The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks exploring Tyler Myers trade

brian42

7 hours ago, grandmaster said:

Folks like to complain about this “chaos giraffe” but he would be hard to replace. I hope not….

While I agree he gets an unnecessary amount of hate, a lot depends on what other returns we get elsewhere. Get a Marino and one of Schneider, Lundkvist, Barron etc back in other moves and moving Myers starts to make a lot more sense, while shaving off pretty sizeable cap dollars.

I wonder if the Stars would have interest this summer with Klingberg expiring...

10 hours ago, Toyotasfan said:

I was watching the Capitals feed tonight and the announcers were drooling over Myers and suggesting he would be a great fit in a Caps uniform.  

Myers or Motte? 

We all love Motte but Myers is polarizing here. 

I dunno why we crap on Tyler. We need him when games get tough. 

Grass is always greener I guess. 

11 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Feels more like a summer move anyway if it were to happen.

An older team like DAL already losing a righty in Klingberg might be interested in his short (2 year) remaining term at that point. And he's originally from Texas...

• 2 months later...

I agree with the other CDCers in the JT Miller thread, it was getting sidetracked with Tyler Myers trade discussions. 

So here we are.  The big 6'8" RHD gets his own thread.

Frank Seravelli believes there is a genuine market out there for Tyler Myers.  I agree, a big 6'8" top 4 RHD that eats big minutes and has a nasty side to his game?  I'm sure there are quite a few teams out there.

https://canucksarmy.com/2022/06/07/the-trade-market-for-canucks-d-tyler-myers-might-be-14-teams-bigger-than-we-thought/

13 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I agree with the other CDCers in the JT Miller thread, it was getting sidetracked with Tyler Myers trade discussions. 

So here we are.  The big 6'8" RHD gets his own thread.

Frank Seravelli believes there is a genuine market out there for Tyler Myers.  I agree, a big 6'8" top 4 RHD that eats big minutes and has a nasty side to his game?  I'm sure there are quite a few teams out there.

https://canucksarmy.com/2022/06/07/the-trade-market-for-canucks-d-tyler-myers-might-be-14-teams-bigger-than-we-thought/

Who doesnt like a top 4 that includes Poolman and Schenn....I'd like to wait to see what we get back from JT Miller first. 

• Cheers 1

With a plan in place to replace him?

Absolutely.

Good player but an ill fit (and expensive for being one) on our D. Doesn't fit well with Hughes or OEL and $6m is a lot to pay a guy you can't play in your top 4.

Fact is we have a plethora of puck moving D on the left who need "simple", solid defensive guys on the right. Not another 2 way/puck moving guy.

Added bonus that those guys are cheaper and easier to find/acquire. We could trade for a guy like Marino and sign Lyubushkin and be spending about the same cap, while having a better, more cohesive D core that's younger and a better mid-long term solution than Myers with only 2 years left is.

• Cheers 2

A 450pg trade discussion is pretty much side tracked by default. 
The chaos giraffe had a decent year but they need some cap flexibility and a more long term solution to the problem of who plays with Quinn. 
If you can trade him without giving up assets, you do and use that cap space as the asset it is to find Q’s partner either through trade or UFA. 
‘Once you have that settled it is easier to slide into the issue of who plays with OEL. Frankly it is probably an easier problem to fix. OEL is a solid vet who can play both sides of the puck decently. I doubt finding him a partner will be too challenging, he even made Poolman look decent at times. OEL is untradeable so make the best of having him and Q as your left side. 
Oh and if find Q a stable partner, Schenn may be a good fit to let OEL do his thing a little more for the next year anyway. 

Edited by DrJockitch

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

As long as there's no retention, I'm open to it.  

I think the return might be a bit low without retention, but I do think he has value, even at full price.

Just now, -AJ- said:

I think the return might be a bit low without retention, but I do think he has value, even at full price.

I'd rather a low return over crippling the franchise with long-term dead cap.  We have one more year of it as it is, and I would fully support firing JR on the spot if he repeated the mistakes of Gillis and Benning.

7 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I'd rather a low return over crippling the franchise with long-term dead cap.  We have one more year of it as it is, and I would fully support firing JR on the spot if he repeated the mistakes of Gillis and Benning.

I agree that I'd rather not retain on Myers, but it depends on what retaining say.. 1M brings back as a return. Two years of 1M wouldn't be long-term dead cap. 

• Cheers 2

Just now, Coconuts said:

I agree that I'd rather not retain on Myers, but it depends on what retaining say.. 1M brings back as a return. Two years of 1M wouldn't be long-term dead cap. 

It would still be two years of wasted cap space.  I don't consider retaining any salary whatsoever to be acceptable beyond next year and will be calling for management to be replaced if they're stupid enough to retain.