The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Activision Blizzard to be Acquired by Microsoft

Shekky

So big news out of video game industry but Microsoft is trying to buy Activision Blizzard. The deal if allowed to go forward should be complete by 2023.

Xbox has announced a deal to buy Activision Blizzard, the company behind Call of Duty, World of Warcraft and many other major gaming franchises – coming in at a stupefying $68.7 billion.

Announced on Xbox Wire, the deal means Xbox will soon own the likes of Call of Duty, Warcraft, Overwatch, Diablo, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, and much more. CEO of Microsoft Gaming Phil Spencer announced that all Activision Blizzard companies would report to him after the deal is closed.

No timescale has been given for how long the deal will take to close, and it's likely that the deal will be examined as to whether it creates a monopoly before it's formally approved. Spencer confirmed that Activision Blizzard would continue to run as an independent company until the deal is complete.

Update: In an email sent to Activision Blizzard employees, CEO Bobby Kotick says the company expects the deal to close "sometime in Microsoft’s fiscal 2023 year ending June 30, 2023".

here is a link to the article.

https://www.ign.com/articles/xbox-activision-blizzard-buy-acquisition-acquired

Edited by Shekky

I used to play World of Warcraft a lot and then after Cataclysm I stopped playing and played it off an on a little bit but never at the same level I did for Vanilla to Wrath of the Lich King and now the game is just in an absolutely terrible state now so hopefully the purchase can improve the dev teams for some of these games but I think at this point though Microsoft doesn't fix the companies they acquire though so I am not expecting much to come from this.

• Upvote 1

I liked the old school Blizzard stuff.  

Warcraft, Starcraft, Diablo...

Was out of gaming for a lot of years and missed the WoW phase and by the time got back into gaming it just seemed archaic.

Some big IPs there.  Overwatch is huge, Hearthstone and CandyCrush are big IPs as well.  Spyro and Crash Bandicoot and some horrible looking mobile games.  

Guess need to justify that purchase price.

23 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Was out of gaming for a lot of years and missed the WoW phase and by the time got back into gaming it just seemed archaic.

Some big IPs there.  Overwatch is huge, Hearthstone and CandyCrush are big IPs as well.  Spyro and Crash Bandicoot and some horrible looking mobile games.  

Wouldn't be surprised to see a new Warcraft since they just did AoE4.

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

I loved Starcraft as a kid.

40 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Wouldn't be surprised to see a new Warcraft since they just did AoE4.

Loved AoE 2

1 hour ago, Shekky said:

I used to play World of Warcraft a lot and then after Cataclysm I stopped playing and played it off an on a little bit but never at the same level I did for Vanilla to Wrath of the Lich King and now the game is just in an absolutely terrible state now so hopefully the purchase can improve the dev teams for some of these games but I think at this point though Microsoft doesn't fix the companies they acquire though so I am not expecting much to come from this.

I'm playing Wow classic/TBC. Is it a nostalgia trip? Yes. But the play balance is back. After Wrath things went sideways. I stopped playing the retail version at Legion. 

Must be nice for the shareholders of Activision/Blizzard. 

8 minutes ago, Mj2345 said:

Microsoft has had a great generation so far, MLB The Show is on Xbox after many years of no great Baseball simulation, acquired Bethesda and now Activision Blizzard, what’s next? Take 2 Interactive?

Can't wait for the next gamepass update. Glad I've got a 2TB external hard drive:)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

Can't wait for the next gamepass update. Glad I've got a 2TB external hard drive:)

Do u have Series X? I just have a Xbox Series S i need to get the Seagate expansion card but I’m also planning to get the Series X for my living room TV and move the Series S to my bedroom(Series S is a nice little console I’ve had fun with it)

Edited by Mj2345

3 minutes ago, Mj2345 said:

Do u have Series X? I just have a Xbox Series S i need to get the Seagate expansion card but I’m also planning to get the Series X for my living room TV and move the Series S to my bedroom(Series S is a nice little console I’ve had fun with it)

Unfortunately, I'm on the One. I haven't been able to find anywhere that has Series X.