The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Oilers sign Evander Kane

9 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

What bs. 

the simple fact that there "leaks of that narrative" means he, obviously, did not get along with everyone.

Also dissing a room, where he says he got along with everyone is not a "good leadership" moment.

The guy is a good hockey player but seems to rate a little low on the i.q and e.q. scale.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nhl/evander-kane-on-past-disruptions-future-with-oilers-i-view-myself-as-a-leader/ar-AATfXPd?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531

The NHL’s most controversial player has found a new home, as Evander Kane and the Edmonton Oilers officially agreed to a one-year deal.

On Friday, the Oilers held a press conference that featured Kane, as well as head coach Dave Tippett and general manager Ken Holland. Whether or not his answers were the proper ones depends on who you ask, as there are varying opinions from many hockey fans on social media.

Addressing Oilers fans who may not be too pleased about his signing, Kane asked for a chance to "do what I do best."

AATg5PN.img?h=810&w=1438&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=

"I would encourage then to be open-minded, to allow me to do what I do best and get to know me on the ice, off the ice, around the rink, in the community and see what I bring to the table," said Kane. "Every city I've been in, I've always worked in the community and done what I can to help make that city and that community a better place. And that's gonna be no different here in Edmonton."

The last city Kane was in — more specifically its team — became one of the main talking points of his conference. 

When asked about reports over the summer that his San Jose Sharks teammates didn’t want him back for the 2021-22 season, Kane's response was rather disappointing.

He first denied the fact that he had bad relationships with everyone in that dressing room, and then seemed to blame the Sharks leadership group for that story getting leaked to the media.

"I view myself as a leader," Kane added. "It's funny, people think I'm going to come in and I'm just some kid on a playground that's going to disrupt everything, and that's just not the case."

As the saying goes, where there’s smoke there’s fire, and it applies perfectly here, as Kane, throughout many of his issues in his career, has failed to take much, if any, accountability. Though some stories may very well be exaggerated or not reported correctly, it seems very unlikely that plenty of the issues surrounding him aren’t due to his own actions.

Kane, 30, is extremely talented, though his ability to do more good than bad to a team has been highly debated given his off-ice issues. Most recently, Kane had his contract terminated by the Sharks due to an alleged breach of COVID protocol. The league concluded its investigation on the matter stating that there wasn't sufficient evidence that the Vancouver native had broken any rules, which opened up his path to joining Edmonton.

The forward had previously been suspended 21 games and demoted to the AHL for submitting a fake vaccination card.

Regardless of anyone’s thoughts on whether or not he should have been given another chance in the NHL, it is impossible to ignore the fact that he will bring plenty to this Oilers lineup. He checks a ton of boxes for them, as he is a scoring winger who provides toughness and physicality, things that Edmonton is greatly missing.

With this deal being just a one-year commitment, it is possible it works out well for Edmonton and gets it back into a playoff position. However, there is a ton of risk that comes with it as well.

What's clear is that this Oilers brass believes that in the short-term, Kane will be beneficial for them.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are 2 tweets I could not copy- 1 was a retweet of Daniel Bowman- posted above

and one from Mark Spector

"I understand the narrative. It’s easy to look at me… It goes both ways.” Kane has thus far taken zero responsibility for past transgressions. Plays the victim today."

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

12 hours ago, gurn said:

There are 2 tweets I could not copy- 1 was a retweet of Daniel Bowman- posted abov

and one from Mark Spector

"I understand the narrative. It’s easy to look at me… It goes both ways.” Kane has thus far taken zero responsibility for past transgressions. Plays the victim today."

People who do not take responsibility for their own F’ups and do not own up to it, should really explain  everything you need to know about their character.   These are the people you stay away from.   

Edited by sassbs
  • Vintage 2

I would not want to be plying Edmonton in the next few games.  Kane is likely going to be having a chip on his shoulder and be just a wrecking ball out there to prove his worth.

The other guys on the roster are going to be giving their all with some fresh blood and wanting the move to look good too.

The fact they have relatively easy pickings in Montreal and Ottawa makes it doubly dangerous as odds are they win those games handily.  The narrative looks pretty good if Kane has 4-5 points in two games which isn’t at all unlikely riding shotgun with McDavid against that competition.

• Vintage 1

23 hours ago, deepbluefunk said:

Seriously?

How can the league find that the action isn't even worthy of a suspension - but the team is allowed to terminate????

And why isn't the NHL the one that is going after the Sharks for violating the CBA? Instead they let the NHLPA go after them?  SO ASS BACKWARDS.

It's like saying that if only the VPD had been quicker on laying charges against Virtanen then we wouldn't be on the hook for his buyout.

I think the league is also responsible for letting the termination happen.

The NHL , in theory should have let their own investigation clear that matter up before the termination.

The Sharks may have Kane after them for his contract,.  But certainly the Sharks should go after the NHL for letting the termination happen.

I thought all moves had to be okayed by the league before a transaction, termination, trade, buy out , or whatever happens. ?

Kane is a beast who is going to be a distraction for every opponent..

They have now, and will get high scoring from all lines now .

Bringing in this ppg physical driven Kane will strengthen the entire team.

He will make a positive difference there.

• Vintage 1

.. and still people here will buy into this recent hype to say he is a disruption,.  When actually it’s all of his accusers and false accusations that have been.

Its those false narratives that need to be held accountable,.  Including Sharks Management.

On 1/28/2022 at 8:53 PM, Goal:thecup said:

If the NHL lets the Sharts off that cap hit, there are going to be a lot of openings for private dicks.

Not up to the NHL anymore.  It’s going to arbitration unless there’s a settlement with the NHLPA.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Lets see them play an NHL team then we’ll talk.

The Habs are a complete joke right now.

They've won 3 straight going into this game beating us in OT, the Flames after being down 2-0 after the 1st and the Predators in a Shootout.

They've looked a bit better with people coming back, particularly RNH who was out for almost 4 weeks.

19 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Lets see them play an NHL team then we’ll talk.

The Habs are a complete joke right now.

Regardless. It’s still impressive. Kane is a fantastic player (on the ice). He is motivated to show everyone up. I think the Coilers are now guaranteed to make the playoffs but they won’t go far because of goaltending.

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

They've won 3 straight going into this game beating us in OT, the Flames after being down 2-0 after the 1st and the Predators in a Shootout.

They've looked a bit better with people coming back, particularly RNH who was out for almost 4 weeks.

They have no problem out scoring their problems in games.

That D and that goaltending will catch up to them though. One injury to Nurse and they’re done.

1 minute ago, grandmaster said:

Regardless. It’s still impressive. Kane is a fantastic player (on the ice). He is motivated to show everyone up. I think the Coilers are now guaranteed to make the playoffs but they won’t go far because of goaltending.

I don’t agree.

Scoring wasn’t their issue. The issues that saw them lose 11 out of 15 games are still there.

They’re playing with more confidence now but I think they’re one blowout loss from falling off the rails again.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

I don’t agree.

Scoring wasn’t their issue. The issues that saw them lose 11 out of 15 games are still there.

They’re playing with more confidence now but I think they’re one blowout loss from falling off the rails again.

Kane brings a physical presence as well as scoring. He hits hard and fights. This was a good move on a small cap hit. Agree that offence wasn’t their issue but this signing helps

5 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Kane brings a physical presence as well as scoring. He hits hard and fights. This was a good move on a small cap hit. Agree that offence wasn’t their issue but this signing helps

This signing makes them better offensively sure.

Again the D is their weakness. Good teams will still pick them apart.

If they’re not scoring on the powerplay they for sure lose the 5 on 5 game.

• Cheers 1