The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks exploring Tyler Myers trade

brian42

5 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I don't think Myers will be here beyond his current contract, he'll be 34 when it expires, but I've got zero interest in Klingberg 

I firmly believe we need to get younger on D, having Hughes as the only younger guy isn't good enough 

does that fit Demko's window here tho? not sure we have time to pull off a home grown defence in the next 2-3 years. Maybe one more top prospect if we can get lucky at the draft. We're still going to need 4 veterans on the d group. 

6 minutes ago, JM_ said:

does that fit Demko's window here tho? not sure we have time to pull off a home grown defence in the next 2-3 years. Maybe one more top prospect if we can get lucky at the draft. We're still going to need 4 veterans on the d group. 

Homegrown, not homegrown, doesn't really matter so long as we find a way to do it imo

It's why any Boeser or Miller trade could be so important, it'd be a great way to try and get younger on D

I also think we need to be willing to draft more D high if they're in the range of our picks

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

6 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I don't think Myers will be here beyond his current contract, he'll be 34 when it expires, but I've got zero interest in Klingberg 

I firmly believe we need to get younger on D, having Hughes as the only younger guy isn't good enough 

I would LOVE if we could move two of Myers, Hamonic and Poolman out, add a Schneider, Lundqvist etc via trade, sign Lyubushkin this summer as a stop gap, and somehow, miraculously land Jiricek this draft.

17 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I would LOVE if we could move two of Myers, Hamonic and Poolman out, add a Schneider, Lundqvist etc via trade, sign Lyubushkin this summer as a stop gap, and somehow, miraculously land Jiricek this draft.

Admittedly not familiar with Jiricek but I've seen a few folks around here speak highly of him as a prospect

Same goes for Lyubushkin, but I doubt Toronto finds a way to keep him, we'll see

I could maybe see Myers go but I figure Hamonic probably plays here til his deal expires

Dunno about Poolman, he's not as awful as some folks would have people believe, but he'd free up some cap 

Schneider would be great, Lundqvist would admittedly be interesting, getting Lundqvist would still leave us needing someone for Hughes though as I don't see those two playing together 

Admittedly not familiar with Jiricek but I've seen a few folks around here speak highly of him as a prospect

Same goes for Lyubushkin, but I doubt Toronto finds a way to keep him, we'll see

I could maybe see Myers go but I figure Hamonic probably plays here til his deal expires

Dunno about Poolman, he's not as awful as some folks would have people believe, but he'd free up some cap 

He's not as awful, no. My issue is that we have two middling +/-$3m bottom/middle pair tweeners on the roster. IMO, we need one, not both. And Hamonic has been MIA a LOT and Poolman doesn't have the pk, shut down etc profile we really need. It's just poorly constructed.

Schneider would be great, Lundqvist would admittedly be interesting, getting Lundqvist would still leave us needing someone for Hughes though as I don't see those two playing together 

Yup. Long term that could be Jiricek (in my "what if" scenario there). But we'd need a stop gap post-Schenn. My suggestion is Lyubushkin.

Just now, theo5789 said:

Not sure if the cap space works out for both sides, but I wonder if Pittsburgh would interested in something like

Garland

Myers

For

Kapanen

Marino

Hallander

2nd

Pitsburgh would like that for sure, but we sure as hell wouldn't.  I don't thinik the Pens have anything we want.  Their top guys are all aging out.  

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Folks like to complain about this “chaos giraffe” but he would be hard to replace. I hope not….

The snarl he brings back there would definitely be missed.  The only thing I could see is that Hamonic could move into the role? 

Hughes-Schenn

OEL-Hamonic

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

The snarl he brings back there would definitely be missed.  The only thing I could see is that Hamonic could move into the role? 

Hughes-Schenn

OEL-Hamonic

Quite possible.  The D would be weaker.

Hughes-Schenn

OEL-Hamonic

Hunt-Poolman

:mellow:

2 minutes ago, BPA said:

Quite possible.  The D would be weaker.

Hughes-Schenn

OEL-Hamonic

Hunt-Poolman

:mellow:

Without a doubt it would be.  I just can't see how we would make a move like that when we're so deep on the wings up front.  Makes most sense to move Boeser or Garland.

Are people hitching to the Marino wagon because of echo chamber effect?

He's decent, but he's not a solution.

Sure he's a RHD, about average size, and don't get me wrong, I see his potential.

But if we're going to be a contending team, and are potentially losing a Boeser or Garland in a deal, why would the key piece in any trade coming back be a sometimes 2nd/3rd pairing D who, while young at only 24, is still relatively average at 4.4per and often injured? Just because his name has been rumoured in PIT trade speculation? Why would that be, especially when their D is requiring new blood to lead soon. They have Joseph and Pettersson, does that make Marino expendable?

Here are his stats, it's nothing to be targeting as THE resolution to our D woes. Perhaps he rounds out to be a solid 2way stud D. I'm on the fence.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/m/marinjo01.html

I just think if we're pursuing a RHD with the intention to revamp the back end in the next couple years, we should be gunning for a definitive 1st/2nd line D with the assets we have to trade.

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, RWJC said:

Are people hitching to the Marino wagon because of echo chamber effect?

He's decent, but he's not a solution.

Sure he's a RHD, about average size, and don't get me wrong, I see his potential.

But if we're going to be a contending team, and are potentially losing a Boeser or Garland in a deal, why would the key piece in any trade coming back be a sometimes 2nd/3rd pairing D who, while young at only 24, is still relatively average at 4.4per and often injured? Just because his name has been rumoured in PIT trade speculation? Why would that be, especially when their D is requiring new blood to lead soon. They have Joseph and Pettersson, does that make Marino expendable?

Here are his stats, it's nothing to be targeting as THE resolution to our D woes. Perhaps he rounds out to be a solid 2way stud D. I'm on the fence.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/m/marinjo01.html

I just think if we're pursuing a RHD with the intention to revamp the back end in the next couple years, we should be gunning for a definitive 1st/2nd line D with the assets we have to trade.

As well as the team has played under Boudreau it is still regular season play. Playoffs are a different game. The weakness in the Van d-game will be challenged big time. The more games played the better the opposition will have a read on the Canucks. Unfair to put it all on Demko. Not realistic. Moving Miller out has to give us a #1 RD or a player with the potential.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Boudrias said:

As well as the team has played under Boudreau it is still regular season play. Playoffs are a different game. The weakness in the Van d-game will be challenged big time. The more games played the better the opposition will have a read on the Canucks. Unfair to put it all on Demko. Not realistic. Moving Miller out has to give us a #1 RD or a player with the potential.

The funny thing is the Canucks have been one of the best teams 5v5 in the Boudreau era.  I'd argue the Canucks could possibly see even more success in the playoffs because the whistles tend to go away then.  We also know the PK is the Canucks weakest link of all.  Less penalties, less PPs, less PKs.

Myers is not the answer for our team. He uses his size well on the boards and corners, but more to lean on and smother guys rather than outright crush them. He also has good speed for such a big guy. But really, he tends not to score much and while his defensive skills are adequate, he's no Tanev. And that's what we need.

I'd far sooner be paying 6m for a guy who scores maybe even a little less but is a real presence out there. Someone with elite defensive ability but also better suited than Myers to lay down full-on hits without always being called for it when he does.

This isn't to say we don't need more scoring from the back end - we do - but I think we need an elite shutdown d-man perhaps even more.

As far as scoring ability goes, we have Hughes-  of course, but could use another guy like him to balance out the blueline scoring threat and to man the 2nd pp unit. OEL had been hoped to be that guy, but let's face it - with his 1 point every 3 games average since joining the Canucks, he can be relied on for secondary defensive scoring only. Here's where I'm hoping Rathbone may develop and be that guy because... really... who else do we have in the pipeline who could?

Clearing 6m by moving Myers would be a HUGE win for the team. Yes it leaves a hole but we have RHD still

Hamonic

Schenn

Poolman

Burroughs

Juulsen

Bowey

Woo

Not a strong list of RHD but I would rather move Myers and his 6m to free up taking a run at signing JT, Bo, Brock etc who are much younger than Myers and more important to the team. That and we could use the $ to dip into the UFA pool this summer or the following off season.

Does moving Myers make us a bit weaker sure, are we a cup winning caliber team with Myers NOPE! He just doesn't fit our window and the cap hit is high, already got the OEL boat anchor contract to drag us down for years to come as it is!

The Kraken are in desperate need for a 2nd pairing RD. 

Myers for Appleton RW ($.900 RFA)  Play-maker that can score.  Had a better season with the Jets

before entry draft to the Karken.

Appleton will probably get in the $2-2.5m range next season.  Leaves Canucks with $4mx2 less salary.

He would look good on Bo's line

Edited by higgyfan
  • Like 1