The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at New York Islanders | Mar. 03, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

42 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Although games like NJ and seeing BB completely befuddled at how the team didn't show up is pretty telling as to how the team was coached prior and that the bad habits are tough to break. 

Lol, you're funny Jay. The team didn't show up to play on March 1 is telling of how the team was coached from October to Dec 6. Okalee dokalee. :lol:

59 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Brock yes Petey and quinn not so sure.  

Petey and Quinn are much more valuable under BB than TG. 

Pete started ice cold and now has 26 pts in 31 games under BB. He may finish the season at a pt/ game or better player under BB while he has never reached a pt/game under TG. 

What is significant is that he kills penalties now and leads the team in SH goals with 2.

Same with Quinn. A much more complete player and not a liability on defense. 

We see the same with multiple players flourishing like our 4th line and the rest of our lineup. 

I hated guys like Highmore, Lammiko, Schenn. 

Our 4th line looks completely different under BB. 

So does Schenn. 

They've made me eat my words to understand that they weren't crappy players. The way they were deployed was crappy under TG. 

Well until EP beats his rookie season ... which i think will happen - we haven't seen anything like the first 2.5 months until Matheson took him out and then Too Many Vowels since really.   His second season was decent too.    Last year was injury related i'm pretty sure.   Not like Green didn't use him and Brock right away - they didn't work their way up the lineup like Horvat had too.   Horvat also had his best season under Green - with Brock.    Just saying Green gets a little too much flak - yes glad he's gone Bruce is awesome and super affable.   

42 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Although games like NJ and seeing BB completely befuddled at how the team didn't show up is pretty telling as to how the team was coached prior and that the bad habits are tough to break. 

Boeser said in his interview last night the difference is that the team is working harder... Like what the hell is that? He caught himself to say that, it's not like the team wasnt working hard before but now they are working harder... Lol the only way i interpret that was that the team wasn't giving it their all under Green but there was no accountability so it instilled bad habits that they are still trying to break. 

I went back and looked up all the no show games under TG vs BB. 

Canucks no showed in 8-9 games out of 25 under TG. Thats approximately 1 no show per every 3 games. I mean no show not as in losing a game but as in unprepared to play and losing to a team they should beat or getring blown out by a better team. 

Under BB, it was 3 out of 31.

Thats 1 in 10 games where the team puts up a dud. 

We're getting a lot more consistent but BB is pushing all the right buttons. 

That loss to NJ came after 3 wins in a row including kicking the crap out of Cgy. Previously, we might hear something like, "we've been playing some good hockey and didn't show up prepared to play today. We'll chalk it up and get ready for next game " those were honestly the type of crap we were hearing postgame. 

BB was so frustrated postgame. He was talking about all the meetings, prepwork, pregame talk. This is a culture change folks. 

Previous staff was ok with mediocrity. 

Im glad we have JR and BB and the redt of the new exec team. 

They have no ties to any of the players. 

If they dont see hunger and a will to win, they will ship them out. Thats the only way we'll get better. 

The way I interpret that comment is that Boudreau's style of hard forechecking and pressure in all 3 zones requires more work and coordination between the forwards. For example, there's no point if one forward is working his a$$ off to put pressure the puck carrier if the other two forwards aren't tracking their guys closely. The style is more effective but also taxing on the body.

That's why I wasn't as surprised or disappointed with the loss against the Devils. Playing that style of hockey for full 60 minutes is already very challenging, and having to play it again less than 24 hours later is extremely difficult even for highly conditioned athletes. The only way we were going to win the Devils game was if our goalie kept us in it and win it 2-1. 

Looking at other sports like soccer and football, they get 1 week off between the games for the players to rest. Hockey is way more physical of a sport than soccer and probably on par/slightly less physical than football... there are too many games in my opinion. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Lol, you're funny Jay. The team didn't show up to play on March 1 is telling of how the team was coached from October to Dec 6. Okalee dokalee. :lol:

They call bad habits habits for a reason lol. 

Weren't you perplexed to hear Boeser say that they are working harder now than before? 

Also would you agree that the team is playing more consistent since the coaching change? 

You can pretty much tell how this team is gonna play in the first 5 minutes and it starts with their forecheck.

Boudreau gets that the forecheck is the key to every good team. And the importance of a fourth line that can set the tone can’t be understated. It’s contagious.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

Motte. We need to re-sign this guy. He is a non stop high motor guy that wins all his battles. These are the guys you win with. It's not a miracle that the 4th line has been amazing since he came back and joined Lammiko and Highmore. I hope management sees how valuable he is. It's pretty clear to me. Letting him go would be a huge mistake and a step back from the type of team we are trying to build. 

Quinn played outstanding. There was a defensive series where he got in multiple board battles in sequence and he won. I think his contract is a steal. 

Now the sad part. Im a Boeser fan. I feel for him. Listening to postgame interview and Farhan basically talked about how covid break affected him more than others. He was on fire before the break and now is struggling. Boeser's facial expression made me a little sad watching. He was talking about how he knows his role is to score and he needs to do that....

At this point, he is not worth his qualifying offer. Problem is, when he is going, he definitely is worth the price. 

He doesnt fit JR's vision of a fast skating team... 

I think his days are numbered... 

I agree Motte is a hell of a player. I was ecstatic when the trade first happened. One of the few actually. It depends what his future plan is. I think he likes Van and probably appreciates the chance he's been given here. The hopes are we would sign a good deal but he might be playing so well we can't afford him. As far as Boeser I agree there too. He doesn't do a heck of a lot out there if someone isn't setting him up for goals. It's too bad I have seen him play pretty tough and I think he is capable of adding that but he doesn't work hard enough out there. A little too complacent as a personality maybe. 

35 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

They call bad habits habits for a reason lol. 

Weren't you perplexed to hear Boeser say that they are working harder now than before? 

Also would you agree that the team is playing more consistent since the coaching change? 

I would say they're working harder. I'm not perplexed at all by BB's statement. It's a credit to both the coaches and the players. I wouldn't be crediting the Rangers win to Green either so I just think it's kind of funny how you give Boudreau 100% credit for anything good and any little thing that goes wrong is still somehow Green's fault. I don't really care about Green he's so far in my rearview mirror. You can only contribute bad habits to an old coach for so long, or you also have to give him credit for our success as well. I think BB is great but I'm not going to pretend he's infallible or doesn't have shortcomings or doesn't share any responsibility though.

Edited by Gawdzukes

27 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

You can pretty much tell how this team is gonna play in the first 5 minutes and it starts with their forecheck.

Boudreau gets that the forecheck is the key to every good team. And the importance of a fourth line that can set the tone can’t be understated. It’s contagious.

Yes it is.  Bruce "there it is!"  ... Motte's line sure isn't like starting fourth lines back in 2014 or before is it these days?  Best bottom six we've had in a long time.  Also what many thought at the start of the season we'd outscore the crap out of our opposition...including me to a degree.  11 guys that can score 15 plus goals a year is a good forward group. 

11 minutes ago, Muttley said:

Rick just said on his show, 10min. ago, it looks very positive on getting an extension done with JT.

Brock Boeser may be somewhat harder, much may depend on the rest of the season and a willingness 

to be flexible.

The good thing is I think these players see what management and Bruce are building and wanna be a part of it more now than they did had it still been Benning and Green.

Whether that means leaving a bit of money on the table remains to be seen. If Boeser os willing to sign a reasonable extension this summer I’m all for it. He really needs to just work on his skating this summer and have a full season under Boudreau.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

Boeser said in his interview last night the difference is that the team is working harder... Like what the hell is that? He caught himself to say that, it's not like the team wasnt working hard before but now they are working harder... Lol the only way i interpret that was that the team wasn't giving it their all under Green but there was no accountability so it instilled bad habits that they are still trying to break. 

I went back and looked up all the no show games under TG vs BB. 

Canucks no showed in 8-9 games out of 25 under TG. Thats approximately 1 no show per every 3 games. I mean no show not as in losing a game but as in unprepared to play and losing to a team they should beat or getring blown out by a better team. 

Under BB, it was 3 out of 31.

Thats 1 in 10 games where the team puts up a dud. 

We're getting a lot more consistent but BB is pushing all the right buttons. 

That loss to NJ came after 3 wins in a row including kicking the crap out of Cgy. Previously, we might hear something like, "we've been playing some good hockey and didn't show up prepared to play today. We'll chalk it up and get ready for next game " those were honestly the type of crap we were hearing postgame. 

BB was so frustrated postgame. He was talking about all the meetings, prepwork, pregame talk. This is a culture change folks. 

Previous staff was ok with mediocrity. 

Im glad we have JR and BB and the redt of the new exec team. 

They have no ties to any of the players. 

If they dont see hunger and a will to win, they will ship them out. Thats the only way we'll get better. 

I believe that happens, guys get in a rut like every job. Regardless of the money. So much distraction outside of the game. The compete levels waver true, but it has to monitored and I think Coach B has a handle on it. Some drills seem to be 1st period drills. 

He knows how to roust players stuck in a rut. And the 4th line is a great example. But I would like a couple more bangers in the line up. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

The good thing is I think these players see what management and Bruce are building and wanna be a part of it more now than they did had it still been Benning and Green.

Whether that means leaving a bit of money on the table remains to be seen. If Boeser os willing to sign a reasonable extension this summer I’m all for it. He really needs to just work on his skating this summer and have a full season under Boudreau.

Yeah if Boeser is willing to work with the team in terms of salary, i think he could be good value in the future. 

He would have to train the hardest hes ever trained so far though in terms of skating. 

How willing would he be after signing for a discount unless its a one year show me deal. 

12 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Yeah if Boeser is willing to work with the team in terms of salary, i think he could be good value in the future. 

He would have to train the hardest hes ever trained so far though in terms of skating. 

How willing would he be after signing for a discount unless its a one year show me deal. 

I mean they have to ask if he’s a player that wants to be the best player possible or not.

I don’t really know his off ice habits or how hard he works in the gym. Important thing to consider when deciding whether they want him to be a core player or not.

3 hours ago, rychicken said:

Yep..according to some here, the last time the Canucks took a legitimate penalty was March 1974

Literally one of the cringiest things about the GDT’s is the bitching about the refs. Reminds of the hockey parents who ride the 14 year old reffing their 7 year olds. 

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

This is a great stat to see. Bouncing back after losses is exactly the type of $&!# that gets you into the playoffs.