The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks trying to trade Halak

18 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

I think it has legs though because of the salary cap implications if Halak plays 2 more games for us. I like Halak but if he’s going to cost 1.5 mill to our cap next year without him even being on the roster due to bonus earnings just seems like poor cap management. I’d trade him for a 2nd or a 3rd to a needy team and bring up Dipietro.

DiPietro is not ready. He hasn’t played enough this season.

You’d essentially be throwing in the towel with a move like that. Too many back to backs left to go with an inexperienced rookie. Not to mention if Demko ends up in Covid protocol that’s the season. Whereas Halak could keep us in there.

Any trade would have to involve an experienced goalie in return. Someone like Elliott from Tampa.

37 minutes ago, lmm said:

ya I don't watch much Oiler hockey

but their coaching seems a little underwhelming

I've never been impressed with Playfair

Gulutzan and Wiseman were both forwards with not much on their resume

and Maybe Tippett is overrated as a Defensive guru, ( I really don't believe in Gurus) his run to the semis with Arizona seems like it might have been lightning in a bottle or the work of Mike Smith (still playing that card?)

I like the diversity of the Canucks coaching right now with Boudreau, the offensive guy, Walker the Wild Thing and Shaw the Defensive guy

not that nhl coaches have to be ex-players but Playfair, Wiseman and Gully have a combined 24 NHL games

Playfair is good for something. Lol.

Screenshot_20220106-155520_Samsung Internet.jpg

58 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Hard to say. I agree with you that there will be changes. Right now, Pearson is performing really well under BB. Dickinson isn't putting up points, but he is an effective guy at keeping the puck out of the net. Hamonic, it's really hard to get an accurate reading as he hasn't played much this season due to season start issue and then injury. He adds a more physical element when he's healthy and playing. Considering how hard it is to find effective RD lately, I don't think we'll flush him away without having someone else who can step in. Maybe Jett Woo?? I think he's close and plays RD.

We are in no way, as bad off on cap as a lot of fans seem to think for next year, but it will continue to be tight around the NHL for at least another couple of seasons. The more space we can pickup, the more opportunity there will be to make creative teams with teams who are hard against it.

My take on it is, if we can gain that extra 1.5 million to play with for building next season's roster, grab it. You never know what opportunities might pop up.

i don't agree dickinson is an effective guy at keeping the puck out of the net.. he's playing with horvat and hoglander on the 2nd line.. he's essentially occupying a top 6 spot doing nothing on there.. if he was keeping the puck out of the net in a 3rd or 4th line role great.. if he's doing that in a top 6 role?? u can essentailly toss any of the bottom 6 guys on there and prolly achieve the same thing like motte or whomever for far lesser cost

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol rask is coming back to boston and goaltending is hardly the issue with the flyers.. hart have a .917 sv% sabers are rebuilding and u ain't trading him to teams you are chasing unless you already threw in the white towel.. 

halak 100% would not consider vancouver if there wasn't a ntc nor would he signed for only 1.5mil guranateed.. bonus ain't a guranateed thing.. there's plenty of interest for his service and the NTC won him over as he gets to decide where he goes. 

halak won't be moved if we are still battling for a playoff spot come tdl and he doubt he waive to move until he hits his bonus. pearson and motte have value.. the rest have 0 value if u toss on waiver probably go unclaimed lol. poolman and dickinson can play but no one would want them at their cap/term lol.

Fair enough on Philly, I took a mulligan on that. Minnesota could also use a netminder since they're relying on Cam Talbot to be their #1 right now. There's no guarantee Rask is coming back for sure. He could back out. I was just throwing out examples.

I do agree about the NTC thing too with Halak. It's why the Canucks should've targeted a different netminder who didn't need an NTC to come here. Probably someone in the Martin Jones/Scott Wedgewood/Brian Elliott tier. None of those guys got NTC and they're all solid backups (with Jones being in the 1B tier more aligned with Halak).  Although I'm not sure anybody else would've offered Halak an NTC? It just feels like another classic example of Benning outbidding himself.

Rutherford is clearly trying to trade Halak. It's not going to be a matter of if but when, in my mind. Also, I'm not convinced that Rutherford (and Boudreau) think the Canucks can make the playoffs. This month will probably determine what the Canucks do at the deadline (sellers vs staying put, they wont be buyers). The days of Benning making all in moves for a chance at the playoffs after a mini miracle run to save his job are over. It's a big reset with this new management team and part of that reset will be our expectations. We may be chasing for a playoff spot but it's a big hill to climb, too big maybe. 

Trader Jim Rutherford will make moves. I think some of them will be shocking and I think some of them will be mundane (when they move Poolman out, it'll likely be a money in/money out situation, for example). Remember, Rutherford traded Pearson for Gudbranson and then moved Gudbranson out within 8 months of getting him. And that was after people on CDC thought Gudbranson was on an unmovable contract. If there's anyone who can make moves, it's Rutherford and company.

And you trade with someone like the Oilers because they're desperate and may overpay to fix a problem they have, even if you're "chasing them". You take advantage of weaker teams in desperate situations. That's what good organizations do.

If they trade Halak after not even half a season, then the Canucks would have no standing with other FA’s going forward. 

Trading Halak isn’t the way.

I think he’s played well enough and should continue to be our backup. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

i don't agree dickinson is an effective guy at keeping the puck out of the net.. he's playing with horvat and hoglander on the 2nd line.. he's essentially occupying a top 6 spot doing nothing on there.. if he was keeping the puck out of the net in a 3rd or 4th line role great.. if he's doing that in a top 6 role?? u can essentailly toss any of the bottom 6 guys on there and prolly achieve the same thing like motte or whomever for far lesser cost

No way Hose B.  

1 minute ago, Sharpshooter said:

If they trade Halak after not even half a season, then the Canucks would have no standing with other FA’s going forward. 

What if we can do Halak for Koskinen and Holloway?  Oiler’s still have to add a second?  

Just now, Alflives said:

What if we can do Halak for Koskinen and Holloway?  Oiler’s still have to add a second?  

The return is fine enough I suppose. 

However, the stain on the organization would be detrimental to future FA signings. Players and their agents(some or many) would look at what the Nucks did with Halak and steer clear for fear of being tossed aside in a trade and many would insist on NMCs, again, another hamper. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sharpshooter said:

The return is fine enough I suppose. 

However, the stain on the organization would be detrimental to future FA signings. Players and their agents(some or many) would look at what the Nucks did with Halak and steer clear for fear of being tossed aside in a trade and many would insist on NMCs, again, another hamper. 

Good point.  Plus, if Demko goes back to his early season play, then we are toast.  

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Koskinen adds no value to us.

Holloway would be a nice addition but no way the Oilers trade him to us for a rental. And no way Halak even waives for Edmonton so it’s kind of a moot point.

• Cheers 2

24 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Holloway would be a nice addition but no way the Oilers trade him to us for a rental. And no way Halak even waives for Edmonton so it’s kind of a moot point.

To hell with the Soilers then.  No Holloway; no deal.  

• Cheers 2

28 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Koskinen has negative value because he'll complain if he's put in the AHL, which is still a league too high for his ability.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

You're underestimating how terrible Koskinen is and how desperate Edmonton is to get rid of him.  In order to get an actual NHL goalie, that's an underpayment.

He is UFA at the end of the year.  It is a horrible contract; but its almost over.

Hey, don't let me spoil your fun?

7 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

He is UFA at the end of the year.  It is a horrible contract; but its almost over.

Hey, don't let me spoil your fun?

They're still desperate to get an actual goalie, and he just cried to the media because his coach was sick of him playing like trash.  If they're looking for a goalie, they're likely buyers and an ECHLer with his contract and attitude is going to be costly to get rid of, regardless of contract duration.  Halak and getting rid of the contract are each roughly worth around a second, and I'd add a premium due to it being a division of rival.  I stand by my assertion that Holloway isn't enough of a sweetener to take their sieve.

Edmonton is desperate to speed up the rebuild due to the possibility of McDiver wanting to leave that dump of a city and join an actual NHL team.

Edited by King Heffy

1 hour ago, Sharpshooter said:

Halak has a NMC so it would be his choice

IF he thinks its advantageous to go to Edmonton as a starter, he goes

IF New Jim handles the situation better than Old Jim handled Hamhius then there should be no backlash

Not every player in the league is the same as Alflives, thinking the "Soilers" are trash 

Players generally look for a situation where they get more work, check

can help a team succeed, check

and can play with stars, check

the Oilers are an opportunity 

Anything that Alflives can say about the Oilers today, could have been said about the Canucks a month ago, and yet Rutherford and Boudreau signed on