.