The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Halak or Martin?

Rate this topic

iceman64

Simple enough question but the answer? Not so much, Halak has played great in the past BUT at his age do you write him off? Try to get your money's worth OR give Martin another shot to see if he's legit over more than a tiny sample size? 

Martin seems to be ahead of Mikey D but haven't watched any games in Abby to know for sure BUT at any rate, I think I'd give Martin a shot but that's just me.

• Cheers 1

we can't bring martin up unless you are planning on playing with either 0 extra defenseman or 0 extra forward we currently have 13 forward 14 with dickinson injured and 7 defenseman.. if 1 or more guy get injured then we wouldn't even be able to call anyone up if they are not IR eligible.. nor can we send martin down as he's waiver eligible. Martin ain't coming up this year unless Halak magically waives his NMC and a team takes him both unlikely.. so end of discussion

• Cheers 1
  • Sad 2

7 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

Simple enough question but the answer? Not so much, Halak has played great in the past BUT at his age do you write him off? Try to get your money's worth OR give Martin another shot to see if he's legit over more than a tiny sample size? 

Martin seems to be ahead of Mikey D but haven't watched any games in Abby to know for sure BUT at any rate, I think I'd give Martin a shot but that's just me.

Is it worth bothering at this point? Halak plays every few weeks. His NMC means he stays on the active roster and needing to send either a D or forward to the minors to bring Martin up. Fine at home but could be a problem on the road. Or leave it and let Martin play a lot in Abby rather than mainly sitting on the bench watching games for the rest of the season. Martin is a UFA at the end of the season as well. Do you want to up his value and/or attract competitors to sign him?

On the other hand, if the team keeps slipping into the coasting way they played in NJ it doesn't matter much who is in goal. About 5-6 minutes into the game I said to my buddy, they sure aren't playing like they did against the Rangers. I get it was a back to back, but at least start the game playing hard and applying pressure. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

55 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

we can't bring martin up unless you are planning on playing with either 0 extra defenseman or 0 extra forward we currently have 13 forward 14 with dickinson injured and 7 defenseman.. if 1 or more guy get injured then we wouldn't even be able to call anyone up if they are not IR eligible.. nor can we send martin down as he's waiver eligible. Martin ain't coming up this year unless Halak magically waives his NMC and a team takes him both unlikely.. so end of discussion

Well I should have added IF it was "possible" as a viable choice? Some might argue Mikey plays a great game when he's on but it's sporadic, but hasn't had much of a taste yet of the big show to know but Martin seemed a lot more confident... 

I dont have faith in Martin (just a gut feeling it wouldn't take much for him to crash) we need to think about drafting goalies. I dont know much about Silovs but the others i dont have faith in. MDP's future is questionable, martin long term isnt the answer. If Demko gets injured we could be screwed. As far as Im concerned we have a backup problem going into next year.    

If we are out of the playoff race then if there's a way we could give martin a bigger sample of games id be down for that.

9 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

I dont have faith in Martin (just a gut feeling it wouldn't take much for him to crash) we need to think about drafting goalies. I dont know much about Silovs but the others i dont have faith in. MDP's future is questionable, martin long term isnt the answer. If Demko gets injured we could be screwed. As far as Im concerned we have a backup problem going into next year.    

If we are out of the playoff race then if there's a way we could give martin a bigger sample of games id be down for that.

don't forget tho Martin was a skilled prospect that stumbled when Colorado rushed him. He is a pretty safe bet as a reclamation project under Ian Clark, he's got the size and skill needed now for goalies. Mikey has a big heart, but he's too 'lil for todays game. 

• Cheers 2

58 minutes ago, JM_ said:

It'll probably be Halak until the trade deadline decision happens, after that carrying 12 Fs  to bring up Martin is more likely if Halak refuses to waive. 

Most teams should have a guy in their system already on much cheaper contracts that could provide them with the service that Halak is for us right now (including us), I would think you'd have to add someone now for a team just to take him, as his value and a playoff teams faith in him may have dropped too low to move?

44 minutes ago, JM_ said:

don't forget tho Martin was a skilled prospect that stumbled when Colorado rushed him. He is a pretty safe bet as a reclamation project under Ian Clark, he's got the size and skill needed now for goalies. Mikey has a big heart, but he's too 'lil for todays game. 

Your right on mdp     like I said with Martin...just a gut feeling. But he does deserve more of a chance to see what he can do.

But I would still like to see us keeping our eyes open at the draft for a goalie.  It's the most important position.   Your screwed if you have a lousy goalie . 

7 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

Your right on mdp     like I said with Martin...just a gut feeling. But he does deserve more of a chance to see what he can do.

But I would still like to see us keeping our eyes open at the draft for a goalie.  It's the most important position.   Your screwed if you have a lousy goalie . 

Don't underrate Silovs. 

He was supposed to start ahead of Mikey but he got Covid as well. 

1. Spencer Martin 

2. Silovs 

3. DiPietro 

IMO. 

7 hours ago, Baggins said:

Is it worth bothering at this point? Halak plays every few weeks. His NMC means he stays on the active roster and needing to send either a D or forward to the minors to bring Martin up. Fine at home but could be a problem on the road. Or leave it and let Martin play a lot in Abby rather than mainly sitting on the bench watching games for the rest of the season. Martin is a UFA at the end of the season as well. Do you want to up his value and/or attract competitors to sign him?

On the other hand, if the team keeps slipping into the coasting way they played in NJ it doesn't matter much who is in goal. About 5-6 minutes into the game I said to my buddy, they sure aren't playing like they did against the Rangers. I get it was a back to back, but at least start the game playing hard and applying pressure. 

Exactly it literally doesn't matter. No one wants Halak, he has an NMC, he's not going anywhere, and it wouldn't matter if he did. It's a ho-hum thing.

Edited by Gawdzukes

52 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Most teams should have a guy in their system already on much cheaper contracts that could provide them with the service that Halak is for us right now (including us), I would think you'd have to add someone now for a team just to take him, as his value and a playoff teams faith in him may have dropped too low to move?

we probably do have to add, alt this point.

• Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

oh for sure, I'm all for picking up a goalie in the 2nd round this year if there's a stud out there.