The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks exploring Tyler Myers trade

brian42

7 hours ago, Me_ said:

This thread was started February 24 and Myers is still a Canucks.

I don’t understand… I thought that by starting a thread and incessantly calling for the player’s demise is how it’s done…

I don’t understand.

Eklund hasn’t E5ed yet 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, billabong said:

Myers has value across the league 

He ISN'T a Norris trophy defenseman so when he makes a mistake, like everyone else in the league, this city jumps on him for some dumb reason 

Moving him shouldn’t be difficult and I see a 3rd pick as a return as very probable 

But why would you want to trade a Myers for a 3rd, that may never play in the NHL? Myers, Hughes, and OEL eat most, if not all the minutes on the Canuck D, so who do you replace him with? I think because of his stature he stands out when he does make a mistake, but it seems no one else in the lineup does.

9 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

But why would you want to trade a Myers for a 3rd, that may never play in the NHL? Myers, Hughes, and OEL eat most, if not all the minutes on the Canuck D, so who do you replace him with? I think because of his stature he stands out when he does make a mistake, but it seems no one else in the lineup does.

Salary Cap. 6 mill cap hit. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, johngould21 said:

Because change is needed

Take that 6m in cap space reallocate elsewhere 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Salary Cap. 6 mill cap hit. 

For that money alone, that's what its going to cost to replace Myers don't you think? To me this seems like replace A with B for the same money. If it is Myers that they're trying to move, I'd be very interested in who they are targeting, but, somehow I don't think they are. He's a right hand D, which don't grow on trees.

19 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

For that money alone, that's what its going to cost to replace Myers don't you think? To me this seems like replace A with B for the same money. If it is Myers that they're trying to move, I'd be very interested in who they are targeting, but, somehow I don't think they are. He's a right hand D, which don't grow on trees.

He's good, 2nd pair D but an ill fit with either Hughes or OEL. If he can't play in your top 4 with those guys, $6m is a lot to be paying your 3rd pair D and takes away from your ability to actually find (pay) top 4 who DO fit. He's also expiring in two years and we need a succession plan there, sooner than later.

Thankfully, what both those guys need is a good defensive D (who don't cost as much). We could trade a Miller/Boeser/Garland for a guy like Marino, sign a guy like Lyubushkin and actually have a better, younger, more cohesive D core and hardly be spending more cap on those two guys, than we do on the ill fitting Myers alone.

20 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

He was one of 3 legit D-men we had last season. I dunno why people rag on him so much.

we just cant be paying 6 MIL for a guy who only scored 1 goal in 82 games man

at least reallocate the money to miller/horvat if anything

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2022 at 11:51 PM, N7Nucks said:

He was one of 3 legit D-men we had last season. I dunno why people rag on him so much.

He is a poor fit for either of our two top LD, he is ona big cap hit, and he had his first decent season in a long while.

If there is a chance to move him and get anything at all in return, do it now before he regresses back to Tyler Minors who’s core skill is icing the puck or turning it over to the opposition.

1 hour ago, Provost said:

He is a poor fit for either of our two top LD, he is ona big cap hit, and he had his first decent season in a long while.

If there is a chance to move him and get anything at all in return, do it now before he regresses back to Tyler Minors who’s core skill is icing the puck or turning it over to the opposition.

Yeah some people talk about Myers minutes but do we really need a minute muncher with Hughes and OEL both capable of doing that? Certainly we can find two replacements on TD who can mange those minutes and not spend entire shifts and game turning the puck over to the other team.

Imo as soon as Myers pretends to be a #1 dman and plays lots of minutes while trying to single-handedly rush the puck, he looks terrible. I don't think his level of play will be particularly hard to replace personally. In fact I think our defence will be better with two simpler players who are quicker decision makers and better passers that defend better.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah some people talk about Myers minutes but do we really need a minute muncher with Hughes and OEL both capable of doing that? Certainly we can find two replacements on TD who can mange those minutes and not spend entire shifts and game turning the puck over to the other team.

Imo as soon as Myers pretends to be a #1 dman and plays lots of minutes while trying to single-handedly rush the puck, he looks terrible. I don't think his level of play will be particularly hard to replace personally. In fact I think our defence will be better with two simpler players who are quicker decision makers and better passers that defend better.

He'd be fine paying with at lefty like McNabb that can cover for his offensive forays and occasional lapses in judgement. 

That would actually likely be a very physically dominating 2nd pairing to play against. No fun for the opposition.

We don't have a McNabb on our roster however.

Edit: Edler would have made a good partner as well in his later years here.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

He's be fine paying with at lefty like McNabb that can cover for his offensive forays and occasional lapses in judgement. 

That would actually likely be a very physically dominating 2nd pairing to play against. No fun for the opposition.

We don't have a McNabb on our roster however.

Yeah, that would be a great type of partner for him. He's our third best defender though and his 6m salary should be allocated to the right type of players our team needs. We don't need him at this stage if we can find adequate replacements. Our goal should be the future of the RD in which Myers needs replacing anyway. 

Imagine that as our third pairing though. Now that would be an amazing luxury lol

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Even a Hughes partner doesn’t need to be elite.  Hughes will get a lot of his minutes on the PP where his partner won’t be playing.  All we need is a guy who can play 18-20 minutes a night, really solid defensively, and good enough to get the puck to Hughes.

To me (assuming Hughes and OEL are here for the next several years)… is to find a reliable 3rd pairing to play the Pk and defensive draws. 

OEL and Myers are terribly miscast in that role, though they did an OK job last year.  It cost us all of OELs offence though, and that is his forte.  When Hughes was hurt, OEL started piling up points.

Much like Malhotra freed up Kesler to become an offensive player… if we get a 3rd pairing to do that for OELs pairing, the team will see massive dividends from that.

The Hague rumours of being available is the kind of thing that would be relatively cheap, a Hague-Schenn pairing would be pretty darn solid.

• Cheers 3

18 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah, that would be a great type of partner for him. He's our third best defender though and his 6m salary should be allocated to the right type of players our team needs. We don't need him at this stage if we can find adequate replacements. Our goal should be the future of the RD in which Myers needs replacing anyway. 

Imagine that as our third pairing though. Now that would be an amazing luxury lol

In that scenario, I'd probably have shifted one of Hughes/OEL to the right.

Hughes, OEL

Edler, Myers

Dermott, Schenn

Either way, yes. Myers is an ill fit with our top 4 LD who aren't going anywhere (nor should they, as they're both superior players) and he needs replacing in two years anyway as you said.

Even top defensive D tend to max out at around $4.5m. So if we could get one of those via trade, free agency etc, and use that $1.5m+ cap savings elsewhere...

• Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, Provost said:

Even a Hughes partner doesn’t need to be elite.  Hughes will get a lot of his minutes on the PP where his partner won’t be playing.  All we need is a guy who can play 18-20 minutes a night, really solid defensively, and good enough to get the puck to Hughes.

Yup... While I'm certainly not going to complain if we unearth the next Lidstrom or Pronger to play opposite him for the next decade, something like a younger Tanev would be just fine as a "next best".

10 minutes ago, Provost said:

To me (assuming Hughes and OEL are here for the next several years)… is to find a reliable 3rd pairing to play the Pk and defensive draws. 

OEL and Myers are terribly miscast in that role, though they did an OK job last year.  It cost us all of OELs offence though, and that is his forte.  When Hughes was hurt, OEL started piling up points.

Much like Malhotra freed up Kesler to become an offensive player… if we get a 3rd pairing to do that for OELs pairing, the team will see massive dividends from that.

The Hague rumours of being available is the kind of thing that would be relatively cheap, a Hague-Schenn pairing would be pretty darn solid.

Not just third pairing, I'd hope we could  find some of those guys to play opposite Hughes and OEL too. Heck OEL could shift right and probably make a damn fine 2nd pairing with Hague too. Then run with Rathbone and Schenn on the 3rd pair.

Otherwise I hope we're targeting guys like Marino, Lyubushkin, Carlo etc. To play with them as well.

• Cheers 1

On 6/14/2022 at 11:51 PM, N7Nucks said:

From my POV, his tendency to commit a brain fart, atleast once a game makes him a liability - especially, when pressured.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 2