The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Edmonton Oilers at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 25, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

The stick clutching and second guessing are all over some players who prior to this year were very much natural or gifted talents.  

Petey, he showed the early flash with the first goal.  He stole the puck and then he drove the play to the high danger area and scored.  

When was the last time he did that, something that he did consistently prior to this season, drive the play.  There may be issues with missing camp that he never got over early, maybe a lack of off ice training, or he is just not confident this season for reasons no one knows but him and those around him.  

For what ever reasons, Petey is not sulking, but hopefully Bruce can un coach any hesitations out of his game, getting him back to the player he is more than capable being, a guy playing as hard as Miller and Motte, the pass in OT was a gaffe and not smart… he looked gassed and he needs to be the guy who wants the puck when the game is on the line, instead of seeking to give it to someone else.  

to paraphrase, the replacements, Gene Hackman… to Keeuno Reeves… best movie to watch for best cheerleader squad of all time…. 

Anyways Koss, the goalie for Edmonton, who played a hard game, as good as they have for months, looks like getting on the road has done them good.  

They had their top line up, we did not, with our 3rd string goalie and they needed 50 shots, the refs and OT to win.  

So can we stop the panic and foaming at the mouth for trades, Rutherford just hired his GM and don’t think things aren’t in the works.  This team is a bubble team that could still go either way, sometimes, a deal to move a veteran can benefit the team today, and tomorrow, vs just tomorrow.  

The players are there, we have some key depth in key ways in key positions that contenders want to acquire at ridiculous prices at the TDL, so let Rutherford Used players and New Players and factor discount seconds that never quite made it to the NHL make you a deal you cannot refuse to your fans, your hype and hopes, at the TDL.  

We have depth, in some ways too much and I like Martin, he let in a soft goal, a technical error, that is a coaching fix… good thing we have Clark.  So just let your mind go with more ice time in Abbey Silvos and Mikey, 1.5 less in cap paid out and returns, draft picks and or prospects and a cap dump goalie in return maybe.. for Halak.  

Martin has one rare ability, to take away the bottom of the net better than most over goalies I have seen play.  

Both goals were high, the second one, that was not on Martin, the first was and is a coaching fix… 

Koss played well.  The Canucks weren’t a match for the Oilers, but consider who was missing from each roster and that Martin could be the next Markstrom if Clark can fix his game in areas that can be coached.  That and with Demko, having a guy that can steal games as a backup, which I think Martin can be, then role the dice at Gentleman Jim Rutherford’s Used Players and see if you win a free goalie!  

for those slagging Mikey, what has this team done to develop him?  Added he is a smaller player in that position.   The guy that savaged the Canucks in the finals, he was also the better goalie in the series, mentally and physically, was smaller too.  

what you don’t think of is wingspan and Mikey has a really good wingspan and is nearly as flexible as Martin.  like other players in the organization, he isn’t playing with the confidence he has prior to this year.  But he is not alone and currently went from 3rd in team depth to a 4th while having to give way and share ice time with the 5 th player at that position… that’s rough.  

Playing time and watch the interviews in Abbey, clearly Martin is aware that Vancouver has a long history of Goalie bashing and controversy, since we can’t slack Halak and would be mental to down Demko, Martin is stirred, not shaken and so we go after the 4th string goalie with vitriol… wow, that’s just sad.  

As for dealing Motte, sign him!  IDK, but he is a gem… 

Miller, what fortitude would this roster without Miller at the current time in our forwards.  I think I would sign Miller and move one of the younger depth guys for a larger return or a player for player swap to re balance or address the roster by position, or for two guys that could benefit from a change of scenery.  

Keep. Myers,  Schenn, lose Poolman, keep Burroughs and bring up from the farm from here on out if we move a right handed D man.  This could be off-season.  

Left side, leave it.  Don’t trade away the left side but add too it.  But too much of the same thing is not good for all the time.  So we have some smaller stature big game guys, Gallagher 2.0’s.  Garland is the best, Hogs is the next, so we have a decent left side with Miller Garland and Podz or Hogz.  

So we got out played and out muscled by a team desperately trying save their season and it was with their roster vs our depleted roster.  

It can live with the point.  This team has lots of dark horse bubble left in it, so a neither sell for the future, nor sell the future for today TDL… 

Popcorn for me on the CDC..

A loss, so bad, but a point which isn’t good nor bad, and we saw so depth players maybe make roster players expendable.. yeah team depth… 

or the sky is falling, trade the roster and burn the building down and rebuild the entire thing… sorry… hyperbolic statements are just my way of trying to relate…

Phats..

What dollar and term do you see Miller signing for in Vancouver?

I was so pissed off when McJesus scored in OT, in disgust I walked out of the room, saying "I hate the *&^%ing Oiler, I hate the Leafs, I hate the Flames". Then you realize, this team is missing Bo, Pearson, Garland, and Demko. The guys have stepped up, and for once I'd like to see a healthy lineup. What a revelation Spencer Martin has been.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

I was so pissed off when McJesus scored in OT, in disgust I walked out of the room, saying "I hate the *&^%ing Oiler, I hate the Leafs, I hate the Flames". Then you realize, this team is missing Bo, Pearson, Garland, and Demko. The guys have stepped up, and for once I'd like to see a healthy lineup. What a revelation Spencer Martin has been.

The playoffs are a long shot at this point, do I'm just enjoying watching them work hard and play hard.  They're enjoyable to watch right now.  It's unfortunate that tyeir first quarter was so bad because had they played this way out of the gate they'd likely be right behind the Knights.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

That was a heart-wrencher of a game to lose last night. Any time we lose to the Oilers it sucks.

Some thoughts on the game.

Martin played well but was probably his own worst enemy on the soft goal that made it 2-1. You just cant let those goals in the NHL. That's the difference between being in the NHL or the AHL. He played great in his two games and i wouldn't be upset if he was our back up next year with Clark working with him. He was not the reason they lost though.

The offense needs to score more than 3 goals a game. if you dont you will not win many games in this league. Not too many teams are winning the 1-0 game anymore. We need our highest paid forwards to produce like they are highest paid forwards or we are not going anywhere. Nice goal by Petey last night. Miller with a great defensive play and pass  to Motte for the shorthanded goal. We just didnt have enough depth to produce last night.

Im not sure what to say about Myers. Some nights he looks amazing. A guy that big that can skate and flies into the O zone. Then he looks like he did last night where on one shift he really seemed to be struggling to get his feet moving. He looked gassed and slow.  Then in OT where he should never be out, he dumps the puck in giving up possession

to a team that has hemmed us in throughout the extra period. Its not only not a smart play its either plain laziness or the inability to understand how to play the game 3 on 3. Either way he should never see the ice in OT again.

Brad Hunt should never see the ice in the NHL again. I don't see anything of value in his game. BB must but I'm not seeing it.

Dickenson needs to be moved. He isn't what he was advertised as and really isn't a contributor in any category. I am not sure what Bruce was thinking putting him out in OT. You already gave up the point to the Oilers with the two goals in the third. At least try to get the second point with some offensive players.

Hoglander and Podkolzin. I sometimes am unsure what the deal is with these two players. Hoglander has had dozens of grade A chances this last month and cannot buy a goal. Maybe OT would have been a good chance to see what he can do. But you need the chance to be able to show it and I'm sure they would have been at least as efficient as Dickenson. Podz has been hit and miss but we expect that from a rookie. Again hard to score when you are stapled to the bench. if he isn't going to play in those situations we wont know what he can do.

For those wanting to blow up the team its pretty clear we have needs especially on D. Right D to be exact. We may have to make a hockey trade to attain that but who we trade may be an argument from almost everyone here. When healthy Horvat and Miller drive a lot of the play. They should, they are our two best centers. Horvat is our best face off guy and if you think that hasn't been noticeable the last week or so you haven't been watching the games.How much better would the PP or the PK be if he was in to take some of the draws? Would the Oilers have had 50 shots if they started without the puck a few less times?

When Boeser plays with Miller and Petey they are dangerous.

Horvat with Pearson and Garland is another good line .

Hogs and Pods can be on the third line with Dickenson. They are still young players and we have better players at this time ahead of them for ice time. Dickenson is not a very good player from what we have seen and if he got moved i would be happy with that.

Lammiko with Motte and Chaisson if he is still here although i don't think Chaisson skates very well. Highmore may be a better option.

If Hamonic cant play we need to either move him or waive him. When healthy he is an asset.

This may be a lost season for many reasons but they have definitely played much better after BB got here. Pointing out they are last in the league in some categories while true isn't a real check of where they are at since Boudreau took over. Given the circumstances with Covid protocol, the layoff after Boudreau arrived they are about where they should be on the outside looking in. Healthy they may challenge for a playoff spot but they are not healthy enough to compete with the best teams in the league.

Oh and one more thing the league needs to address the tax issues where salary cap is involved. You cant have teams in states with no income tax competing with teams that have one. Its an unfair advantage to the Florida teams but Bettman wont do that because he wants them to have success and keep milking the Canadian teams for their money. ok Rant over. Losing to the Oilers brings out my Pissy Pants. on to the next game and lets get everyone back healthy. Go Canucks Go

Edited by mikeyman109

I'm sorry if I sound like Benning... we have some really good pieces here, but they currently are not playing together as a team. We need something/someone to gel them together. 

I know that we're missing 3 out of our top 4 point getters and our top 2 goalies ( even though Martin has surpassed Halak at this point ) but I see way too many passes into feet instead of tape to tape and way too many missed assignments from everyone. 

We have a bad tendency to either shoot wide or right into the crest. 

I think that the new GM waits till after this road trip before doing his/her version of a retool. 

I wonder if Rutherford has been able to convince Aquaman that this year is done and we are looking to the next 3 years to do some damage in the playoffs. 

I predict 3 trades between now and the deadline. 

7 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

Cmon bro, he was our best Dman and fans wanted him gone due to him being injury prone but the last season we had him, he was healthy all season playing with Hughes. Another dumb decision by Benning to not sign him. Now we have Mr. part time Hamonic who plays 5 games per season.

I am fine with moving on from Tanev but it just seems like there was no plan.

If you move on trade guys at the deadline or sign replacement players.

Take the expansion draft for example.

Jim Benning protected 3 dman and two of them didn't make it to the roster. How is that possible?

Why the Canucks didn't trade for an unprotected dman and expose OJ is beyond me.

• Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, grumpyone said:

I'm sorry if I sound like Benning... we have some really good pieces here, but they currently are not playing together as a team. We need something/someone to gel them together. 

I know that we're missing 3 out of our top 4 point getters and our top 2 goalies ( even though Martin has surpassed Halak at this point ) but I see way too many passes into feet instead of tape to tape and way too many missed assignments from everyone. 

We have a bad tendency to either shoot wide or right into the crest. 

I think that the new GM waits till after this road trip before doing his/her version of a retool. 

I wonder if Rutherford has been able to convince Aquaman that this year is done and we are looking to the next 3 years to do some damage in the playoffs. 

I predict 3 trades between now and the deadline. 

Yip. I really believe the team needs to take a step back, to move forward. All healthy, no Covid, it's not a contending for a cup. It's a playoff team that has little depth and no not enough size. 

Edited by rekker

7 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Yeah, at the time I definitely had concerns about his durability. It was also a longer contract than I'd have liked. I honestly figured he'd continued to miss time in Calgary and that it'd be more of the same.

This isn't to say I don't respect him as a player, or that I didn't enjoy having him here. We were better with him in the line up, same deal we had with Salo. But even Salo managed six seasons of 60+ games as a Canuck, with three of those seasons being 70 or more. 

As for the not getting assets for them, I get that. But on the flip side, do you flip those assets while you're in the playoff race? That's where we're at now. Except we're further out than we were then if I'm not mistaken. This is the argument I've seen folks use regarding Miller, doesn't hold a lot of weight with me. Benning was hellbent on getting us to playoffs, but none of them teams he assembled resembled a contender. Even now, with the roster we currently have, his best team, we were probably just a team in the mix at the beginning of the season. To make the playoffs, not contend. 

I'd move Miller, I'm not going to wade it right now because it's late but I've been on the trade Miller train for months now. Wouldn't hesitate at all. I'm fully on board with trading Miller despite the feathers it ruffles. I do not believe in this roster as currently structured, it's got holes and several question marks. I'd build around the young core, move Miller and you've still got plenty of good pieces to build around. I don't see any reason why we couldn't be competitive next season without him, it's not as if a Miller trade would be our only move between now and the beginning of next season. I'm tired of teams that scratch and claw to try and just barely make it in, I'm willing to be patient for a while if management is willing to take a more patient approach to team building, it's not as if we've had a ton of success these last eight years anyway. 

Well you can’t keep the team and how it’s constructed together. It’s not good enough. Your kidding yourself if you think it is. It’s got holes. Only way to fix the team is to take a step back and trade Motte and Miller. What are you

keeping them For? To stay at the bottom  of the league. If players are angry, too bad, they made their own bed with their bad play. They have proven they aren’t a good team. Changes are made when you aren’t good enough. That’s life.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • Cheers 1

9 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Well I don't think that he could fetch us a 1st round pick because of his qualifying offer, which kind of negates the fact that he's 24.  

I really think that Boeser is trending towards being a half season rental because no team will qualify him at 7.5 mil even if it's for one season.  

Although a completely fair point, if you can catch a GM numbers watching he has a lot of value at that number still. Similar to Tarasenko how some teams put a lot of value on him still even though he was inconsistent in latter years. 

3 hours ago, spook007 said:

Marky let in a soft one just about every game... Martin is least of this team worries... 

47 saves... and a lot of close calls... Martin was fine.

I disagree. Markstrom actually led the league in that one season for fewest goals against on low chance shots, beating out Hellebuyck.