The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks exploring Tyler Myers trade

brian42

48 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Okay then we do disagree I don’t know lol.

In my opinion a true top four D is someone who has a baseline effectiveness / level of play that doesn’t matter who their partner is.

I agree in team building, stacking and pairing complimentary skill sets and setting players up to succeed. But I think playing a top four dman with a complementary player stylistically will elevate his partners play not be the criteria to being a fully cable top four dman.  

myers was most successful in Winnipeg on the bottom pairing.

in his time in Vancouver he was forced into top pairing / top 4 match ups because of our lack of depth. He hasn’t ever excelled offensively or defensively on our team.

last year was his best year as a Canuck and it took OEL really covering fro him to get there. 

I think he can be a top 4 d with a perfect partner sure. Maybe Mcnabb or a type like that would be perfect for him. Maybe not. Because under the microscope you watch myers  play and he’s very inconsistent. 

Your point with methot is the same as Schenn with Hughes. And I understand your point.

but they’ve not found a proper fit for Myers in his time here and Winnipeg didn’t really either. He’s also not strong enough offensively to justify covering all of his gaps from his partner especially at his salary level.

we don’t gotta agree.

you think myers is a Bonadife top 4 guy and we just failed in acquiring the right partner for him and I disagree I think he’s A bottom pairing guy who needs a perfect partner to fit into a top 4 guy or can play up in a Pinch (injuries)

also I understand team building / partners. But you also need your top four guys to be capable enough to play a solid game if their perfect complimentary style partner gets hurt and they have to play with the next man up.

like Hughes will still play well with bear or Burroughs on his pairing if schenn got hurt. 

Hughes is a number 1d (or damn close). A number 4 D (Myers) is not really comparable.

And even then, do you think a top 4 of 4 Hughes clones would make an effective top 4?

I sure don't.

Hughes himself needs a certain type of partner to get the best out of him too. And he's WAY better than Myers. So why would we expect Myers to not perform better with a complementary partner?

This isn't a video game.

Edited by aGENT

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

So I guess it was Myers vetoing a trade to the Sens.

I do that deal, it saves cap… and Zaitsev isn’t any good either but maybe could end up as a better complementary fit.

I would try to waive Myers first though.

Edited by Provost

Just now, aGENT said:

Hughes is a number 1d (or damn close). A number 4 D (Myers) is not really comparable.

And even then, do you think a top 4 of 4 Hughes clones would make an effective top 4?

I sure don't.

Hughes himself needs a certain type of partner to get the best out of him too. And he's WAY better than Myers. So why would we expect Myers to not perform better with a complementary partner. 

This isn't a video game.

Lmao feel like you just wanna argue with me.

all good namaste and I do not think it’s a video game.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Provost said:

I do that deal, it saves cap… and Zaitsev isn’t any good either but maybe could end up as a better complementary fit.

I didn’t even realize it would be for cap reasons with my initial reaction and potentially an easier buy out. So ya damn could a been nice to swing that

3 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Lmao feel like you just wanna argue with me.

all good namaste and I do not think it’s a video game.

Nope but I think it's silly that people can seem to grasp that Hughes excels with a more defensive D (Schenn in a pinch, ideally a Tanev/Pesce type or a maybe Cernak etc) but can't seem to accept that Myers might need a complementary partner to excel as well.

He's a RHD with size, who can skate, carries the puck relatively well, can put up complimentary offense, plays reasonably physically (for 2022) and elevates his play in the playoffs. That's not a bottom pair D. Does he need a partner to cover for his occasional "chaos"? Absolutely.

But so does Hughes for his occasional miscues and lack of size. And he's a MUCH better player.

Are we in any position to add that Myers partner with Hughes and OEL on the left already? Nope. Don't have the roster or cap space. Given he expires anyway the year after this, why would we anyway? 

13 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Nope but I think it's silly that people can seem to grasp that Hughes excels with a more defensive D (Schenn in a pinch, ideally a Tanev/Pesce type or a maybe Cernak etc) but can't seem to accept that Myers might need a complementary partner to excel as well.

He's a RHD with size, who can skate, carries the puck relatively well, can put up complimentary offense, plays reasonably physically (for 2022) and elevates his play in the playoffs. That's not a bottom pair D. Does he need a partner to cover for his occasional "chaos"? Absolutely.

But so does Hughes for his occasional miscues and lack of size. And he's a MUCH better player.

Are we in any position to add that Myers partner with Hughes and OEL on the left already? Nope. Don't have the roster or cap space. Given he expires anyway the year after this, why would we anyway? 

not sure how you say you don’t wanna just argue and then reference me as people who don’t understand Hughes has done better with a def first partner.. I said the complete  opposite of that in my posts to you.

I know what Myers is and we disagree on our evaluation of Myers as a player In General. 

But we do agree he’d be better with a strong defense first defensive partner and would be a better fit on another team. 

And  that’s okay. Have a great night mate! 

I think this was probably discussed at the draft and is just rehashed reporting.

Zaitsev is AHL bound, barring any further injuries on OTT D.

Makes no sense for us to deal out right now when we could do this kind of deal with Myers around the deadline with relative ease, imho

46 minutes ago, Provost said:

I would try to waive Myers first though.

Never got to Myers per Friedman.  Friedman even mentions Dhaliwal who reported earlier this week that Myers or any other player did not reject a trade to Ottawa. 

9 minutes ago, RWJC said:

I think this was probably discussed at the draft and is just rehashed reporting.

Zaitsev is AHL bound, barring any further injuries on OTT D.

Makes no sense for us to deal out right now when we could do this kind of deal with Myers around the deadline with relative ease, imho

Unless they want the cap space for another deal now.

• Cheers 2

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/nhl-report-senators-and-canucks-came-close-to-zaitsev-myers-swap-041110881.html

This is Rutherford's idea of improving the Canucks :lol::picard:

While rumours swirl around Tyler Myers’ future with the Vancouver Canucks, another potential suitor has emerged in the form of the Ottawa Senators.

Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman reported on the 32 Thoughts segment of Hockey Night in Canada on Saturday that the Senators were looking to send Nikita Zaitsev in return for Myers, offering the Canucks some salary cap relief in return for a much-needed blue line presence.

Myers still has two years left on his five-year, $30-million ($6-million AAV) contract that was signed back in 2019, and his departure in this deal would have freed up $1.5-million in cap space. Zaitsev is signed through the 2023-24 season on a seven-year, $31.5-million ($4.5-million AAV) contract he inked with the Toronto Maple Leafs in 2017.

Despite the interest from both clubs, Zaitsev—who has a partial no-trade clause—reportedly refused the trade, killing the deal before it had the chance to be sent to Myers for approval.

Zaitsev’s time in Ottawa has been less than astounding, failing to play more than 60 games in a season—save the 62 he played last year—or record more than 20 points since he arrived in 2019.

The Russian blueliner only has a single assist this season and was placed on waivers on Nov. 9, clearing the next day. He was assigned to Ottawa’s AHL affiliate in Belleville on Friday afternoon.

Considering Myers’ stature, his right-handedness and his ability to play big minutes both at even strength and the penalty kill, it’s no surprise that there’s a market for his services.

All signs point to Vancouver shopping Myers as a way to free up cap space in order to re-sign team captain Bo Horvat, whose contract is up at the end of the season and leaves him an unrestricted free agent. Horvat is currently second in the race for the Rocket Richard trophy, having scored 14 goals in 18 games this season, sitting just one behind Connor McDavid.

Both the Senators and Canucks are looking to shake things up after sluggish starts to the 2022-23 campaign, with both squads sitting near the bottom of their respective divisions.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Keith Ballard is probably a decent comparable.  He actually played pretty ok with Tanev,.

• Cheers 1