The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Toronto Maple Leafs at Vancouver Canucks | Feb. 12, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Really important win for the standings - although our hopes are still slim - but the shot count and o zone time tells us exactly where we're at as a team. I.e. a middle team that don't really match up to the top teams although we do have some good players. Also obvious that all 4 laffs lines could keep the puck and create offense in the o zone. I like Motte/Lammiko on the 4th line but we really need 3 lines that can play and Podz and Hogs in current form are not top 6 players.

1 hour ago, DefCon1 said:

Yeah but you really think this team can win a cup being in this state? 

Nobody is saying that.   On the flip side, if the team finishes off the season with a similar winning percentage as we've had the past couple of months with Bruce, we'd be close to or in a playoff spot by years end.    Over an 82 game season, all things being equal - no ascension and no roster changes, we'd be first in our division, and third in our conference.    That's a scary team.   107-8 points would put you in the discussion next season, and this season we'd be considered a dark horse as well.   Who knows really.   

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Not to defend Green, but think more importantly was Motte being injured to start the season... 

Yes missing Motte and Hamonic and Sutter really threw a wrench into our seasons start.   Our two best forward PKers (is was drooling at the thought of Motte Sutter Dickenson before the season started - Motte Lammy Highmore .... Motte is a really valuable player for us)...  Hamonic also was our third most used PKer last season, and it overworked Myers as a result ... Poolman sure didn't work out great for us either.    Massive roster  change's always takes some time to find a groove.   Glad ours is there now and hope Allvin is really doing his due diligence in that regard.   

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

First of course, Demko was the only reason the Canucks won this game... rest of the team, (excluding Motte) didn't deserve it.

Man I hate this freakin' collapse to the net that the Canucks do.... this is the same bad habit they developed during Green's tenure.

They have to be more aggressive in contesting the blueline and their man on man coverage... especially 5 on 5.

Right now the only guy who is aggressive defensively 5 on 5 is Motte.  In fact as far as I'm concerned, Motte should have gotten 2nd star in this game.  He saved a couple goals with his backchecks and his shot/assist on the Lammiko goal was the key.

BB, you gotta get these guys being more aggressive and stop with this collapse to the net and surrendering the blue line.

By the way, not sure I like having Miller on the wing with Horvat at center.... reason why>>> Because that means our faceoff win percentage goes in the toilet because our two best faceoff winners are on the same line.  Anyone notice the Leafs won 55% of the faceoffs, and a higher percentage when it was important???

Yeah, yeah, it is great to beat the Leafs... but this was not a win which I take pride in... it was only the fact we have a goaltender who is one of the best that allowed it to happen.  And it is impossible even for Demko to keep up that kind of performance... a goalie can't make 50 saves night after night.

This game was a win... but the Canucks can't keep playing like this.

The good part though is, the team won drspite being outplayed...

That's what winning teams does, so this was a step in the right direction.

But of course this isn't sustainable in the long run...

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Hindsight is 20/20.  If we had known he wouldn't miss another game in his career then it would have been a no brainer to re-sign him.  At least Benning picked the right goalie to keep...

some of us had foresight. 

6 hours ago, FaninMex said:

But we all complained about how many games he missed to injury. Now, on the Flames he has become invincible. 

not all of us. he didn't miss a game his last year in van, either, and has been healthy since he and the equipment staff changed out his gear to protect him better. 

2 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Hamonic looked rusty. Probably take a few games to see him in tip top form. One hit I really liked was Miller skating away from the snarly dman only to come back a few seconds later and plaster him into the boards. 

Good call bud. Thought exavtly the same at the time... it was brillintly caught by the cameras as well... Loved it. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, tas said:

not all of us. he didn't miss a game his last year in van, either, and has been healthy since he and the equipment staff changed out his gear to protect him better. 

Both Tanev and Markstrom were injured the last year with us ... remember how we went from a top team in our division, lost Brock Boeser, then lost Markstrom and finally, on cue - pretty sure Tanev got hurt right before covid put a stop on our 12ish game slide.   What did we win during that span WITH Tyler Toffoli?  Think maybe two or three games.    Tanev career high is 72ish games ... i have serious doubts he will ever beat that, unless he changes the style of play that makes him so good.   55-60ish was his norm with us.    Markstrom ... well two injuries his last season, thankfully the second one made it really easy to make a tough decision .... with the ED looming .. it's working out great for us so far.

Edit; just to be clear i wish we kept Tanev, would have been the right decision for sure. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Both Tanev and Markstrom were injured the last year with us ... remember how we went from a top team in our division, lost Brock Boeser, then lost Markstrom and finally, on cue - pretty sure Tanev got hurt right before covid put a stop on our 12ish game slide.   What did we win during that span WITH Tyler Toffoli?  Think maybe two or three games.    Tanev career high is 72ish games ... i have serious doubts he will ever beat that, unless he changes the style of play that makes him so good.   55-60ish was his norm with us.    Markstrom ... well two injuries his last season, thankfully the second one made it really easy to make a tough decision .... with the ED looming .. it's working out great for us so far.

Edit; just to be clear i wish we kept Tanev, would have been the right decision for sure. 

nobody is talking about markstrom.

tanev:

19-20: 69/69

20-21: 56/56

21-22: 45/45

has not missed a game since changing equipment. "oh but he got hurt before the covid shutdown." boo hoo. the guy isn't out there pulling groins. faulting warriors for taking bullets for your team is weak as hell. 

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Boeser looks slow out there.  Probably the slowest guy in the top 9.  I don't think he has alot of trade value right now.  Miller can be traded for a King's ransom.  If we are not in a playoff race you have to trade Miller to maximize your assets.  Boeser can be re-evaluated next year.  Maybe he can go to BO's skating coach and get some help.  He will also be playing for a contract next year unless he signs long term in the summer so he will be motivated to have a good year next year.

I guess the question is, do we believe in Boeser? 

I was a huge proponent of trading him a few years ago because he looks exactly like he does now. Slow, low defensive awareness etc. 

He then looked a lot better in the playoffs and also looked good last season. His skating was a lot better and he was all over the ice and it translated to better defense. 

I then realized he had never recovered fully from his back injury and I had jumped the gun in wanting him traded. 

So here we are this year.  What is the cause for this regression? 

Is he battling an injury? Is he overthinking much like Petey was earlier in the season? 

What is the cause for his play? He started to look really good before the covid shutdown this year. Why has his play dropped since? 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Apricot said:

We hung with and beat one of the best teams in the league, no reason we can't run the table for the playoffs, no way this team should trade anyone at the deadline with a possible playoff run

This fan gets it.  Lets fkn go

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Same here!  We had a good swath of Canucks fans in our section to drown out the Leaf fans but overall I think there were much more Leaf fans.  The mystifying part is that only STH's got to attend that game and don't tell me that many of our STH's are Leafs fans, so what it does tell me is that alot of STH's sold their tickets off. 

That speaks volumes and tells you what type of fan base we really have.  I would have expected hardly any Leaf fans tonight and the complete opposite happened.  Think about that for a minute!   

They needed to scalp their tickets to pay their rent/mortgage this month and fill their gas tank

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

yes, he looks like another casualty amongst all the other players that regressed under green - "the killer of hopes & dreams" !

Hopefully BB can get him back on his feet because he sure used to be a good player when he first got here like Petterson, Boeser, and many others that lost their abilities and were damaged under the previous green "Reign of Terror".

You can see BB is trying every trick he knows. Playing him down the lineup, playing him up the lineup, sitting him then putting him on a line with Petey and Podz who have developed some chemistry. Somethings just not clicking for him.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, IBatch said:

In defense of Tanev's injury history in Vancouver I might suggest the circumstances are much different in Calgary. Like last night where Demko won the game and how Marky used to do the same in Vancouver. The d-zone play against the Laffers was very sad. If Tanev had been in a Canuck uni he would have been blocking shots on every shift. In Calgary the pressure has been taken off Tanev as he often plays less than 20 minutes. He doesn't have to play as a top pairing guy every game. It has to be easier on his body. I am sure Sutter is being very calculating on Tanev's TOI as the Flamers head for playoffs. 

The Canucks beat the Laffers and the playoff drums get louder. As much as I hope they have a strong run towards playoffs I almost hope they fall short. My point being is the play of 2 periods of hockey clearly shows this roster needs help more than a need to make playoffs. As much as I can admire the teams determination to bring the win home the victory was Demko's. Meyers and OEL are 2nd pairing d-men. a 1RD is a desperate need. Also a top six LW. I realize it is sacrilege to harp on this but I think Miller will bring back 3 pieces that would broaden the talent and work towards a better playoff team in 2 years. That might not be what happens as Rutherford has other options. This is going to be an very interesting March.  

Edited by Boudrias
  • Cheers 2