The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

With all due respect, I think the consensus on this board that Miller is getting traded before the TDL and the Canucks aren't making the playoffs is highly premature

Rate this topic

CanucksFan8353

There are 2 months until TDL and we have fairly favourable schedule and lots of games against the Pacific. 
A long road before decisions need to be made and picture may be a lot clearer. 
Looks like a long term plan though, not betting everything on scraping into the playoffs. 

7 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I wouldn't say it's really a consensus.

That said, I do think it's a possibility, but I get the feeling that JR and Allvin are not eager to trade Miller and would have to get a mammoth return to give him up.

And if it happens, it should be. You don't trade him for scraps, and we won't. Teams will have to pay up if they want our players.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

And if it happens, it should be. You don't trade him for scraps, and we won't. Teams will have to pay up if they want our players.

Especially ones we really want to keep. I heard a rumour from a NY media reporter that JR's asking price was "astronomical", which pleased me.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, CanucksFan8353 said:

EDIT:  The Oilers fans were all on in the tanks and picks for years, and all it got them was a bubble playoff team and 1 round 2 game 7.  That strategy of tanking and trading hasn't worked out terribly well for them has it?

Yeah, our strategy has been great too!

#MakeSomeTrades

38 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I wouldn't say it's really a consensus.

That said, I do think it's a possibility, but I get the feeling that JR and Allvin are not eager to trade Miller and would have to get a mammoth return to give him up.

Yah I have to agree.  In so many interviews, Rutherford has been pressured by the media saying 'When are you going to trade JT Miller?' which is so stupid that they're concocting this question that he has to answer.  The only response we've gotten is that they want an astronomical offer if they're ever gonna trade him which makes me think with this media narrative that trading Miller before the TDL is less than a 1% chance unless we gets the like of a Panarinesque player back because there is absolutely 0 pressure for them to lower their price for Miller with another year left in his deal.  Boudreau loves Miller, Rutherford loves Miller, they're gonna be hard pressed to let him go so soon after joining this organization.

Edited by Rindiculous

The timing of it all is near perfect.

Miller has another year left on a very good contract.

He's in his prime

Leadership

He's a playoff type of performer: aggressive, physical, desire to win

He can play C or the wing, good on faceoffs

He's good on the PK and PP

Team leader in goals and points

What if they decide to hold off and wait until next year's TDL, and then Miller suffers an injury, or slows down, or loses his scoring touch, etc. A lot of "what ifs", but if this happens, his value drops and they might not get near as much next year. It's a gamble. 

Does Miller even want to play in VAN long term?  Previous management may have left a bad taste in his mouth and he might want to play elsewhere. From what I've heard, he never bought a home here, so does he really plan to stay?

I don't know if JR has the patience to wait and see with Miller. He knows there is a lot of work to be done, to rebuild the prospect pool, the bottom 6 and the D. Trading Miller gives them a kick start into that. They could end up with another 1st (making two 1st round picks in a strong Draft). He could also pick up a good prospect, and a player to help the team now. With Boudreau, I think the Canucks can win, even without one or two of their better players in the lineup.  

• Cheers 3