The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

In Memoriam, 2022: Legendary TV Broadcaster Barbara Walters Dead at 93, Pope Benedict XVI (95)

DonLever

https://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment/peter-bogdanovich-director-of-paper-moon-dead-at-82-1.5730175

Peter Bogdanovich, the ascot-wearing cinephile and director of 1970s black-and-white classics like "The Last Picture Show" and "Paper Moon," has died. He was 82.

Bogdanovich died early Thursday morning at this home in Los Angeles, said his daughter, Antonia Bogdanovich. She said he died of natural causes.

Considered part of a generation of young "New Hollywood" directors, Bogdanovich was heralded as an auteur from the start, with the chilling lone shooter film "Targets" and soon after "The Last Picture Show," from 1971, his evocative portrait of a small, dying town that earned eight Oscar nominations, won two (for Ben Johnson and Cloris Leachman) and catapulted him to stardom at the age of 32. He followed "The Last Picture Show" with the screwball comedy "What's Up, Doc?," starring Barbra Streisand and Ryan O'Neal, and then the Depression-era road trip film "Paper Moon," which won 10-year-old Tatum O'Neal an Oscar as well.

His turbulent personal life was also often in the spotlight, from his well-known affair with Cybill Shepherd that began during the making of "The Last Picture Show" while he was married to his close collaborator, Polly Platt, to the murder of his Playmate girlfriend Dorothy Stratten and his subsequent marriage to her younger sister, Louise, who was 29 years his junior.

Reactions came in swiftly at the news of his death.

"Oh dear, a shock. I am devastated. He was a wonderful and great artist," said Francis Ford Coppola in an email. "I'll never forgot attending a premiere for `The Last Picture Show.' I remember at its end, the audience leaped up all around me bursting into applause lasting easily 15 minutes. I'll never forget although I felt I had never myself experienced a reaction like that, that Peter and his film deserved it. May he sleep in bliss for eternity, enjoying the thrill of our applause forever."

Tatum O'Neal posted a photo of herself with him on Instagram, writing "Peter was my heaven & earth. A father figure. A friend. From `Paper Moon' to `Nickelodeon' he always made me feel safe. I love you, Peter."

Guillermo del Toro tweeted: "He was a dear friend and a champion of Cinema. He birthed masterpieces as a director and was a most genial human. He single-handedly interviewed and enshrined the lives and work of more classic filmmakers than almost anyone else in his generation."

Born in Kingston, New York, in 1939, Bogdanovich started out as a film journalist and critic, working as a film programmer at the Museum of Modern Art, where through a series of retrospectives he endeared himself to a host of old guard filmmakers including Orson Welles, Howard Hawks and John Ford.

"I've gotten some very important one-sentence clues like when Howard Hawks turned to me and said `Always cut on the movement and no one will notice the cut,"' he said in an interview with The Associated Press. "It was a very simple sentence but it profoundly effected everything I've done."

But his Hollywood education started earlier than that: His father took him at age 5 to see Charlie Chaplin and Buster Keaton movies at the Museum of Modern Art. He'd later make his own Keaton documentary, "The Great Buster," which was released in 2018.

Bogdanovich and Platt moved to Los Angeles in the mid-1960s, where they attended Hollywood parties and struck up friendships with director Roger Corman and Frank Marshall, then just an aspiring producer, who helped get the film "Targets" off the ground. And the professional ascent only continued for the next few films and years. But after "Paper Moon," which Platt collaborated on after they had separated, he would never again capture the accolades of those first five years in Hollywood.

Edited by DonLever

Oldtimers will recall Peter Bodanovich  had an affair with Dorothy Stratten, a Vancouver women who became a Playboy model in the early 1980's.

In was a big story in Vancouver back then when Dorothy Stratten was chosen a Playboy model.  And headline news when she murdered later by her husband, Paul Snider.

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, DonLever said:

Oldtimers will recall Peter Bodanovich  had an affair with Dorothy Stratten, a Vancouver women who became a Playboy model in the early 1980's.

In was a big story in Vancouver back then when Dorothy Stratten was chosen a Playboy model.  And headline news when she murdered later by her husband, Paul Snider.

She was "discovered" at a BC Lions game I believe.

Bodanovich even tried his hand at 'acting' (in this case, that excellent HBO series "The Sopranos"):

• Cheers 1

RIP Mr. Potier, RIP

Sidney Poitier, the first black man to win best actor Oscar and star of 'Guess Who's Coming to Dinner', dies aged 94

• Sir Sidney Poitier has died at 94, officials in the Bahamas confirmed on Friday morning 
  • Poitier was the first black actor to win an Academy Award for Best Actor, in 1964 
  • He was awarded a Knight Commander of the Order of the British Empire by Queen Elizabeth II in 1974
  • In 2009, he received the Presidential Medal of Freedom from Barack Obama 
  • Trailblazing actor starred in such classics as Guess Who's Coming to Dinner and Porgy and Bess

By GEORGE STARK FOR DAILYMAIL.COM

PUBLISHED: 10:08 EST, 7 January 2022 | UPDATED: 10:59 EST, 7 January 2022

Legendary Hollywood actor Sidney Poitier, the first black man to win an Oscar for best actor, has died. He was 94.  

His passing was confirmed on Friday morning by Fred Mitchell, Minister of Foreign Affairs, for the Bahamas, where Poitier grew up. His cause of death is not yet known.  

Poitier's trailblazing acting career saw him win an Oscar in 1964 for his role in Lilies of the Field him, and earn two further Academy Award nominations, ten Golden Globes nominations, two Primetime Emmy Awards nominations, six BAFTA nominations, eight Laurel nominations, and one Screen Actors Guild Awards nomination. 

Twice-married, he had four daughters with his first wife Juanita Hardy and two with his second wife Joanna Shimkus. 

RIP: Oscar-winning Hollywood star Sir Sidney Poitier has died at 94

+11
  •  

RIP: Oscar-winning Hollywood star Sir Sidney Poitier has died at 94

Legendary career: Poitier with Pearl Bailey in 1959's Porgy and Bess

+11
  •  

Legendary career: Poitier with Pearl Bailey in 1959's Porgy and Bess

In 1967's Guess Who's Coming to Dinner he played a black man with a white fiancée in a groundbreaking role

+11
  •  

In 1967's Guess Who's Coming to Dinner he played a black man with a white fiancée in a groundbreaking role

Actor Sidney Poitier receives the Presidential Medal of Freedom from U.S. President Barack Obama during a ceremony in the East Room of the White House in 2009

+11
  •  

Actor Sidney Poitier receives the Presidential Medal of Freedom from U.S. President Barack Obama during a ceremony in the East Room of the White House in 2009

Final photo: Poitier is seen with his daughter in February 2021 celebrating his 94th birthday

+11
  •  
Poitier is seen on his 92nd birthday in 2019

+11
  •  

In the last known photo of him, Poitier is seen left in February 2021 celebrating his 94th birthday. Right, he is at his 92nd birthday in 2019

During his first marriage, he began a nine-year affair with actress Diahann Carroll who he met when they worked together on the 1959 movie Porgy and Bess.  

In 2016, Poitier was awarded a BAFTA fellowship, but did not attend the event due to ill health. 

Actor Jeffrey Wright lead tributes on Friday, tweeting: 'Sidney Poitier. What a landmark actor. One of a kind. What a beautiful, gracious, warm, genuinely regal man. RIP, Sir. With love.' 

Poitier received the Kennedy Center Honor in 1995 and an received the Presidential Medal of Freedom from Barack Obama in 2009. 

He was also awarded an Knight Commander of the Order of the British Empire by Queen Elizabeth II in 1974. 

Poitier created a distinguished film legacy in a single year with three 1967 films at a time when segregation prevailed in much of the United States.

In 'Guess Who's Coming to Dinner' he played a black man with a white fiancée and 'In the Heat of the Night' he was Virgil Tibbs, a black police officer confronting racism during a murder investigation. He also played a teacher in a tough London school that year in 'To Sir, With Love.'

At the time, Poitier had already won his history-making best actor Oscar for Lilies of the Field in 1963, playing a handyman who helps German nuns build a chapel in the desert. Five years before that Poitier had been the first black man nominated for a lead actor Oscar for his role in The Defiant Ones.

Poitier won his history-making best actor Oscar for Lilies of the Field in 1963, playing a handyman who helps German nuns build a chapel in the desert

+11
  •  

Poitier won his history-making best actor Oscar for Lilies of the Field in 1963, playing a handyman who helps German nuns build a chapel in the desert

Sidney Poitier and Tony Curtis are seen filming The Defiant Ones in 1958

+11
  •  

Sidney Poitier and Tony Curtis are seen filming The Defiant Ones in 1958

His Tibbs character from In the Heat of the Night was immortalized in two sequels - They Call Me Mister Tibbs! in 1970 and The Organization in 1971 - and became the basis of the television series In the Heat of the Night starring Carroll O'Connor and Howard Rollins.

His other classic films of that era included A Patch of Blue in 1965 in which his character is befriended by a blind white girl, The Blackboard Jungle and A Raisin in the Sun, which Poitier also performed on Broadway.

Poitier was born in Miami on February 20, 1927, and raised on a tomato farm in the Bahamas, and had just one year of formal schooling. He struggled against poverty, illiteracy and prejudice to become one of the first black actors to be known and accepted in major roles by mainstream audiences.

Poitier picked his roles with care, burying the old Hollywood idea that black actors could appear only in demeaning contexts as shoeshine boys, train conductors and maids.

'I love you, I respect you, I imitate you,' Denzel Washington, another Oscar winner, once told Poitier at a public ceremony.

As a director, Poitier worked with his friend Harry Belafonte and Bill Cosby in 'Uptown Saturday Night' in 1974 and Richard Pryor and Gene Wilder in 1980's 'Stir Crazy.'

Poitier grew up in the small Bahamian village of Cat Island and in Nassau before he moved to New York at 16, lying about his age to sign up for a short stint in the Army and then working at odd jobs, including dishwasher, while taking acting lessons.

Poitier picked his roles with care, burying the old Hollywood idea that black actors could appear only in demeaning contexts as shoeshine boys, train conductors and maids

+11
  •  

Poitier picked his roles with care, burying the old Hollywood idea that black actors could appear only in demeaning contexts as shoeshine boys, train conductors and maids

The young actor got his first break when he met the casting director of the American Negro Theater. He was an understudy in 'Days of Our Youth' and took over when the star, Belafonte, who also would become a pioneering black actor, fell ill.

Poitier went on to success on Broadway in 'Anna Lucasta' in 1948 and, two years later, got his first movie role in 'No Way Out' with Richard Widmark.

In all, he acted in more than 50 films and directed nine, starting in 1972 with 'Buck and the Preacher' in which he co-starred with Belafonte.

In 1992, Poitier was given the Life Achievement Award by the American Film Institute, the most prestigious honor after the Oscar, joining recipients such as Bette Davis, Alfred Hitchcock, Fred Astaire, James Cagney and Orson Welles.

'I must also pay thanks to an elderly Jewish waiter who took time to help a young black dishwasher learn to read,' Poitier told the audience. 'I cannot tell you his name. I never knew it. But I read pretty good now.'

In 2002, an honorary Oscar recognized 'his remarkable accomplishments as an artist and as a human being.'

Poitier married actress Joanna Shimkus, his second wife, in the mid-1970s. He had six daughters with his two wives and wrote three books - 'This Life' (1980), 'The Measure of a Man: A Spiritual Autobiography' (2000) and 'Life Beyond Measure: Letters to My Great-Granddaughter' (2008).

Poitier married actress Joanna Shimkus, his second wife, in the mid-1970s. Above they are seen together in The Lost Man

+11
  •  

Poitier married actress Joanna Shimkus, his second wife, in the mid-1970s. Above they are seen together in The Lost Man

Joanna Shimkus and Sidney Poitier during the 69th Annual Golden Globe Awards held at the Beverly Hilton Hotel in 2012

+11
  •  

Joanna Shimkus and Sidney Poitier during the 69th Annual Golden Globe Awards held at the Beverly Hilton Hotel in 2012

'If you apply reason and logic to this career of mine, you're not going to get very far,' he told the Washington Post. 'The journey has been incredible from its beginning. So much of life, it seems to me, is determined by pure randomness.'

Poitier wrote three autobiographical books and in 2013 published 'Montaro Caine,' a novel that was described as part mystery, part science fiction.

Poitier was knighted by Britain's Queen Elizabeth II in 1974 and served as the Bahamian ambassador to Japan and to UNESCO, the U.N. cultural agency. He also sat on Walt Disney Co's board of directors from 1994 to 2003.

In 2009, Poitier was awarded the highest U.S. civilian honor, the Presidential Medal of Freedom, by President Barack Obama.

The 2014 Academy Awards ceremony marked the 50th anniversary of Poitier's historic Oscar and he was there to present the award for best director.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Sad 1

On 1/6/2022 at 8:18 PM, NewbieCanuckFan said:

She was "discovered" at a BC Lions game I believe.

Bodanovich even tried his hand at 'acting' (in this case, that excellent HBO series "The Sopranos"):

Dorothy Straten was discovered serving up a peanut buster parfait (that bit is an embellishment) by a Playboy scout/photographer in a Dairy Queen in Vancouver.  It's crazy, just the sheer number and disproportionate number of beautiful women on the west coast of Canada (and I lived in Montreal, a city with a reputation for having the most beautiful women in Canada, for eight years).

RIP Peter Bogdanovich.

RIP Sidney Poitier.

LEGENDS, both.

RIP Bob Saget. 

RIP Betty White (Dec. 31)

2022...taking away icons already.  Please stop.

Edited by bigbadcanucks
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

• DonLever changed the title to In Memoriam, 2022: Director Peter Bogdanovich Dead (82), Sidney Poitier (94) (First Black man to Win Academy Award)
38 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Dorothy Straten was discovered serving up a peanut buster parfait (that bit is an embellishment) by a Playboy scout/photographer in a Dairy Queen in Vancouver.  It's crazy, just the sheer number and disproportionate number of beautiful women on the west coast of Canada (and I lived in Montreal, a city with a reputation for having the most beautiful women in Canada, for eight years).

RIP Peter Bogdanovich.

RIP Sidney Poitier.

LEGENDS, both.

It's weird how things just turn out sometimes.  Take the iconic Canadian rock band Rush.  Back when Geddy Lee was just a teenager he was good friends with someone in high school.  That obviously isn't the odd thing.  Anyhow, both of them went to a rock concert & soon had this idea to form a band themselves.  Problem was, both of them wanted to play the bass.  They "dueled" each other & not surprisingly, both knew who the better  bassist was.  The other guy soon turned to his other main interest, hockey.  That guy turned out to be hockey Hall of famer Steve Shutt.  Thing is, the band still needed a guitarist.  Shutt had this other friend who also went to their high school.  That guy was Alex Lifeson.  He introduced Geddy Lee to Alex Lifeson & the rest as they say was history (well not until Peart became the drummer lol).

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

18 hours ago, DonLever said:

“Cover Girl” by Prism is a tribute song to Dorothy.   

FBE60E78-0D1C-4863-B554-D9FC75A315F9.jpeg

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, sonoman said:

“Cover Girl” by Prism is a tribute song to Dorothy.   

FBE60E78-0D1C-4863-B554-D9FC75A315F9.jpeg

I've met Al Harlow (far left of that photo)

He is so nice, it's crazy. Me and the guys in the band I was playing for referred to him as "Flanders" whenever his name came up.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

50 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I've met Al Harlow (far left of that photo)

He is so nice, it's crazy. Me and the guys in the band I was playing for referred to him as "Flanders" whenever his name came up.

Huge, huge loss when Ron Tabak died.

Think that was the first time I heard about ICP-  Inter Cranial Pressure. In essence, after being struck by  a car, Ron's brain began to bleed and since there is nowhere for the blood to drain to it began to push his brain down towards the spinal column. Puts pressure on the area of the brain that controls automatic functions like breathing, leading to death.

Unfortunately the symptoms of confusion and head pain can, at first glance be taken for intoxication. He went to the hospital, but was misdiagnosed and released.

On his way out of the hospital he became abusive, and was considered intoxicated, taken to jail where he was found unconscious a few hrs later.

Back to the hospital, but too late to save him.

Was a big topic of discussion during  my Industrial First Aid course.- Now called OFA level 3.

Edited by gurn
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

• DonLever changed the title to In Memoriam, 2022: Director Peter Bogdanovich (82), Sidney Poitier (94) (First Black Man to Win Academy Award)
6 hours ago, bigbadcanucks said:

RIP Peter Bogdanovich.

RIP Sidney Poitier.

LEGENDS, both.

Both cities have their fair share....while Edmonton........oh wait my mom is from there....never mind. 

• Haha 2

Poitier was so much more influential and important as the first black man to win an Oscar.  Bogdanovich was so important too but not at the same level.  Poitier's passing makes me weep, even as a white man. He moved me in To Sir With Love, the first movie I saw him in and then there, there were so many others that were fabulous.  His body of work was just so stunning.  His influence was beyond peer.  

Bob Saget has died at the age of 65 ... TMZ has learned.

Multiple sources connected to the iconic comedian and actor -- most famous for his starring role as Danny Tanner in 'Full House' -- tell us he passed away Sunday at the Ritz-Carlton in Orlando.

The Sheriff's Department and the fire department responded to the hotel around 4 PM ET ... after hotel security had found Bob in his room. We're told he was pronounced dead on the scene, but the circumstances of his death are still unclear.

full house

Bob's been touring the country lately, hitting a lot of destinations throughout the state of Florida, including in Orlando, which got started in September and was supposed to take him through May.

On Saturday night, he was in Jacksonville doing a show at the Ponte Vedra Concert Hall ... where he actually shouted out the crowd early Sunday morning.

Saget wrote, "Loved tonight’s show @PV_ConcertHall in Jacksonville. Appreciative audience. Thanks again to @RealTimWilkins for opening. I had no idea I did a 2 hr set tonight. I’m happily addicted again to this $&!#. Check http://BobSaget.com for my dates in 2022."

Saget played the patriarch on the hit ABC sitcom for almost 10 years, landing the lead star role in 1987 and finishing out its first iteration in '95 -- opposite stars John Stamos, Dave Coulier, of course ... not to mention his TV daughters, Candace Cameron, Jodie Sweetin as well as Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen, who swapped the duties of portraying Michelle.

While his turn as the quintessential family man is what a lot of people will remember him for -- truth is, Saget was a pretty raunchy guy ... especially in his stand-up comedy. BS's comedy contributions were put on full display in his memorable Comedy Central roast ... where a ton of his longtime comic buddies tore him a new one, kiddingly and with love.

He proved to be a good sport ... taking shots from the likes of Gilbert Gottfried, Norm Macdonald, Greg Giraldo, Jon Lovitz, Jeff Ross, Brian Posehn and others. He even had some jokes of his own to fire off ... making for perhaps one of the most memorable roasts in the Comedy Central vault -- speaking to Saget's influence on the craft.

In addition to his stand-up and 'Full House' fame ... Saget will also be remembered as a fan fave host of "America's Funniest Home Videos," of which he served as host from '89 to '97, running concurrently with his time/tone on 'FH.' Speaking of Mr. Tanner ... he reprised his role for Netflix's reboot of the franchise, "Fuller House," which ran for 4 years and ended in 2020.

Bob's other notable acting credits include ... a recurring role on 'Entourage,' in which he played a zany version of himself, the narrator's voice of 'How I Met Your Mother,' another sitcom he starred in called 'Raising Dad,' one of the penguins in "Farce of the Penguins," the lead in "Surviving Suburbia," and standout cameo in 'Half Baked' as a recovering crack head ... among many, many other appearances on film and television over the years.

Lately, he's been getting back to his roots with a podcast series called "Bob Saget's Here for You," and was even featured as one of the celebrity guests on the "Masked Singer" not too long ago.

He wished Jeff Ross a happy 41st birthday, and seemed to be in really good spirits.

Bob is survived by his wife, Kelly Rizzo, and 3 children.

RIP

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Sad 2

• DonLever changed the title to In Memoriam, 2022: Peter Bogdanovich (82), Sidney Poitier (94) Bob Saget (65)