The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If Sellers, Sell Early

Just a quick, suggestion-thread, based on some recent trends/observations:

1- Came to my awareness, from an HF thread I saw: The top-8 in the East are already basically carved in stone. The Isles could make a charge, but are likely too far back.

So 7, 8 strong sellers should be working phones from the east. Of the 8 PO shoo-ins, perhaps(2) have significant cap space for extravagance.

2- Fortunately the west is more up for grabs. Although I'd imagine 4 or 5 more fall back before TDL. Thus there'll likely be maybe 14, 15 aggressive sellers by March.

3- In short, if you define your team a seller, it may be wise to move early.

4- Randomly a question: If you aren't a top-half(of whole league), worthy foe, are more ownerships deciding to cut bait, & go all-in pursuing futures in youth/picks? In the armchair GM/tech age, seems the only 2 ways to maintain fanbase interest is either WIN, or accumulate a wealth/horde of prospects. A proper, loaded pipeline also appears to keep a fanbase committed.

Isn't it strange how(apparent) key TV markets & major US cities seem to always receive THE star player(oft signed to good deals), or a slew of youth/picks compared to their counterparts from the 'lower half'. This in addition to falling back(for a yr or two) yet MIRACULOUSLY winning a lotto(when they do slide back)

• Upvote 1

Yeah, out east it's basically a few teams beating up on the rest. West as a whole is more competitive. Things could change, but it'll probably be eight of the current top ten eastern teams. But yeah, could very well be a buyers market this year. 

A good prospect pool helps promote optimism in the future, being caught in the middle with a shallow/middling prospect pool and a middling roster is death. Better to be in or closer to the bottom than no man's land.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

We'll have to see how these next few weeks pan out but yeah.

Cali teams have kept up. Can't expect the flames/Oilers to both fall down the standings the rest of the way.

Central division alone could take up those 2 wildcard spots. Teams out there have been playing well lately and the lot of them have games in hand of the Pacific.

We can't afford losses.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, gurn said:

I'm ok with being a middle team, for a year or two, but only on our way up.

I'd also like JR to decide soon, to maximize what ever way he's going.

Might be beneficial to face this grueling road test now. By Feb, we should be able to clearly define our immediate strategy.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Just a quick, suggestion-thread, based on some recent trends/observations:

1- Came to my awareness, from an HF thread I saw: The top-8 in the East are already basically carved in stone. The Isles could make a charge, but are likely too far back.

So 7, 8 strong sellers should be working phones from the east. Of the 8 PO shoo-ins, perhaps(2) have significant cap space for extravagance.

2- Fortunately the west is more up for grabs. Although I'd imagine 4 or 5 more fall back before TDL. Thus there'll likely be maybe 14, 15 aggressive sellers by March.

4- Randomly a question: If you aren't a top-half(of whole league), worthy foe, are more ownerships deciding to cut bait, & go all-in pursuing futures in youth/picks? In the armchair GM/tech age, seems the only 2 ways to maintain fanbase interest is either WIN, or accumulate a wealth/horde of prospects. A proper, loaded pipeline also appears to keep a fanbase committed.

Isn't it strange how(apparent) key TV markets & major US cities seem to always receive THE star player(oft signed to good deals), or a slew of youth/picks compared to their counterparts from the 'lower half'. This in addition to falling back(for a yr or two) yet MIRACULOUSLY winning a lotto(when they do slide back)

When there are that many sellers, maybe we should do our best to not sell. 

Win some games in January and we are in the playoff race. I hope we become buyers and pick up some nice players to gear up for the stretch drive and playoff run.

We just need to make the playoffs. As I see it, anyone can come out of Pacific division. Vegas is good but I think thy are beatable.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

The age old problem is how do we know if we are a buyer or a seller until everybody else does?

Besides, I don't really like these exaggerated dichotomies.  The media loves to grab attention by making everything do or die, A or B, this or that.  There are more than two positions to be in and there is more than one strategy to build a winning team.  Yes, some teams make the playoffs and some teams don't but there is a whole lot more to building a cup winning team than just that.  I say stay the course as long as possible, as long as we are winning, to find out more about what we have.  We already went through a lot of turnover this past year and we are still sorting out the instability caused by that.  Not to mention the coaching and management changes.  I think Rutherford or whoever the full time GM turns out to be would be wise to be patient and only make a deal if it is an obvious improvement.  We don't need more turnover just for the sake of turnover, we need more stability.  

Go Canucks Go!

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, nux_win said:

The age old problem is how do we know if we are a buyer or a seller until everybody else does?

Besides, I don't really like these exaggerated dichotomies.  The media loves to grab attention by making everything do or die, A or B, this or that.  There are more than two positions to be in and there is more than one strategy to build a winning team.  Yes, some teams make the playoffs and some teams don't but there is a whole lot more to building a cup winning team than just that.  I say stay the course as long as possible, as long as we are winning, to find out more about what we have.  We already went through a lot of turnover this past year and we are still sorting out the instability caused by that.  Not to mention the coaching and management changes.  I think Rutherford or whoever the full time GM turns out to be would be wise to be patient and only make a deal if it is an obvious improvement.  We don't need more turnover just for the sake of turnover, we need more stability.  

Go Canucks Go!

So as mentioned above, this arduous, challenging roadie seems quite timely.

Should we buy/sell marginal pieces, all this calculating prob matters not. However, should we define ourselves sellers(ergo: road trip's a dog), it's possibly better to make the move earlier, if we decide to part with a significant piece.

37 minutes ago, khay said:

When there are that many sellers, maybe we should do our best to not sell. 

Win some games in January and we are in the playoff race. I hope we become buyers and pick up some nice players to gear up for the stretch drive and playoff run.

We just need to make the playoffs. As I see it, anyone can come out of Pacific division. Vegas is good but I think thy are beatable.

How could we afford to be buyers when we're already a capped out team dipping into LTIR? We've still gotta keep space for Hamonic's return.

Edited by Coconuts

2 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Except:

• The longer you wait, the more cap flexibility your trading partner may have (ex - a $5M cap hit guy only requires about $1M cap space at the deadline, based on 17 games remaining)
  • Deadline deals often get more in return due to urgency
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Guys to sell:

Motte:  two seconds

Halak:  good prospect.

Miller:  elite prospect, good young player, and a first.

I'd only sell Motte if they feel that Lockwood is ready to step in. He'll probably get you a 2nd only, not two of them.  

Halak should be sold closer to the deadline if we're further out of a playoff spot.  More time for contenders to have their goalies get hurt, etc. 

I really think that there is a market for Hamonic if he gets back on the ice and in shape.  

Lastly, call me crazy but I think that Brad Hunt could be sold for a late round pick if we aren't planning on bringing him back next year. 

Has the narrative changed with JR now in command?  Benning was selling playoffs to the owners and fan base "in 2 years"

For some reason I thought JR said that he wants them to get younger, so they can grow as a team and be a competitive playoff team every year. But maybe that doesn't mean this year, as per Benning's plan.

I believe, after JR has hired the GM (Allvin) and the A/GMs, there is going to be a bit of a housecleaning, and also more draft picks acquired for VAN this year. I'm not sure they make the playoffs, but you never know. 

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

How could we afford to be buyers when we're already a capped out team dipping into LTIR? We've still gotta keep space for Hamonic's return.

I'm not saying we go for high salary players.

There should be underpaid players walking into UFA or an RFA that is getting out of the price range of the current teams.

Blake Coleman was paid only 1.8 mil when TB got him. Yes, it cost them a first (ours) but there should be other good players in a similar situation that cost less that we could target. Fitting those small salaries should be doable.

3 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I'd only sell Motte if they feel that Lockwood is ready to step in. He'll probably get you a 2nd only, not two of them.  

Halak should be sold closer to the deadline if we're further out of a playoff spot.  More time for contenders to have their goalies get hurt, etc. 

I really think that there is a market for Hamonic if he gets back on the ice and in shape.  

Lastly, call me crazy but I think that Brad Hunt could be sold for a late round pick if we aren't planning on bringing him back next year. 

I hope we give Di Giuseppe a go, he's looked good in the AHL (in fact I think both he and Bailey should come up if Chiasson and Motte get traded).
Yeah trade Halak if we're even close to being out, since other teams want him (Edmonton, probably Colorado, maybe Carolina/ TB).
Hopefully for Hamonic and Poolman.  Agreed Hunt can probably be moved, even a 5th would be great.

Think it's ship off the spare parts and trade assets, then if possible add a minor piece (e.g. some cheap, defensive 3rd pair LD). 

Given how good we've been lately I don't think we should be sellers just yet, I think we should stick to our guns. We have been playing like a playoff team since Boudreau arrived, it's just Green's deep hole that makes us look rubbish in the standings, but with a few more games and a bit more time, we'll essentially swap places with Edmonton and then this chat of "sellers" and "buyers" will swap.

I think we're in this middle-ground right now where we shouldn't be either - we should only really consider lateral trades to make the team better (for example, trade a top young forward for a top young defenceman).

The next 20 games are huge for us and will basically tell us how good or bad we are by the TDL, but regardless, I don't think we're either a seller or buyer. We have some pieces we may consider moving out due to cap hit (people talk of Motte but I hope not, Halak etc.) but we shouldn't be selling away our veteran players (Pearson, Miller, Myers) because they're all still super valuable to our team not just now but even in the near (1-3 years) future and will vastly help our young kids.

• Vintage 1