The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Calgary Flames | Jan. 29, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

34 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Lots of complaining, but there are some good things from last night - we limited Calgary high danger chances to 3. yes, 3. (https://www.naturalstattrick.com_

Sutter was ready for us and had his guys stifle us perfectly. Bruce didn't have an answer. 

If we have any chance at getting past Calgary we need to figure out how to solve this. IMO its the same problem we've had for a while, no or very inconsistent ability to plant someone in front of the net. 

If we're going to be making trades, we need to bring in a bigger body that can do this consistently. 

This is 100% correct  .  We can't wear down any d with the forward group we have.  Boeser and garland replaced with punishing big forwards will take us further. 

• Vintage 1

10 hours ago, DeNiro said:

This was the Miller we saw throw his head back when something didn’t go his way.

He’s mad that he didn’t get the call and stops playing. 

That play was all kinds of selfish. People really need to question whether they want him to be this teams leader over Bo. I don’t see stars on cup contending teams doing things like this.

Couldn't agree more. This guy is talented but the energy he gives off just breeds negativity IMO. Trade him while his stock is high.

9 hours ago, drdeath said:

As long as the player coming on to the ice doesn't actually touch a Flame or the puck until JT clears the rulebook states that "a bench minor penalty may be assessed" for an illegal substitution. The Flames were jumping line changes all night but because the players coming in were never touching the puck or a Canuck while they had too many skaters they kept getting away with it even though they were blatantly gaining an advantage from it.

If the player who comes on interferes with the play whatsoever and JT is still on the ice.. it's a penalty. Believe me, I was there and could see the whole thing. He was still 30 feet from the bench when the flames crossed the red line. It was gross. If someone came on the ice and even covered a man it would be too many men. They don't need to touch the puck.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, DeNiro said:

They seem to be reverting back to their old habits under Green.

This is why this team absolutely needs a strong analytics department. So many of our problems can be traced back to zone exits and zone entries.

Time to get rid of players that pass the “eye test” and start getting players that have stats to back it up.

For F sake it was one bad game, 2 days ago everyone was all a glow after we looked so good against Winnipeg. The positive guys come out after a win the "blow it all up" guys after a loss. We are a Jekyll and Hyde group of posters. I think the positive posters are generally more astute then the downers in their analysis. IMO.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

9 hours ago, DeNiro said:

They seem to be reverting back to their old habits under Green.

This is why this team absolutely needs a strong analytics department. So many of our problems can be traced back to zone exits and zone entries.

Time to get rid of players that pass the “eye test” and start getting players that have stats to back it up.

did you come to this conclusion using analytics or the eye test yourself?

4 minutes ago, Moe Knows said:

For F sake it was one bad game, 2 days ago everyone was all a glow after we looked so good against Winnipeg. The positive guys come out after a win the "blow it all up" guys after a loss. We are a Jekyll and Hyde group of posters. I think the positive posters are generally more astute then the downers in their analysis. IMO.

image.gif.f6f413447a12a4ebf39fdaa617e9ee18.gif

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

OEL has given the D some stability and leadership however 8 points in 41 games is still underwhelming for $7.25 per year. It would help this team alot to get some offense from the blue line since this team struggles to score. They are playing well defensively but need to figure out a way to get some production from back there as well.

Yeah no doubt. Especially for a player with a career 0.5 PPG prior, I don't think anyone expected this little production.

It's been such an odd year that in OELs case I think I'm willing to excuse the lack of production (and since he has been good otherwise).

Next year I'll be expecting more, maybe not 0.5 PPG, but 30 points shouldn't be too hopeful for someone of his skill level.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

I'm proud of the effort from last night actually. Sutter coached us perfectly, and it was one of the rare nights when the ref's really did game manage us. 

Not this teams glaring inability to score goals consistently? Give credit to the flames they played a tight game and Sutter is a great coach but let's be honest it's this teams inability to score that has cost them countless points this season. They aren't playing terribly I like our defensive game right now and the effort has never been higher but if this team can't start putting the puck in the net more consistently this will be a common outcome. This team is 28th in goals for and gets basically no goals from its blueline that has to change for us to even stand a chance of making the playoffs. The Flames are a far deeper and superior team as much as it pains me to say that.

Not sure why everyone is doom and gloom.......Calgary, despite their standing, is a solid playoff team and the Canucks shut them right down.  It wasn't a great game to watch, but it certainly wasn't a garbage game by either team

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Vermette9 said:

Was at the game, and believe Me it was twice as bad live . No one had jump at all .. brutal game. 

Sorry you are in Calgary.  Next to Toronto it’s the ugliest, smelliest, loser infested city in Canada.

Edited by Alflives

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Not sure why everyone is doom and gloom.......Calgary, despite their standing, is a solid playoff team and the Canucks shut them right down.  It wasn't a great game to watch, but it certainly wasn't a garbage game by either team

I beg to differ.. nucks were brutal all game.. couldn't skate . Could make the most basic passes. Petey didn't look interested  all game. He's terrible out there 

2 minutes ago, Vermette9 said:

I beg to differ.. nucks were brutal all game.. couldn't skate . Could make the most basic passes. Petey didn't look interested  all game. He's terrible out there 

And even with the Canucks playing bad the loser Lames couldn’t muster a goal.  That’s a loser team with loser players.  When they move to Quebec City next season, then they might improve.  

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Canucks fought hard the whole game, especially our young stars.  Look at the Habs for a team of losers with no young players and no prospects worth anything.  Their game was a joke.  Their team is crap.  That was Canada’s embarrassment yesterday.  

canadas embarrassment yesterday was the officials call on the myers hit. truly embarrassing to give a major and match penalty for this hit. Laugh my ass off. Officiating in the NHL is crap. Every &^@#ing official from a minor league in Europe would do a far better job.

3 minutes ago, Vermette9 said:

It was definitely a terrible game to watch, but when both teams play a tight defensive game, that's what you get.  I hear posters praise Sutter for shutting Van down, but what about the other side?  Calgary are the most prolific shooters in the league and outside of the first period the Canucks shut them down completely.  Are we so shortsighted we've forgotten what was happening, defensively, 3 months ago?

• Like 2

Just now, Wolfgang Durst said:

canadas embarrassment yesterday was the officials call on the myers hit. truly embarrassing to give a major and match penalty for this hit. Laugh my ass off. Officiating in the NHL is crap. Every &^@#ing official from a minor league in Europe would do a far better job.

Nope.  Habs are our embarrassment.  No fight in their team.  Crap young players, and no prospects.