The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Winnipeg Jets | Jan. 27, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

I hope all those screaming for JT Miller to be traded were paying attention.

Why would the Canucks trade the guy who is the consistent driver of the offense???

Miller is not a Superstar but he is a Star player and every team in the league would want him on their roster.

Maybe there are other guys the Canucks could trade if a real #1 D was made available, but not Miller.

Obviously Miller was the key to this game... with contributions from Boeser, Martin and Pettersson.

Boeser has been bashed for not putting up goals, but he is an underrated playmaker and his ability in this area was made clear this game... not to mention once again his hands in close showed why he is a special player.

And Pettersson is building momemtum... every game getting more confidence... his line was dominant all game and set the tone... and his defensive play was excellent.

Martin is cementing his place as a permanent backup to Demko... Halak is now unnecessary... Martin can deliver the same result at a cheaper price.  Canucks may want to think about dealing Halak at the deadline for defensive help... but NOT to the Oilers please.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

I'm in. I can't do pushups due to concussion.

I will play along and do my concussion exercises next game..

You back to slowly recovering now?  

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I agree.  JR better be sure that the prospect we acquire for Miller is 99% going to be a front line forward or a top pairing Dman.  If not we will lose the trade big time.  It's true when they say the team that trades for the best player always wins the trade.  

Schneider, Chytil and a 1st round pick may look good on paper, but you need to break down the trade as follows:

Miller is a top 10 forward in the league who will get you 80-90 points over the course of the next several years.  This is what the Rangers are going to get.

Schneider may turn out to be a better version of Tucker Poolman.  Maybe a 2nd pairing Dman.  Chytil may be a 3rd line depth player, similar to Tanner Pearson.  The first round pick which will be in the high 20's may become nothing more than a bottom pairing Dman or a 3rd line winger.

So the question then becomes what happens if you trade JT Miller and receive a #4 Dman, a 3rd line winger or 3rd pairing Dman and Tanner Pearson 2.0?  Would anyone be happy with that trade?  How much of a regression would we take with a trade like that?

It's not an easy decision to make and JR is not going to rush to trade JT Miller unless it is a major overpayment.  It has to be a slam dunk deal that you cannot refuse IMO...

So a playoff contender will want him but we want a top 3 D in return.....won't happen since the contender will need the top 3 D.  Trading Miller for prospects and picks is more likely and that's a gamble for us if they don't work out.  I think there are two key variables here:

1. Can they shore up the D or prospects / draft picks with another asset instead (thinking Boeser)?  

2. Can they get Miller to sign a long-term contract that's reasonable? 

I'm thinking they'll need to do #1 before #2 to avoid being cornered into a worse deal.  If they can't do either, they'll have no choice but to sell.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Teams know Canucks are trying to get rid of him. I wonder if means Canucks have to give up something for a team to take his contract

Not a big enough contract for the Canucks to worry about that and Halak's not a bad back-up.  So I see the Canucks showcasing another goalie for a trade before them giving up assets for Halak.

Edmonton must be jealous of how we have 5 goalies that are probably better than any of their's at this point.  But at least they have Kane :)

Pay miller the money! Most consistent and highest scoring forward. No sign of regression. Style of play that can be maintained for several more years. You aren’t finding a replacement for his production. Find the money by getting rid of depth pieces that are redundant. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, Rindiculous said:

If the Canucks can get RNH out of Edmonton, I'd take it.  Guys on a stellar contract.  Maybe throw in a Matthew Highmore cause they need those depth guys eh?

As much as I’d like to see that we need more help on D

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Demko, Petey, Hughes.  That’s the big three.  

Guys in the 25+ age is the age of of most teams that win the cup, I believe the actual age is 29.5 with 30 and 31 the next highest.

Having our young core just entering their prime at the same time as the vets are still mostly in their peak to mid peak.

You never win the cup when guys in their low to mid 20s are the most common age on a team.

There's a reason teams that are contenders are more than just sniffing around.

How stupid would that be to lose him only to lack exactly him 2 years from now in the midst of a playoff caliber season.

16 minutes ago, Rindiculous said:

If the Canucks can get RNH out of Edmonton, I'd take it.  Guys on a stellar contract.  Maybe throw in a Matthew Highmore cause they need those depth guys eh?

As others have said, the Canucks need help on the D... not in the forward positions.'

I doubt Edmonton would trade one of their better D for Halak.

We should look elsewhere to a team who has lots of young D prospects.

34 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I agree.  JR better be sure that the prospect we acquire for Miller is 99% going to be a front line forward or a top pairing Dman.  If not we will lose the trade big time.  It's true when they say the team that trades for the best player always wins the trade.  

Schneider, Chytil and a 1st round pick may look good on paper, but you need to break down the trade as follows:

Miller is a top 10 forward in the league who will get you 80-90 points over the course of the next several years.  This is what the Rangers are going to get.

Schneider may turn out to be a better version of Tucker Poolman.  Maybe a 2nd pairing Dman.  Chytil may be a 3rd line depth player, similar to Tanner Pearson.  The first round pick which will be in the high 20's may become nothing more than a bottom pairing Dman or a 3rd line winger.

So the question then becomes what happens if you trade JT Miller and receive a #4 Dman, a 3rd line winger or 3rd pairing Dman and Tanner Pearson 2.0?  Would anyone be happy with that trade?  How much of a regression would we take with a trade like that?

It's not an easy decision to make and JR is not going to rush to trade JT Miller unless it is a major overpayment.  It has to be a slam dunk deal that you cannot refuse IMO...

Sounds like mediocrity all over again…

Man, Winnipeg has really fallen off a cliff.

Most of that is a result of Connor Hellebuyck completely losing his confidence... but I think maybe it is also the fact Blake Wheeler is a year older and has really lost a step... not the same player he was a couple years ago.

Didn't help tonight that Josh Morrissey was missing... he is their best D.

Not sure they did the right thing in firing Paul Maurice.

• Vintage 1

45 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

Canucks definitely going to try to trade Halak at the deadline. I could see them telling halak to waive or he'll be waived

In all honesty,  I think Martin has been better anyway.  Demko probably plays 34+ games if we stay in the race,  I’d be ok with Martin in for the other handful.