The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

THAT needs to be our main Jersey.

Rate this topic

TheNewGM

3 hours ago, TheNewGM said:

Simple = best would be our old giant  V  ...

I like the colors and spaghetti logo cause its what I grew up watching, and I think it looks better.They could modernize it too.  As well as being iconic from the past and having history, and seeing the team turn into something for the first time and be good with Pavel Bure and Linden go to the finals and be 1 goal post away from the cup... so close Gelinas! The orca has history too I suppose.. at least Ill be happy if they continue to use retro Jersey, hopefully more often.

Simple still has to actually be good. The V was not.

Hell, I'm not even sure it qualifies as a logo/crest. More of an incomplete, jersey design, that didn't have a logo/crest :lol:

58 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Simple still has to actually be good. The V was not.

Hell, I'm not even sure it qualifies as a logo/crest. More of an incomplete, jersey design, that didn't have a logo/crest :lol:

I liked them.  They were certainly unique with the actual logo on the arms and the front just the striping, making a V for Vancouver.

Even better with Gary Bromley in them.

234653a5c1f8e14e3f318b8c3e477783.jpg

cut.jpg

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, TheNewGM said:

Simple = best would be our old giant  V  ...

I like the colors and spaghetti logo cause its what I grew up watching, and I think it looks better.They could modernize it too.  As well as being iconic from the past and having history, and seeing the team turn into something for the first time and be good with Pavel Bure and Linden go to the finals and be 1 goal post away from the cup... so close Gelinas! The orca has history too I suppose.. at least Ill be happy if they continue to use retro Jersey, hopefully more often.

The first time team turned into something with the spaghetti logo was 1982 when they went to the Cup final with it on their arms.  They made it to the final twice with that logo.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Vintage 1

21 hours ago, tas said:

I'm not talking about the qualities that allegedly make a logo good. how is "goodness" being measured if not by popularity and sales figures?

Just went through a rather annoying Bleacher Report ranking of the top 50 NHL only uniforms all-time.   SIR ranked 38,  Skate 33.... guess what, like every other ranking i've seen so far - the Orca didn't make the cut.    Most teams had one in there somewhere, quite a few several - at least we were one of those with 2 solid uniforms.    It's not just the players and the fans - neutral parties as well.    But again i get it.   Especially for fans who were young when it first came out.    It's what your used too.   Right now i've accepted it, but sure would love to see us wear the Skate more often - and even play some games in the V that would awesome too.    Even one or two games with the WCE one ... 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

Just went through a rather annoying Bleacher Report ranking of the top 50 NHL only uniforms all-time.   SIR ranked 38,  Skate 33.... guess what, like every other ranking i've seen so far - the Orca didn't make the cut.    Most teams had one in there somewhere, quite a few several - at least we were one of those with 2 solid uniforms.    It's not just the players and the fans - neutral parties as well.    But again i get it.   Especially for fans who were young when it first came out.    It's what your used too.   Right now i've accepted it, but sure would love to see us wear the Skate more often - and even play some games in the V that would awesome too.    Even one or two games with the WCE one ... 

what does a bleacher report opinion piece mean to anyone? my opinion is as valid as theirs. 

i also grew up with the skate but acknowledge it is a hideous logo. lots of nostalgia and history and warm and fuzzies, but objectively just awful. 

Edited by tas
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

6 hours ago, IBatch said:

Just went through a rather annoying Bleacher Report ranking of the top 50 NHL only uniforms all-time.   SIR ranked 38,  Skate 33.... guess what, like every other ranking i've seen so far - the Orca didn't make the cut.   

This is most compelling reason to keep the Orca yet...  The Bleacher Report?  :lol:

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, tas said:

what does a bleacher report opinion piece mean to anyone? my opinion is as valid as theirs. 

i also grew up with the skate but acknowledge it is a hideous logo. lots of nostalgia and history and warm and fuzzies, but objectively just awful. 

Objectively or subjectively? :P 

Just messing with ya :lol:

Both it and the orca have a couple things going for them. Both convey motion well, the skate probably better. The skate also has it's classically "intimidating" colour scheme.

Beyond that that though, yeah, they're kind of a hot mess lol.

Makes you wonder what a less busy, simplified version of the skate might look like...

Edited by aGENT

On 3/2/2022 at 7:44 AM, aGENT said:

Again, it's still their most popular, most iconic and highest regarded amongst professional designers, logo. 

I never said it was their current logo. It's their best logo though.

The discussion is what makes a good logo, not a current one.

The truth is there's actually nothing particularly special about the Yankees NY logo. The reason it's iconic is hgow long it's been around combined with the success and history of the franchise. How long a logo is used is the primary reason in becoming iconic.Nothing specific in design makes a good logo or leads to iconic stature. The Red Wings logo is iconic and considered among the best in the NHL. The Blackhawks was widely regarded as the best in the NHL but has fallen from grace with political correctness. Neither is simple and boring. The hawks logo was never among my favorites even when there were only six teams. I always thought the Wings logo was the best of the original six even though I've never been a fan of the team. Time has more to do with iconic status than anything else. In the end beauty is still in the eye of the beholder. 

On 3/3/2022 at 11:02 AM, Tiger-Hearted said:

I've dealt with him numerous times. There are 2 groups of fans....1. Canucks Hockey supporters and 2. Orca supporters. Baggins is the latter. He claimed many times that the first Canucks jersey he ever bought was the Orca. His take that the "Canucks are not the Stick in Rinks nor the Skates" is beyond stupid and ridiculous.

I can't help saying that in response your "beyond stupid" statement we are not the Orcas. You can't praise one image that forms a C for not representing the team name while condemning another image that forms a C for not representing the team name. Which you do constantly. So it's just more....

Blah.gif.0c98fa6bae717941d679db147be27704.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

On 2/25/2022 at 4:35 PM, TheNewGM said:

Looks amazing out there.

Could be the motivation this team needs to turn into a new team!.

bring back the black!@

I personally think that the black skate jersey is the nicest jersey in hockey and I can't believe that we haven't gone back to it yet.  The color scheme is just so good.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

On 3/4/2022 at 1:18 PM, tas said:

Means more to me then one fan who's a Canuck fan too.   If you prefer - i can again say THN didn't like it either.   The panel of professional designers they hired that is.   Find me something out there that ranks the Orca higher that is equally meaningful and i will read it too. 

• Cheers 3

On 3/5/2022 at 12:54 PM, IBatch said:

Means more to me then one fan who's a Canuck fan too.   If you prefer - i can again say THN didn't like it either.   The panel of professional designers they hired that is.   Find me something out there that ranks the Orca higher that is equally meaningful and i will read it too. 

• Cheers 1

On 3/5/2022 at 12:54 PM, IBatch said:

I don't know. I kind of look at all of these rankings as also a hockey fan making an article and sharing their opinion not unlike what I read on these forums. The only difference is it being in article form.

I actually prefer the orca to the skate, but I do understand there's a history behind the orca that some people hate. Then again, I've never really liked the skate as a logo, but I also have never really liked the Oilers logo either which I deem as being somewhat similar in a way (perhaps just that 70's/80's text stuff or something?). That's just my opinion.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1

13 hours ago, Baggins said:

At least he started with it by saying this isn't what SN agrees on....He should have it out completely and went with the home jersey from the early 90's 

Edit:  I do agree that the gradient red ones were bad. 

Edited by IBatch

13 hours ago, The Lock said:

I don't know. I kind of look at all of these rankings as also a hockey fan making an article and sharing their opinion not unlike what I read on these forums. The only difference is it being in article form.

I actually prefer the orca to the skate, but I do understand there's a history behind the orca that some people hate. Then again, I've never really liked the skate as a logo, but I also have never really liked the Oilers logo either which I deem as being somewhat similar in a way (perhaps just that 70's/80's text stuff or something?). That's just my opinion.

To me at least, we had the perfect uniform in the early 90's and then lost it later on.    It respected the V which was better then most Orca ones - although at least they made step on that front (and won't include the current version) .... seeing our current team wearing the black ... well i agree with Miller "we should make this for all the home games"   ... it's just better. 

8 hours ago, IBatch said:

At least he started with it by saying this isn't what SN agrees on....He should have it out completely and went with the home jersey from the early 90's 

Edit:  I do agree that the gradient red ones were bad. 

It just goes to show what I've said all along - everybody has different taste and there will never be agreement. Those who want something else will always make noise about regardless of what it used. That's a drawback to completely changing the logo rather than just tweeking from time to time. The end of this video says it all.... "Maybe you like the gradient red, and you're wrong. You're wrong!" This is excactly what you and others are saying - if you don't like what I like, you're wrong. Nobody is actually wrong, including you. We all simply have different taste in what we like. Making it a no win situation for the owner.

I'll add this, the guy is right about the SiR logo. The C is more obvious in the updated version than the original because the gap is larger. It does look better than the original. But much like the skate logo, I think they're better on the shoulder than as the primary. On the shoulder the skate was fine, but blown up it's just busy and hard on the eyes.

• Cheers 2

Here's a question: When you buy a shirt, hat, or jersey, what do you get?

I don't own much Canucks apparel, but I have a signed Petey designed hat (Vancouver Millionaires V) and a SiR vintage-style hat. I also have a whale jersey that was given to me for a wedding present years ago, but I would never have bought it myself. My next jersey will be the black skate. 

I just don't see any apparel with the whale that I would want to purchase. Am I alone in this? 

• Cheers 2

14 hours ago, Baggins said:

It just goes to show what I've said all along - everybody has different taste and there will never be agreement. Those who want something else will always make noise about regardless of what it used. That's a drawback to completely changing the logo rather than just tweeking from time to time. The end of this video says it all.... "Maybe you like the gradient red, and you're wrong. You're wrong!" This is excactly what you and others are saying - if you don't like what I like, you're wrong. Nobody is actually wrong, including you. We all simply have different taste in what we like. Making it a no win situation for the owner.

I'll add this, the guy is right about the SiR logo. The C is more obvious in the updated version than the original because the gap is larger. It does look better than the original. But much like the skate logo, I think they're better on the shoulder than as the primary. On the shoulder the skate was fine, but blown up it's just busy and hard on the eyes.

Eye of the beholder and all of that for sure.    The problem with compromise, when you get it significantly wrong and the vast majority (in this case around double) of the fans prefer something else it makes it something that won't disappear quickly.   It's been decades now and it's still a subject.    25 or so years of making new fans, and 14 of those years including the most wins in club history (regular season ones anyways).     For sure the uniforms from your youth (10-20 or so) have nostalgia attached to them.   As you get older it's hard to remember clearly much before grade 4-5 lol.    For me personally i actually prefer the White Skate to the Blacks (like them both the most obviously) in part because back then TV's were small, and it wasn't easy to see the numbers on the Blacks, plus it was our home jersey back then and with the negative space the numbers popped on the Whites.    Both were Boss like.   Actually liked his analysis other then just pumping the 50th anniversary ones, i'd have rather him have in the top five the peak Sedin ones...but that's ok.   Get the Orca is here to stay, without something drastic happening like whenever we wear the black ones we win every time, or an ownership change or management change that actually pays enough attention to what the majority would like to see.    I'd be happy to see the Blacks come back as our third jersey - and at least a couple times, see the whites on the road again.  

• Cheers 2