The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Olli Juolevi (claimed by Red Wings)

49 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Bracket took over in 2017, didn't he?  What year was Petey drafted?  Isn't that when Linden stepped in and went with the Scouts' choice instead of the Benning Choice (Glass)?

No GM should be scouting payers and then overruling his scouts.  The scouts spend 1000's of hours evaluating, and the GM just can't do that.  So Benning might have been, at one time, an excellent scout, but he didn't have the time to be one while being a GM.  

This is why Benning took OJ.  He watched him for one tournament.  Not a true evaluation over a prolonged period.  And it's why Linden stepped in the next draft when Benning tried to do the same thing and overrule his scouts and take Glass over Petey.  

My story might be mixed up but didn't the Oilers scouting department wanted Murray over Yakupov? So I guess someone in the Oilers organization overrode their scouting department's decision

52 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Bracket took over in 2017, didn't he?  What year was Petey drafted?  Isn't that when Linden stepped in and went with the Scouts' choice instead of the Benning Choice (Glass)?

No GM should be scouting payers and then overruling his scouts.  The scouts spend 1000's of hours evaluating, and the GM just can't do that.  So Benning might have been, at one time, an excellent scout, but he didn't have the time to be one while being a GM.  

This is why Benning took OJ.  He watched him for one tournament.  Not a true evaluation over a prolonged period.  And it's why Linden stepped in the next draft when Benning tried to do the same thing and overrule his scouts and take Glass over Petey.  

Ummm I don't think thats how it went. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Lammi is a huge win for us!  And Juulson can develop his game to where he can be a steady bottom pairing guy.  

or Juulson will be a useful defenseman who goes up and down via waivers just like Oli

1 minute ago, iinatcc said:

My story might be mixed up but didn't the Oilers scouting department wanted Murray over Yakupov? So I guess someone in the Oilers organization overrode their scouting department's decision

Don't know about the Oilers.  Sounds similar. 

13 minutes ago, hammertime said:

So why you spreading fake news.

JB was all aboard the Petey train. 

Nice guy, but not fake news.  Benning wanted Glass.  This is a Canuck's produced video.  The dust up, when Linden steps in, was in the meetings.  I believe it was reported by Botchford. (RIP)  This is the point when Bracket takes over the draft.  Until he asks for more autonomy and gets let go.

Linden: "Giving people autonomy in whatever department, player development, amateur/pro scouting – trusting those people you have in those positions is very important. (1/2)"
"Linden cont'd: Drafting Pettersson was an interesting situation, it wasn’t just Judd it was other amateur scouts that felt very strongly that Elias was our guy and it was important to me to give those guys the autonomy to make the pick. (2/2)"

Reported from 650.

Edited by Alflives
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Maybe OJ needs the Boudreau bump?

Still think OJ has the IQ/vision that Benning saw in him, but dedication needed to being an elite athlete has been his struggle.  Sounds crazy but I could totally see him being a Luke Schenn type if he can put his head down and grind.  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, tas said:

there should be a lot of people around here offering up mea culpas through mouthfuls of crow, but it's weirdly quiet on that front. 

just like always. 

So Canuck fans, who support their prospects and young players, should apologize for doing so?  And to those who cheer against by hoping for our young players to fail?

• Cheers 3

Just now, Alflives said:

So Canuck fans, who support their prospects and young players, should apologize for doing so?  And to those who cheer against by hoping for our young players to fail?

not at all. they should apologize for flaying management and screaming about how they have no idea what they're doing. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, tas said:

not at all. they should apologize for flaying management and screaming about how they have no idea what they're doing. 

that's a given, isn't it?  

Alf apologizes to all.  He knows less than the professionals, who are the managers of NHL teams, and those who work for them. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stanleysteamersmyl said:

JT Miller for a 1st round pick?

JT Miller for the 20th pick was a huge steal for JB.  And OEL, Garland (and three dumperoos) for a busatroo bonsai in Guenther (not as good as Klim) was an even bigger steal.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1