Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

53 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

31 minutes played for Hughes 

25 for OEL

21 for Schenn

21 for Juulsen

14 for Hunt

I’m of the mind that I’m actually ok with this game…we had to play all game with 3/5 defence men that are border line 3rd pairing dman if not full time AHL dmen.

Offensively we had no answer to break thru calgarys defense, but I feel we went into survival mode after Myers left the game. The Dmen that were left could barely get the puck up to the forwards. So our forwards were coming back and supporting our D all night. 

We survived and got a point.

This entire thread went into full blow the team up mode…sure some trades can happen to improve this team. But my god what a bi-polar &^@# show this site is some times…

Thats exactly it. 

Its a team game but for whatever reason, goals against we blame defenders and lack of goals scored we blame forwards. 

To your point, after Myers ejection and considering we played without Poolman and Burroughs and were already missing Hamonic, we essentially played with only 2 guys that would normally crack our top 6 when roster is healthy.

So essentially we played this game without 2 of our top 4 D and 2 bottom 2 although one could argue Schenn beat out Burroughs and maybe deserving of 6D.

Anyway, offense starts from a break out. We only had 2 guys yesterday that can do that from D. D also can read tje play, pinch and keep pucks in but we didnt have the horses to do that last night. 

Losing Myers that early hurt and you can see Quinn was tired last night. 

Still don't like the lack of effort but it's not all dire. I think the score flattered us. It should have been worse but Demko was Demko and got us a point. 

We now have a stretch of games where we should be able to "win or even sweep the week" 

Lets get it boys! 

Edited by CanucksJay
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

"Because, instead, we decided to just ignore all the penalties against the Canucks for the duration of the game.  Suck it JT"

(it's the right decision...Lewis put himself in a vulnerable position...isn't that what we say when our guys get hit high?)

Our team has to be given the same leash that other teams have and permitted to play a physical game without having the book thrown at us. This is a good step in that direction.

• Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Well yeah, it shouldn't have even been a five and a game. 

Losing him potentially cost us the game last night. 

Refs should have blown the play dead when Lewis hit Myers in the face and we should have been on the PP. Totally changed the game last night. We had to play 5D with Schenn Hunt and Juulsen... Rubbish

Remember that time Hansen got suspended for reaching fit the puck and contacting Hossa's head?

What Lewis did was worse. It didn't warrant a suspension but it did warrant a penalty. Hansen's suspension in retrospect was such bs 

Edited by CanucksJay
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, CanucksJay said:

Well yeah, it shouldn't have even been a five and a game. 

Losing him potentially cost us the game last night. 

Refs should have blown the play dead when Lewis hit Myers in the face and we should have been on the PP. Totally changed the game last night. We had to play 5D with Schenn Hunt and Juulsen... Rubbish

But they lost because they couldn't make a simple pass, or get shots on goal. Demko did everything he could. The team in front didn't give him the goal support he needed.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Myers seemed to hit back/shoulder area first. The head was not the primary contact. I would have called it boarding if anything.

While I think 5 minutes and match penalty was acceptable for boarding as it resulted in the player hitting his head on the glass, I think no supplemental suspension is the right call. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Got something right at least in all this.

Myers never raised his elbow at all when he went in for the hit. He kept it tucked down. He went full body to body on him on the boards. Head hit was accidental due to Myers being so tall. Definitely not a good situation. But I thought the hit was clean.

3 minutes ago, khay said:

Myers seemed to hit back/shoulder area first. The head was not the primary contact. I would have called it boarding if anything.

While I think 5 minutes and match penalty was acceptable for boarding as it resulted in the player hitting his head on the glass, I think no supplemental suspension is the right call. 

Damage done to a very important game tho…that’s the sad part. The refs even reviewed it before calling it a 5 min…oh well, Got a point!

In terms of winning the week, We went 1-1-2, so we didn't win the week.

Week 1: 3-0-0

Week 2: 3-0-0

Week 3: 2-0-1

Week 4: 0-3-0

Week 5: 2-0-1

Week 6: 1-1-2

11-4-4. This is still OK.

Onto week 7. Hopefully we go 2-0-0.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I don't think the league can simply sweep some of what happens out there under the rug anymore and continue to justify some of the decisions as they have in the past. Seeing that Lewis had committed the first infraction and that Myers reacted with a hockey hit (regardless of whether he was taller and it landed high). I mean, some guys would have gone straight AT Lewis and pummelled his face until he hit the ice. A good solid hit stays more within the hockey "rules" than some other reactions would have. It's time the league allow ALL players some leeway when they're responding to something the refs have not. They have to start addressing the on ice blunders and calling out the zebras for not doing their job properly within game play or at least reflecting it in their disciplinary rulings. Which was the case here.

I agree with Jay...it changes the face of the game and makes it unbalanced when one team can Lucic and Tkachuk and the other can't lay a good, solid hit.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Got something right at least in all this.

Myers never raised his elbow at all when he went in for the hit. He kept it tucked down. He went full body to body on him on the boards. Head hit was accidental due to Myers being so tall. Definitely not a good situation. But I thought the hit was clean.

Yep, he didn't launch or leave his feet...was a good solid hit and the size differential and Lewis' body positioning came into play.

1 minute ago, khay said:

In terms of winning the week, We went 1-1-2, so we didn't win the week.

Week 1: 3-0-0

Week 2: 3-0-0

Week 3: 2-0-1

Week 4: 0-3-0

Week 5: 2-0-1

Week 6: 1-1-2

11-4-4. This is still OK.

Onto week 7. Hopefully we go 2-0-0.

I mean we won 4 out of 6 weeks so far. I’d say that’s pretty damn good.

We also went 1-0-2 this week which although technically isn’t winning the week it’s 4 out of a possible 6 points.

Keep getting points at this rate and we’re in good shape.

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

But they lost because they couldn't make a simple pass, or get shots on goal. Demko did everything he could. The team in front didn't give him the goal support he needed.

They lost because they had 3 guys logging more minutes than they should after that BS game misconduct. 

Cgy is a good team. They play and pressure the puck hard. Ofcourse we had difficulty making passes playing with 5D with Juulsen and Hunt in the game instead of our regulars. 

7 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Yep, he didn't launch or leave his feet...was a good solid hit and the size differential and Lewis' body positioning came into play.

Exactly, things like this happen. Best to move on to the next game….hopefully bit healthier…that might help us out too.

15 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

I don't think the league can simply sweep some of what happens out there under the rug anymore and continue to justify some of the decisions as they have in the past. Seeing that Lewis had committed the first infraction and that Myers reacted with a hockey hit (regardless of whether he was taller and it landed high). I mean, some guys would have gone straight AT Lewis and pummelled his face until he hit the ice. A good solid hit stays more within the hockey "rules" than some other reactions would have. It's time the league allow ALL players some leeway when they're responding to something the refs have not. They have to start addressing the on ice blunders and calling out the zebras for not doing their job properly within game play or at least reflecting it in their disciplinary rulings. Which was the case here.

I agree with Jay...it changes the face of the game and makes it unbalanced when one team can Lucic and Tkachuk and the other can't.

Will be interesting to see if JR makes the odd call here and there to NHL offices. He's been running a darling team for so long he will be shocked to see the crap that is called and levied against the Canucks. Myers hit wasn't even a penalty ffs! 

Edited by rekker
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, JM_ said:

OK I will if you will. We played a tight game too. 

Its been the story for a while, we need some bigger bodies that can exert their will on other teams. Even just one tbh. Otherwise we can't even get set up. 

We did for sure, our defensive game is as sound as its been in a long time but we gotta give Demko and company some goal support from the forward group and the back end.

29 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

The way the broadcast dealt with this and the refs . You would have thought that Lewis was on his way to the hospital. Yet he finished the games with no apparent injury.   

I expected this result.  It is good for JR and crew to see what they are dealing with. I have said it before , for the Canucks to win in this league they will need to ice a team that is so talented that even the refs won't be able to stop them from winning.