The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Anaheim Ducks at Vancouver Canucks | Feb. 19, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, frank einstein said:

Yeah Deslaurisa Ferklanded us in the first few minutes. 

That's the thing.

Most people look to the refs and expect a call. It won't be there so if people haven't learned by now nothing will change their mind.

The playoffs (not that the Canucks had a chance) will be much much worse. So how do you counter?

Tip: Being 185 doesn't help. Don't think for one minute Deslauriers didn't see a smaller guy and steam roll him full well knowing NO ONE on Van could counter.

Edited by Chris12345

I find the biggest problem with the team is maturity. There is too much selfishness and individual play on the team and I think they are seriously lacking leadership. It'll probably take Hughes and Petterson becoming more mature and understanding what sacrifices need to be made to win, and then instilling that in the players around them. It's so mind boggling how they don't understand simple concepts like don't get scored on with less than a minute left in the period because you're dicking around with the puck in your own end. These guys don't play with the team in mind. It's all about themselves.

2 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Hey, big difference between now and the last rebuild. No old Sedin's just eating up cap as their careers dwindle down. Our best young players were Bo, Virtanen, Tryamkin. Now we have Petterson, Hughes, Podkolzin, Hoglander, Boeser. We have a great young goaltender entering his prime. A couple of moves could really change the complexion of this team moving forward. I agree JR and co. need to make their stamp on this team and give it some new life and direction. 

Oh yeah. Also no Ericksson to pair with aging Sedin's.

X-Petterson-X

Hoglander-Bo-Garland

Dickinson-X-Podkolzin

X-Lammikko-Highmore

Hughes Hamonic

OEL Myers

X-Schenn

Burroughs

Poolman

Demko

Martin

I tried to give Dickinson a fair shake but he hasn't been a success so far. Sometimes it takes a player a full year to gel with a team. We can only hope but I can't see anyone wanting him either ... but you never know. Also I like Garland but I'm not sure where he fits in. He hasn't seemed to gel with anyone yet. Hopefully Miller and Boeser trades would fill an X or two in and then we sign a couple of UFA's next year. Trading Myers sure would help the cap situation. Considering we have 5 RD's it's a loss we could theoretically handle. He's got two years after this one but he showed how valuable he could be in the playoffs during the bubble. He might be desirable to the right team.

A core built around Bo, Petey, hughes and Boeser will never win sh!t. The core of this roster is soft, gutless and weak. Let’s make some trades

• Huggy Bear 1

17 hours ago, JayDangles said:

Question for those who have more hockey knowledge than me. Are there present day examples of teams giving the captaincy to a different player and keeping the "old" captain? Or is it almost always that the captain is traded to avoid conflict or whatever. 

I believe the Kings took the C from Brown and gave it to Kopitar, and the Sharks took the C from Thornton and gave it to Couture. In both cases the previous captain stayed on the team.

3 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Ya and with all these hits and no reaction  or players sticking up for each other you can only imagine on the bench what they are saying or thinking. “I ain’t fighting anyone. I can’t fight.” Lol. It’s not even the fighting it’s the atitude we can’t let teams come in here and take advantage of us being a small, weak team.

I could just imagine Dallas Eakins speech before this game. Coming off two one-sided losses in Alberta he probably said let’s get out there and beat these guys into the wall. Anaheim is not a much better team than we are but that style of play put us in a spot where we had no response. There is definitely a book out on this team. And I’m getting real tired of it. There isn’t one player on our team that was able to rally up the boys. It’s just not in this teams identity. 
Identity. We haven’t had one in so long.

2 hours ago, Fan since 82 said:

I believe the Kings took the C from Brown and gave it to Kopitar, and the Sharks took the C from Thornton and gave it to Couture. In both cases the previous captain stayed on the team.

Ok thanks. I was just curious. I don't know what the right move is with Horvat, but I do think if the future of this team is fast, gritty and difficult to play against then we need a new "c"

9 hours ago, IBatch said:

Bertuzzi was a bully and didn't fight, well at least but yes he was a big body and used it.   Our team hasn't had a legit heavyweight since Wade Brookbank really so yes the "Bertuzzi" days.   Hordichuk was his era's Dorsett - really wasn't that good at it - just the best we had (Sorry Testito you were also terrible at it for someone your size especially, your generations Vial - aka a punching bag for the leagues top heavies)....Rypien was great for his size and Bieksa wasn't much bigger but almost always stayed in his lane at least..Rypien fought three legit fighters in Neal, Janssen and Carkner - always loved his fights but always wondered when he'd get KO'ed by fighting a Carkner or McGratton ... eventually it happened.  Can't block though those types of blows - even that terrible Oiler goon he fought finally figured out just use your strength (and he lost to anyone who knew how to fight don't even know why he was in the league really)... That said id agree at least we had some guys who were willing and could fight.   But not sure why you'd call it the "Bertuzzi days" he wasn't good at it...maybe the Jovo days - he was. 

Also it isn't on Green.  Guddy only has a couple fights per season no matter the coach.   It's all on the players.   Bruce's comments post game .... said it all.   Used to be when your getting killed on the scoreboard a fight was tactical to get you back into a game.   Bruce could walk down the entire bench and tap guys on the shoulder - they wouldn't even know what that means these days. 

I only called it the Bertuzzi days because of how far he went to stick up for Naslund. I agree with the Jovocop part and still remember how he KOed Deadmarsh and basically ended his career. It's night and day the response and pushback we had before compared to now. When Steve Moore hit Naslund he had Brad May go after him, Matt Cooke and eventually Bertuzzi. Nowadays everybody turns a blind eye. 

He fought more back in his Panther days, I think eventually guys just didn't want to fight him. Wilson tried to go after him one game, he just reverse hit Wilson like he was a bug and beat him in the fight on top of that. Honestly last night nobody was going to take on Delauriers, Schenn tried to take on a real enforcer in Johnston last time and got beat pretty bad. I love what Schenn does for this team but being a punching bag isn't intimidating to the other team. 

2 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

One play that stood out to me in that joke of a game was Matthew Highmore diving headfirst to block a shot. 

Gives er every game. Might have to be our next Tyler Motte. Hopefully he re-signs though 

4 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

One play that stood out to me in that joke of a game was Matthew Highmore diving headfirst to block a shot. 

When guys making 725k can sacrifice their bodies like that the guys making 5+ million should be embarrassed with their effort levels.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

When guys making 725k can sacrifice their bodies like that the guys making 5+ million should be embarrassed with their effort levels.

I know there are holes on the roster that need to be filled but it seems like the effort level of the top players is what is holding the team back the most

Horrible game !!! It looks the star players either wish to get trade, or don't want to play in playoff.

Horvat - disappeared the whole night.

JT  -  lazy played and always got unnecessary penalty.

Broser -  did want to score.

Burroughs - got hurt but no teammates responses???

The only bright is Pettersson, Motte line.

• Like 1