The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks getting calls on Conor Garland

I wonder if we can trade Garland to the Pens in return for Rutta ($2.75m x 2 left). This saves us a little bit of cap space but importantly gives a decent veteran RD that could fill in as a partner for Hughes 5v5 for the next season or two.

If we could then trade Beauvillier+ in return for a young RD. Something like Beauviller (50% retained) + Rathbone to WSH in return for Iorio (RD, BC boy, 6'4", 200 lb). WSH already have 3 RD signed for the next 3 years (Carlson, Jensen, TVR) but need some more forwards and LD. They are pretty tight to the cap. Beau gives them a cheap RW that can score for ~$2m and Rathbone is a young LD that they can add as their 7/8 D.

These kind of moves give us enough space to sign a 3C and another RD (perhaps Schenn) without attaching sweeteners. BUt they also start addressing our need for young RD talent.

Just now, Off_The_Schneid! said:

To NYR: Conor Garland, 2024 1st rd protected 

To Van: Lafreniere 

Zero chance of this. Maybe our 2024 second, but Laugher isn’t worth a first. 
Plus, Laugher is a bottom six winger. We need a 3C. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

I could actually see Allvin doing something like this.

Would create quite the buzz if nothing else.  

I am not convinced lafreniere is worth a first and garland

watching a number of nyr games he is just meh and doesn’t drive his line

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Canucks Curse said:

TRAAAAAADEEEE HIIIMMMMMMMMMM

To PHI

Hogz

Garland

Rathbone

TO VAN

Laughton

NYR 2023 3RD

Philadelphia's preference is to keep him per LeBrun but they are wiling to listen.  They are rebuilding as stated by Briere - they'll want draft picks in return.  

Seravalli has also been reporting that teams are asking for a rather expensive sweetener from Vancouver to take on Garland.  

8 minutes ago, mordekai said:

I am not convinced lafreniere is worth a first and garland

watching a number of nyr games he is just meh and doesn’t drive his line

Yeah, a 1st feels way too rich to me as well and if it’s in play for us we should be looking at a young D or C not a winger.  

Too bad we don’t have a 2nd in this draft or next - that feels like a better price.  Lafreniere is intriguing because he might hit that 1OA upside with a proper coach and opportunity.  But there’s other intriguing players.

7 minutes ago, mll said:

Philadelphia's preference is to keep him per LeBrun but they are wiling to listen.  They are rebuilding as stated by Briere - they'll want draft picks in return.  

Seravalli has also been reporting that teams are asking for a rather expensive sweetener from Vancouver to take on Garland.  

Thanks Benning. Garland and OEL. Both anchors. :picard:

39 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

I could actually see Allvin doing something like this.

Would create quite the buzz if nothing else.  

Actually there is less than zero chance Allvin has any interest in Lafrenière. The Raggedy Andys can keep their terrible top ten picks, unless we are only giving up an AHL player. Lafrenière, Kakko, Krapsoft, Anderson. Might be the worst collection of top 10 picks over a short number of drafts ever. And then the same guys who made those picks go to Montreal and draft another bustaroo in Slafkovsky. Five horrid top ten picks over a very short time frame. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, mll said:

I read that as well and I wish there was more information.  What kind of sweetener? Does that mean a deal is on the table if we want it?

And is it just an ask from tanking teams who have no interest in the player and just see a 5x3 contract? 

Strange Allvin isn’t looking to deal Beauvillier’s contract which is a much easier to swallow 4x1 at this point if they’re all just anchors and we’re paying to clear cap.  

There’s obviously more to this and it’s killing me to see how it plays out.

Just now, ilduce39 said:

I read that as well and I wish there was more information.  What kind of sweetener? Does that mean a deal is on the table if we want it?

And is it just an ask from tanking teams who have no interest in the player and just see a 5x3 contract? 

Strange Allvin isn’t looking to deal Beauvillier’s contract which is a much easier to swallow 4x1 at this point if they’re all just anchors and we’re paying to clear cap.  

There’s obviously more to this and it’s killing me to see how it plays out.

New Beau is actually a guy who helps us. He’s better than old Bo. Garland is a Benning stain. 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Zero chance of this. Maybe our 2024 second, but Laugher isn’t worth a first. 
Plus, Laugher is a bottom six winger. We need a 3C. 

It'll have to be our '25 2nd, unless we're getting our '24 back from Chitcago.

Edited by Chickenspear

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

New Beau is actually a guy who helps us. He’s better than old Bo. Garland is a Benning stain. 

Going to have to disagree there.  

Garland > Beau as he can actually drive a line and was one of the few players consistently giving a good effort in his own zone last year as well. He’s worth the extra bit of cap.

Beau seems like the odd man out once Mikhayev is back healthy from what I can see.  Maybe Allvin thinks he can’t trade him either - Lou was trying for a long time as well.

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Actually there is less than zero chance Allvin has any interest in Lafrenière. The Raggedy Andys can keep their terrible top ten picks, unless we are only giving up an AHL player. Lafrenière, Kakko, Krapsoft, Anderson. Might be the worst collection of top 10 picks over a short number of drafts ever. And then the same guys who made those picks go to Montreal and draft another bustaroo in Slafkovsky. Five horrid top ten picks over a very short time frame. 

And ya know why?....not a good Western Canadian boy among 'em!Fist Pounding GIFs | Tenor

• There it is 1

This is the worst post I have ever seen. Out of the Eriksson contract dump, which canucks lost via the OEL contract, Garland is the best return they got, who is actually worth the contract attached.

To see people calling for getting rid of Garland or Boeser contracts, makes me think they dont watch the actual games.

• There it is 1

4 minutes ago, EastCoastNucks said:

This is the worst post I have ever seen. Out of the Eriksson contract dump, which canucks lost via the OEL contract, Garland is the best return they got, who is actually worth the contract attached.

To see people calling for getting rid of Garland or Boeser contracts, makes me think they dont watch the actual games.

Ya it’s almost as bad as the one about OEL and Hughes for a draft pick.