The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Sharks re-sign Tomas Hertl

17 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We trade him for a guy who will in 3 or 4 years (hopefully) become close to as good as Miller is now.  Who out there could actually become that guy?  He would have to grow into a top 5 player in the league.  Hmmm.  I think we should keep Miller, because the  names mentioned in rumour (Lafreniere etc) ain't never gonna be Miller. 

On a tangent - saw a stat that since coming into the league, Lafreniere has more even strength goals than any other Ranger, including Kreider. Hard to believe.

Edited by RWJC
  • Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

the thing for me is, we don't even know if we can afford to clear off the mediocre cap hits JB left us. I just don't want to move Miller AND have that inefficient cap too. 

Depends on whether we're ready to ante up 

Dickinson and Poolman are likely the only pieces we'd have to pay to move imo, the others should be serviceable til they expire or be movable 

Just now, Coconuts said:

Depends on whether we're ready to ante up 

Dickinson and Poolman are likely the only pieces we'd have to pay to move imo, the others should be serviceable til they expire or be movable 

I'd give up Hoglander if AZ took both those contracts. 

25 minutes ago, RWJC said:

aho, kotkaniemi 

…but I guess I imagined those.

sure. so tell me which teams have the cap space, need, fit, and would be a place that brock would like to play. your hypothetical is meaningless if there aren't teams that fit the requisite criteria. just saying it's hypothetically possible doesn't mean there's a realistic chance it's going to happen. 

Just now, tas said:

sure. so tell me which teams have the cap space, need, fit, and would be a place that brock would like to play. your hypothetical is meaningless if there aren't teams that fit the requisite criteria. just saying it's hypothetically possible doesn't mean there's a realistic chance it's going to happen. 

Relax

30 minutes ago, JM_ said:

But whats the actual plan to replace him if we don't re-sign him? 

You don't just "replace" Miller. 

You move him to help fill our plentiful other current and upcoming holes at 1RD, 2RD, 3LD, 3C, LW etc with younger, cheaper, faster players than we currently have in those spots now. You do that, while clearing cap so that you have the opportunity to trade for the "next Miller" when he becomes available, and better fits with our core's window instead of paying $9m for a 3rd liner, in the meat of that window.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, RWJC said:

On a tangent - saw a stat that since coming into the league, Lafreniere has more even strength goals than any other Ranger, including Kreider. Hard to believe.

trust your instincts. kreider has 26, lafreniere 25. though I guess it could have potentially been accurate depending when it was published. 

Just now, tas said:

I'm good, thanks. 

K good.

It is a hypothetical, especially as there is a trade deadline approaching where teams will alleviate themselves of cap. There’s also a draft and an offseason for this as well where teams address and restructure. As such, it’s kind of hard to predict who might be a suitor, but one that comes to mind whom could be a possibility would be SEA. Not saying it’s following the course of their progression as a franchise, but they did make some interesting moves, especially in signing a UFA like Grubauer. 

There is always the possibility. 
There’s also quite the history of offer sheets in NHL so for you to say it’s never going to happen is contrary to the potential of reality.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NHL_players_who_have_signed_offer_sheets

Just now, RWJC said:

K good.

It is a hypothetical, especially as there is a trade deadline approaching where teams will alleviate themselves of cap. There’s also a draft and an offseason for this as well where teams address and restructure. As such, it’s kind of hard to predict who might be a suitor, but one that comes to mind whom could be a possibility would be SEA. Not saying it’s following the course of their progression as a franchise, but they did make some interesting moves, especially in signing a UFA like Grubauer. 

There is always the possibility. 
There’s also quite the history of offer sheets in NHL so for you to say it’s never going to happen is contrary to the potential of reality.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NHL_players_who_have_signed_offer_sheets

in this specific instance, I don't think there's a team that's going to offer brock $7 5 mil +, especially a competitive team, and I don't see brock being interested in signing with a bottom feeder. what's happened in the past with other players is irrelevant.

3 minutes ago, tas said:

in this specific instance, I don't think there's a team that's going to offer brock $7 5 mil +, especially a competitive team, and I don't see brock being interested in signing with a bottom feeder. what's happened in the past with other players is irrelevant.

Beg to differ. What has happened with other players is irrelevant.
What’s not is that the option to offer sheet exists, and for this very reason I keep an open mind.

There hasn’t been an agreement signed yet between Brock and the team that we are aware of, and although I doubt it would get to an offer sheet scenario, I’m just stating it’s a possibility. Which it is, regardless of what we think might happen.

that fair?

3 hours ago, Provost said:

Well that makes it difficult for the folks thinking that Miller could be had for $7.5 million x 6 years.

The only thing Hertl has going for him is he is a year and a half younger than what Miller would be when his extension would kick in.

By every other meaningful metric, Miller blows him out of the water.  Nobody in the league takes Hertl over Miller for the same contract number.

Miller is for sure at least a $9 million dollar player on  a long term contract.  On the other side, with Hertl off the market… Miller’s trade value now and in the offseason just blew up even more.

Could you imagine a world where we make the playoffs, win a round or two, Miller keeps playing at his monster pace as a playoff hero?  Suddenly, if he doesn’t extend with us, a team could be given permission to have extension talks and our trade return dwarves even the most optimistic packages that are out there now.

We get the best of both worlds.

Dare to dream.

PS.  Has Kane had an arbitration case yet about his unfair termination?  Shouldn’t the Sharks know they aren’t going to be on the hook for his cap hit before they start spending money?  Or are they spending all their money assuming it forces the league to bail them out if they lose that case and end up owing Kane most of the salary.

Bet they've already been told they won't face any problems... 

NHL is rotten to the core...

8 minutes ago, tas said:

2 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Beg to differ. What has happened with other players is irrelevant.
What’s not is that the option to offer sheet exists, and for this very reason I keep an open mind.

There hasn’t been an agreement signed yet between Brock and the team that we are aware of, and although I doubt it would get to an offer sheet scenario, I’m just stating it’s a possibility. Which it is, regardless of what we think might happen.

that fair?

Do either of you remember what you were talking about? :lol:

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, aGENT said:

You don't just "replace" Miller. 

You move him to help fill our plentiful other current and upcoming holes at 1RD, 2RD, 3LD, 3C, LW etc with younger, cheaper, faster players than we currently have in those spots now. You do that, while clearing cap so that you have the opportunity to trade for the "next Miller" when he becomes available, and better fits with our core's window instead of paying $9m for a 3rd liner, in the meat of that window.

I'm not that patient. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I'm not that patient. 

Problem being, you likely have to be more patient, not less, if we retain Miller.

IMO, extending Miller is pretty much a death sentence for this current team. No cap or assets to fill those holes and stagnating and mediocre bubble team until we give up and tear it down, wasting years of the kids windows.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1