The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

JR speaks again... speed and skill? Balanced scoring?

Rate this topic

HKSR

17 hours ago, hammertime said:

I didn't listen but this seems like major BS we aren't the penguins we aren't gonna win a cup without fixing the defense today its "ok" but its a mess looking long term.

He just said he could "work with it". Change is coming regardless. Hamonic, Schenn and Myers are all gone in one, one and two more seasons respectively.

We'll be building around Hughes and OEL. He's likely already penciling in guys like Woo and Juulsen to depth roles. There's some top 4 RD (and 3LD to a lesser extent) to address though...

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

So JR says it's a good idea in a cap league to maintain a decent amount of cap space because good deals and opportunities present themselves when you have space.

Kind of like what some of us have been saying for many, many years now while Benning spent and spent with little foresight.

But we were told "lol I'll trust an actual NHL GM over a troll on a forum".

Well now an adult is finally in charge, and look what he says.

Honestly mind-boggling how so many people vehemently fought against a simple common sense concept in the name of defending a terrible GM for no particular reason.

smh-the-office.gif

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

So JR says it's a good idea in a cap league to maintain a decent amount of cap space because good deals and opportunities present themselves when you have space.

Kind of like what some of us have been saying for many, many years now while Benning spent and spent with little foresight.

Honestly mind-boggling how so many people vehemently fought against a simple common sense concept in the name of defending a terrible GM for no particular reason.

smh-the-office.gif

Yes, Bennings hands were tied every single year and then he tried to feck up the cap for the new GM as well signing a lot of new contracts at the eve of being fired. 

Edited by Timråfan

7 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

smh-the-office.gif

It is mindboggling.They usually defend it with JBs drafting prowess which has amounted to almost nothing considering JB has the lowest winning percentage in comparison to Quinn, Gillis, Nonis and Burke

• Haha 2

On 2/19/2022 at 4:56 AM, filthycanuck said:

It is mindboggling.They usually defend it with JBs drafting prowess which has amounted to almost nothing considering JB has the lowest winning percentage in comparison to Quinn, Gillis, Nonis and Burke

Sure.   Nonis had one great draft and three duds - MG had the worst drafting ever but that's also to be expected - but not that terrible.   We should have for a few roster players other then Coho-Hutton and Horvat over those six years considering Horvat was at the time a trade for well for a Demko right now lol.   His drafting factually, compared to his peers over that time was ABOVE average based on where he drafted.   It was enough to stomach the sliding every lottery - actually to me made up for it.   Drafted a franchise goalie, one of the best PMD's in the league, a blue chip winger...well 3 Calder finalists in a row.   And some tweeners.     People need to educate themselves on how the draft works.  Yes a lot of guys get some games,  but very few stick.     That said each draft you should expect as par, one player.   Trading a couple firsts near the end sealed our fate.  Not enough to be a contender, just enough to make the playoffs isn't how to do it. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, IBatch said:

Trading a couple firsts near the end sealed our fate.  Not enough to be a contender, just enough to make the playoffs isn't how to do it. 

And now it's time to cash in some of those pieces for more than we paid, to reload for the young core's prime.

That IS how you do it.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 2/18/2022 at 11:21 AM, DownUndaCanuck said:

People not noticing that Brock has 10 goals and 20ish points in his last 22 games. He's back to his 40 goal scoring pace under Bruce.

Let's not give up on our young kids as soon as they start to show some promise...we've got to be patient with these guys. Trade him away and mark my words he'll end up a 30-40 goal scorer in his prime.

His "slump" was basically the first 20 games of the season. Last year he was our best forward and in the last 20 games he's back to playing at that rate.

I would consider him part of our young core - you're not going to get a better scoring young winger than Brock, what more does the kie have to do other than scoring at a 30-40 goal pace?

What do you mean he's back to his 40 goal scoring pace? He's never even been on pace for 40.

We're not giving up on him as he's showing promise. He's been regressing. His rookie year gave us so much hope, then he progressively gets worse, had a good year last season then this year regresses again.  He's literally done nothing since his rookie year to prove he's capable of 40. With the amount of time it takes him to get the puck off his stick now

i'm confident it will never happen unless he can start shooting at 20% + .

At his current career shooting % he would need to fire 310 shots or 3.78 shots a game to hit 40 goals. He doesn't get his shot off fast enough to put that many pucks on net IMO. 

I don't think management sees him as a core player either. If he's going to cost at least 7.5 there are many better options out there that can improve our team.

6 minutes ago, IBatch said:

aGENT i hope we make the playoffs and win a the cup every year.    As we should as fans.   This era doesn't allow for too much attachment to players .... for a good reason.   

FTFY                                                                        ^

3 hours ago, Goal:thecup said:

FTFY                                                                        ^

I actually had to look that up.  

Edit: In my imagination - your were swearing at me with two F words.   Ahhh how it must be nice to know the lingo.   Lol at least now i know that doesn't mean lots of love.  True story - imagine saying that when someone passes away and your giving them your condolences?  Laugh out Loud indeed. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Haha 1

On 2/21/2022 at 12:32 AM, Ferlands_Head said:

What do you mean he's back to his 40 goal scoring pace? He's never even been on pace for 40.

We're not giving up on him as he's showing promise. He's been regressing. His rookie year gave us so much hope, then he progressively gets worse, had a good year last season then this year regresses again.  He's literally done nothing since his rookie year to prove he's capable of 40. With the amount of time it takes him to get the puck off his stick now

i'm confident it will never happen unless he can start shooting at 20% + .

At his current career shooting % he would need to fire 310 shots or 3.78 shots a game to hit 40 goals. He doesn't get his shot off fast enough to put that many pucks on net IMO. 

I don't think management sees him as a core player either. If he's going to cost at least 7.5 there are many better options out there that can improve our team.

And there is the crux.   Would you be happy at say 5.5 x 5?  Or 6 x 6?   I would.   People seem to look at the stats on other teams and get stars in their eyes about what they could do on our team.   Thing is - if you actually want to look at the UFA market over the next two seasons - please inform me of whom is going to be better then BB, Horvat and Miller?   Of those you can realistically expect to stay?    I'm all ears.   Also RHDs while we are at it - and C's.   Team is still at a point where we should be building through the draft for later - that much i'm cool with.   But seriously doubt we are going to find a better player then Brock Boeser at his position - or JT Miller - or Horvat via free agency.   Didn't JB just try and do this for "8 long years"?!

• Vintage 2

26 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

I'd say there's an 80-85% chance BB will be traded!    He is simply a shooter!    End of story.

I'd say there would be 80-85% chance nobody would be talking about this if his QO was the same cap hit he's got now ... 

• Cheers 1

On 2/22/2022 at 1:34 PM, IBatch said:

And there is the crux.   Would you be happy at say 5.5 x 5?  Or 6 x 6?   I would.   People seem to look at the stats on other teams and get stars in their eyes about what they could do on our team.   Thing is - if you actually want to look at the UFA market over the next two seasons - please inform me of whom is going to be better then BB, Horvat and Miller?   Of those you can realistically expect to stay?    I'm all ears.   Also RHDs while we are at it - and C's.   Team is still at a point where we should be building through the draft for later - that much i'm cool with.   But seriously doubt we are going to find a better player then Brock Boeser at his position - or JT Miller - or Horvat via free agency.   Didn't JB just try and do this for "8 long years"?!

I would be absolutely fine with 6x6.

I wouldn't say you could find a better player than JT Miller or Bo Horvat as I consider them core players. Looking over the UFA market for the next 2 years, there are definitely players i'd rather have than Boeser such as: Hertl, Forsberg, Trocheck, Klingberg, E. Kane, Timo Meier, Larkin, Sergachev, Huberdeau sure we may pay a bit more but it would improve the team alot. 

10 hours ago, Ferlands_Head said:

I would be absolutely fine with 6x6.

I wouldn't say you could find a better player than JT Miller or Bo Horvat as I consider them core players. Looking over the UFA market for the next 2 years, there are definitely players i'd rather have than Boeser such as: Hertl, Forsberg, Trocheck, Klingberg, E. Kane, Timo Meier, Larkin, Sergachev, Huberdeau sure we may pay a bit more but it would improve the team alot. 

Huberdeau would cost a small fortune IF he makes it to free agency.  Mier has a 10 million QO to deal with - have fun with that one SJ,  no way to E. Kane ... Larkin will get re-signed, he's Detroits Horvat - but yes that would be fine - Hertl probably will get traded, but Wilson refuses to rebuild endless re-tool so who knows.   Sergachev won't hit the market.  Klingberg will - and will want at least what we are paying OEL.... Not sure how we'd cram him in but if we could trade Myers maybe.   Who of these guys aside from E Kane and Klingberg do you think will make the market and what do you think their cap hits will look like compared to Brocks? 

On 2/18/2022 at 7:36 PM, kanucks25 said:

smh-the-office.gif

I'm still a Benning fan.

Benning has made mistakes but I thought he had fixed them coming into this year.

Caphit wise,  I feel like most players are making what they should be making.

The only questionable one for me is Pearson and thats literally squabbling over 500-750k

Boeser's qualifying offer is going to suck. but current cap hit was where he should be. I guess Boesers agent did a good job.Boeser looked great in the playoffs and all of last season. Had he continued that play, the QO would have been an afterthought.

The one I didnt agree with was Holty signing as I felt Demko proved himself in the playoffs and we could have gone with a cheaper backup.  But then again, the following year, Demko went through his struggles and it as nice to have a vet presence in Holtby to fall back on so that Demko didnt have to shoulder everything.

Halak bonus will suck as well.

Oh yeah...Dickinson.... that one was a miss.

Besides those, are there many more blunders that are currently on the roster or did he fix most of his mistakes?  This seems pretty minimal to me?

I think Myers is worth his contract despite many criticism here.  Large good skating d-man and was one of the top available d-man in UFA when we signed him.

I also like Poolman as well.

Burroughs was a great surprise. Schenn as well.

Maybe my defence of Benning is because I like our current roster. I too am perplexed at their dissapointing season.  I blamed TG and I still think there is no doubt that this is a playoff team had BB been in charge the whole season.  That being said, the losses to NYI and Ana helped me realize wehave some players that lack the drive or the will to win so while I still think this is a playoff team, I wouldnt mind if we switched out some bodies and got guys with more drive.