The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks exploring Tyler Myers trade

brian42

On 2/24/2022 at 10:54 AM, aGENT said:

I could see a Myers for Shultz solution or replacing a traded Klingberg solution, (assuming he gets traded) as others have suggested. But retaining cap, I have zero interest in.

We either take back (expiring) cap, or we're better off just keeping him. You're either spending less money on a downgraded replacement, or just as much, or more, on something comparable.

Moving Myers to take on an OEL plus sized Klingberg deal i suppose makes some sense.    One expensive D we'd have although QHs would somewhat help with that cost.    Klingberg is smaller though and how much PP time would he actually get?  

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

Moving Myers to take on an OEL plus sized Klingberg deal i suppose makes some sense.    One expensive D we'd have although QHs would somewhat help with that cost.    Klingberg is smaller though and how much PP time would he actually get?  

No Klingberg! 

do_not_want8.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Odjick29willkillyou said:

I live in DFW so I see and hear about Klinger a lot. He is great on the PP, but only decent on 5x5 and does not play the PK. His recent absence was highly reflected on their PP as Heiskenen was doing his best, but was no Klinger. Klinger has fallen off over the past couple seasons, but that could also be due to Heiskenen's emergence and stealing his ice time. He would be redundant with what he already have in QH and OEL plus demand a bigger deal. I would honestly rather have the Giraffe for his ability to PK and shut down 5x5. 

Yeah, what I wrote there was that theoretically DAL could move Kling as a rental, to a contender. We then trade Myers to them as a 2.5 year "replacement". In no way, shape or form am I suggesting we get Kling.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yeah, what I wrote there was that theoretically DAL could move Kling as a rental, to a contender. We then trade Myers to them as a 2.5 year "replacement". In no way, shape or form am I suggesting we get Kling.

i like the plan you suggest, but who do we replace Myers with?  Woo?  Schneider (from the Miller deal)?  Right now OEL and Myers are taking the hardes minutes, right?  I don't know if we can expect a young guy to take Myers' role.  So wouldn't we need to either trade for an experienced guy, or sign a UFA?  Might cost us the same and get a guy not as good.  I think we might be best keeping Myers to eat the hard minutes.

28 minutes ago, Alflives said:

i like the plan you suggest, but who do we replace Myers with?  Woo?  Schneider (from the Miller deal)?  Right now OEL and Myers are taking the hardes minutes, right?  I don't know if we can expect a young guy to take Myers' role.  So wouldn't we need to either trade for an experienced guy, or sign a UFA?  Might cost us the same and get a guy not as good.  I think we might be best keeping Myers to eat the hard minutes.

For the rest of this year (assuming we're out of playoff hunt at TDL), we'd probably simply go with Schenn, Hamonic and Poolman. Unless yes, we get a guy like Schneider from a Miller trade.

This is also something that could happen in the summer if Dallas is looking for a replacement and use Kling as an own-rental.

In the summer, I'd look at moving one of Poolman/Hamonic and signing Lyubushkin.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bad alice french said:

Let's see Hamonic score a goal like that. Not on your life. Love Myers. So underrated it's nuts.

Uhhh.  They both have just one on the year.  Hamonic has done so in half the gp, and half the salary.  Not saying.  Just saying. 

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

Yep.   He's essentially taken on Edlers former role, when he was the same age minus the top PP time.    Except he's faster and has a longer neck.    5 x 5 against the best of the best him and OEL is the most solid pairing we've had since Bieksa and Hamhuis.   Wish we had one more like him .... and as far as his cap hit goes - if the cap went up nobody would even care that much.   Looking at the next two UFA crops - we aren't getting anything from that avenue - and if we did it would be Klingberg - who wants a massive anchor deal.   Not even sure if that's an upgrade other then some points added - but even then only so many he's going to get unless he's on the first PP unit.     OEL/Myers is a pairing we should play out.   It would be a tank move.  

I agree he's been pretty good lately. He's unique, he's big, and fast for a big guy, but I vehemently disagree with wishing we had more like him. While they offer a unique skill set you can really only have so many over-sized, awkward, immobile players on the backend. If we have Myers back there we need to compliment him with guys that are quick and have good puck skills so we don't get targeted. For how decent Myers is he's continually turning the puck over in our end due to poor puck skills, and slow, unsure, decision making. You can hide a guy to two like this in the line-up but anymore and the opposing coach will game-plan for that.

8 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I agree he's been pretty good lately. He's unique, he's big, and fast for a big guy, but I vehemently disagree with wishing we had more like him. While they offer a unique skill set you can really only have so many over-sized, awkward, immobile players on the backend. If we have Myers back there we need to compliment him with guys that are quick and have good puck skills so we don't get targeted. For how decent Myers is he's continually turning the puck over in our end due to poor puck skills, and slow, unsure, decision making. You can hide a guy to two like this in the line-up but anymore and the opposing coach will game-plan for that.

That sounds just like Edler complainers. Good grief - how do you think QHs and Schenn would do without OEL-Myers.   Edler lead the league one year in minus ...  which is my point.   The more top four guys you have - the better the overall D.     Edler was constantly getting beat or passing to the wrong guy too until the reserves (new guys) came in.    I would welcome more guys like Myers for sure, same with OEL and same with Edler.   It's why our 2011 team was so good. 

Edit.  A right side of Stecher's and Hamonic's doesn't work.   Same with Del Zotto's and Gudbranson's 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

That sounds just like Edler complainers. Good grief - how do you think QHs and Schenn would do without OEL-Myers.   Edler lead the league one year in minus ...  which is my point.   The more top four guys you have - the better the overall D.     Edler was constantly getting beat or passing to the wrong guy too until the reserves (new guys) came in.    I would welcome more guys like Myers for sure, same with OEL and same with Edler.   It's why our 2011 team was so good. 

Edit.  A right side of Stecher's and Hamonic's doesn't work.   Same with Del Zotto's and Gudbranson's 

I think you missed my point. I didn't say I didn't like Myers or don't think he's doing a good job. In fact I said the opposite. I was just saying I don't want 6 of them back there. Did you see the play yesterday in the third period where he was facing the corner boards and played it blind between his legs directly in front of the net with not a single Canuck anywhere around?

I could be wrong but if I'm the other coach I'm telling my team to dump it in the left corner every play. You have Schenn who can barely skate and never rushes the puck, Hamonic who isn't much quicker, and Myers who is fast when he gets going but slower than both of them from a stand still. Maybe I'm completely off my rocker but last time I checked mobility was a pretty key attribute in the NHL.

To be clear I'm not downgrading Myers but suggesting our defence may be a little slow and immobile overall. I'm sorry if I offended your sensibilities I-Batch.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I think you missed my point. I didn't say I didn't like Myers or don't think he's doing a good job. In fact I said the opposite. I was just saying I don't want 6 of them back there. Did you see the play yesterday in the third period where he was facing the corner boards and played it blind between his legs directly in front of the net with not a single Canuck anywhere around?

I could be wrong but if I'm the other coach I'm telling my team to dump it in the left corner every play. You have Schenn who can barely skate and never rushes the puck, Hamonic who isn't much quicker, and Myers who is fast when he gets going but slower than both of them from a stand still. Maybe I'm completely off my rocker but last time I checked mobility was a pretty key attribute in the NHL.

To be clear I'm not downgrading Myers but suggesting our defence may be a little slow and immobile overall. I'm sorry if I offended your sensibilities I-Batch.

Lol gotcha.   I don't want six back there either - that's 36$ of 82.5 too much money.   But i do think that having six top four D's makes for a very good mix of guys - just like it did during the peak Sedin era (which was actually 7 deep).... it makes everyone's job easier.    When i said we need more like Myers, i'm referring to more quality defenders.   It takes a village.   And hey no worries ... i've defended Myers since we've signed him - he wants to be here and think he's taken a lot of flak - just like Edler used too and like Bieksa used too.  I don't like a D-core that is passive and easily pushed around.   All three of those guys got flak on this site - that didn't really deserve it at one point or another. 

Edited by IBatch

The two teams I could see this working with is NSH or LAK

They could use an upgrade on RD but would need a contract moved that is just as long as myers. So maybe they get Motte as a contenders piece to help them take on a little extra cap for the last 2 years with myers 

My idea with NSH:

To Van:

Phillipe Myers+ 3rd round pick (LAK)  

To NSH:

Tyler Myers+ Tyler Motte 

My idea for LAK:

To Van:

Matt Roy+ Samuel Fagemo

To LAK:

Tyler Myers+ Tyler Motte 

9 hours ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

The two teams I could see this working with is NSH or LAK

They could use an upgrade on RD but would need a contract moved that is just as long as myers. So maybe they get Motte as a contenders piece to help them take on a little extra cap for the last 2 years with myers 

My idea with NSH:

To Van:

Phillipe Myers+ 3rd round pick (LAK)  

To NSH:

Tyler Myers+ Tyler Motte 

My idea for LAK:

To Van:

Matt Roy+ Samuel Fagemo

To LAK:

Tyler Myers+ Tyler Motte 

Can't see Nashville adding a 6M D for their 3rd pairing.  Their top-4 has been set all season.  Poile also talks of being in a transition to get younger.

Matt Roy is their 2nd most used D after Doughty - don't see why LA would have any interest.

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 1

I don't think Myers will be here beyond his current contract, he'll be 34 when it expires, but I've got zero interest in Klingberg 

I firmly believe we need to get younger on D, having Hughes as the only younger guy isn't good enough 

• Cheers 2