The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Olli Juolevi (claimed by Red Wings)

… he had that one nice hit on Tkuckuk though. 

What a disappointment. Canucks already showed a boatload of patience with him through injuries and he still had very little to offer. Oh well. 

Benning was a scouting genius!!!

…also, a 5th and 6th overall pick he made have both hit the waiver wire as complete busts.

When a GM’s best attribute by far is his scouting chops… grading out as only a slightly above average drafting record looks pretty ugly.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rekker said:

But the million dollar question EP. Do you want him back on the team?

I still have a hard time believing he can’t stick on a team. I thought his size and vision would be enough to keep him on a roster as a dependable 2 way 2nd pairing type of guy. Maybe that was just blind hope as he was a Canuck pick.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Provost said:

…also, a 5th and 6th overall pick he made have both hit the waiver wire as complete busts.

When a GM’s best attribute by far is his scouting chops… grading out as only a slightly above average drafting record looks pretty ugly.

When a GM says he's a great scout and will scout the picks that's a GM to stay away from.  That's not his job, nor should it be.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

Wasn't Judd Brackett responsible for all of the drafting?  That's what somebody told me.  Or was Brackett only responsible for the good picks like Petey, Hughes and Demko?

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

If we claimed him, we'd have to keep him in Vancouver or send him down, at which point, he'd require waivers again. He's not an NHL level defenseman, so he might just go all the way through.

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Wasn't Judd Brackett responsible for all of the drafting?  That's what somebody told me.  Or was Brackett only responsible for the good picks like Petey, Hughes and Demko?

Bracket took over in 2017, didn't he?  What year was Petey drafted?  Isn't that when Linden stepped in and went with the Scouts' choice instead of the Benning Choice (Glass)?

No GM should be scouting payers and then overruling his scouts.  The scouts spend 1000's of hours evaluating, and the GM just can't do that.  So Benning might have been, at one time, an excellent scout, but he didn't have the time to be one while being a GM.  

This is why Benning took OJ.  He watched him for one tournament.  Not a true evaluation over a prolonged period.  And it's why Linden stepped in the next draft when Benning tried to do the same thing and overrule his scouts and take Glass over Petey.  

• Vintage 1

35 minutes ago, Provost said:

He actually got way better toward the end of his tenure.  His first 1/2 he made some very questionable trades and signings, and a couple of huge draft busts.  Later on, he got us Petterson, Hughes, and his trading and free agent signings improved drastically (Miller, garland, OEL, the OJ trade)

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, AlphaNuck said:

Damn, i developed him on NHL22 to a top 4 86 over all 

what did I do that travis and jim couldn’t. 

#available for hire 

That's nothing. He won the Calder and the Norris in my NHL 18 franchise mode.

But to answer your question, Travis and Jim didn't have the benefit of rookie difficulty.

48 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I wonder what the folks that were so adamant on having Juolevi in the lineup over Rathbone to start the season for, among other things, the sake of "asset management" are thinking about this?

Rathbone wasn't good enough for the NHL either. So, the best outcome was to trade OJ for a player that we can use, which is what happened. If no such trade were available immediately, doing a bit of asset management and keeping him with the big club was the next best thing.

Losing him on the waivers = no Lammikko.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1