The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Detroit Red Wings at Vancouver Canucks | Mar. 17, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

I understand it was a brutal loss, but glad Canucks players don't come in here to read comments. We have a loss against Detroit and people immediately talking about the end of the season and trading players / being sellers. IF Vegas wins, the Canucks will be 3 points out of a Wild card spot. THREE points. 

The real test is the next 7 games of March, where 5 of the 6 teams have better records than us. The only 'easy' team is Buffalo. They play 5 teams who above them in the West standings - Colorado, Calgary, Minnesota, Dallas, and St. Louis. The only team within their grasp are Dallas who are within 3 points. St. Louis is 7 points ahead of us right now, but may be more or less because it's 4 games until we play them.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Pickly said:

Yeah, you’re right about the latter part but imo the Canucks don’t have a single player on the roster nor the system

that exemplifies what Miller brings and means to this team. For those who say Horvat, don’t even start. He doesn’t even move the needle compared to what JT has done for this team the 2.75 years he has been here for. It’s going to be a tough, tough decision that’s all I’m saying and I love JT as he is my type of player but I don’t love paying JT 9+ mill per year.

Agree with you.  So many big decisions to be made.. tough decisions. Also.. I can certainly see the merits of Miller as a mentors it’s what makes this very difficult to project the right path. 

19 minutes ago, 250Integra said:

How is it impossible?? There are crucial 4 point games in there against Vegas and Dallas.

Vegas 3 games
Dallas 2 games

3 home games and 2 away games, you have to win all of them and go 15-5, good luck for that

Just now, AnotherCanucksFan said:

I understand it was a brutal loss, but glad Canucks players don't come in here to read comments. We have a loss against Detroit and people immediately talking about the end of the season and trading players / being sellers. IF Vegas wins, the Canucks will be 3 points out of a Wild card spot. THREE points. 

The real test is the next 7 games of March, where 5 of the 6 teams have better records than us. The only 'easy' team is Buffalo. They play 5 teams who above them in the West standings - Colorado, Calgary, Minnesota, Dallas, and St. Louis. The only team within their grasp are Dallas who are within 3 points. St. Louis is 7 points ahead of us right now, but may be more or less because it's 4 games until we play them.

I think it’s more so with the trade deadline as well. If they continue to lose, our team might be in the sellers market.

The players also know this. Which is why they looked so frustrated and why they were giving all they had. Nights like this happen to all teams. As long as they try, I can’t be too upset. We ran into a hot goalie who stole the game.

If we had a nice cushion and were

looking from a higher spot in the standings, this game would have been totally acceptable. 

• Like 1

Let's face it... It's over!! Time to activate another round of rebuild!! Miller deserves to play on a contending team with his age... Let's hope Allvin/Ruth can maximize returns!! 

Of course I'd be happier seeing our team shed big salaries in Boeser and Myers!! Gonna be a very interesting TDL...  I see us selling at least 3 guys...  That's the only way to go in a proper rebuild... Enough half-assing on our project!! 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

10 minutes ago, Pickly said:

Yeah, you’re right about the latter part but imo the Canucks don’t have a single player on the roster nor the system

that exemplifies what Miller brings and means to this team. For those who say Horvat, don’t even start. He doesn’t even move the needle compared to what JT has done for this team the 2.75 years he has been here for. It’s going to be a tough, tough decision that’s all I’m saying and I love JT as he is my type of player but I don’t love paying JT 9+ mill per year.

You’re right Miller is irreplaceable and we have no one in the system like him. He has to remain, regardless of his contract down the road when he is older.

All the others not named Hughes and Demko should be in play. Even Petey…only problem with this is that Miller might not like seeing his buddies leave the team and choose to leave as well!

You could sense from the 1st period they would lose. I’ve never seen a game where more players fell, or got knocked to the ice than this game. Even a linesman fell. But more Canucks than RWings 

Nothing was going past their goalie nor the wall they put up around him.
Canucks D sucked big tonight. 
Boeser had his worst game ever. 
Petey not shooting when he should. 
If not for Demko this would have need 7-0

Gonna be hard not watching Vancouver throughout the playoffs. When Bruce came aboard I had a bit of hope. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, DJB said:

You could sense from the 1st period they would lose. I’ve never seen a game where more players fell, or got knocked to the ice than this game. Even a linesman fell. But more Canucks than RWings 

Nothing was going past their goalie nor the wall they put up around him.
Canucks D sucked big tonight. 
Boeser had his worst game ever. 
Petey not shooting when he should. 
If not for Demko this would have need 7-0

Gonna be hard not watching Vancouver throughout the playoffs. When Bruce came aboard I had a bit of hope. 

I’m glad at least we did not sign Brock long term. His stats never really tell the story about him being a perimeter player and never a driver of play. I’m so done with this guy.

38 minutes ago, guntrix said:

It’s been a tough last 10 games for OEL. At his contract, dude’s a total anchor. 

The Erikson  replacement has arrived. 

38 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

None of OEL's gaffees cost us. Brock fumbled like 4 grade A chances.

I know it is time to move on but I still don't understand how much support Benning had a lot fans on CDC. The OEL trade was a terrible trade. We were finally near the end of the terrible Ericson contract and a couple of other bad contracts and Benning trades them away when they are almost over for another terrible long term contract.

And structuring Boeser's contract so he would have 7.5 million QO was another terrible move. 

I wanted to like OEL and maybe his poor play the last few games is injury-related. But, at his age and his current quality of play things do not look good.

Boeser I think will be traded. Not sure if it will happen before the deadline.  More likely it happens after the season. I like Boeser but he just isn't that good.

I also have been disappointed in Hamonic. Among other things, he is too predictable with the puck. It is an old adage in hockey that shooting the puck toward the net is never a bad play. But sometimes it is, as Hamonic shows. 

That said, the Canucks were unlucky not to get a couple of goals tonight. That ran into a goalie who had a good game, some bad puck luck, and some of the guys weren't sharp tonight. But the letdown is not a big surprise after the emotional effort of the Devils game.

I am sorry Stecher is not still with the team, Letting him go was, in my view, another Benning mistake. I am not sorry Juolevi is gone. He was a liability for Detroit tonight. That pick was another big mistake,.  

• Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

2 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

I’m glad at least we did not sign Brock long term. His stats never really tell the story about him being a perimeter player and never a driver of play. I’m so done with this guy.

Something happened to him for sure. There was a time I thought he’d be one of the best players on the team. 
Maybe he liked Green. 

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, grandmaster said:

I think it’s more so with the trade deadline as well. If they continue to lose, our team might be in the sellers market.

The players also know this. Which is why they looked so frustrated and why they were giving all they had. Nights like this happen to all teams. As long as they try, I can’t be too upset. We ran into a hot goalie who stole the game.

If we had a nice cushion and were

looking from a higher spot in the standings, this game would have been totally acceptable. 

When I watched the game I never felt like the Detroit goalie made amazing saves. There were a lot of shots, but they were perimeter and without being obstructed.

Our problem now is that we could have gotten two points ( as a small cushion that would have tied us with Vegas ) but now we face 5 teams that have much better records than the Canucks. The ONLY wildcard spot that is really attainable is the Vegas spot. Nashville is the first wildcard spot and they are 7 points ahead of us. VERY unlikely we win / they lose enough to catch them, so we have to aim for the final wildcard spot.

So will the last wildcard spot be Canucks, Vegas, Dallas, or Winnipeg? Next 7 games - Vegas easiest schedule. Canucks - hardest schedule

Edited by AnotherCanucksFan
  • Cheers 3

22 minutes ago, sxqhfeh said:

Vegas 3 games
Dallas 2 games

3 home games and 2 away games, you have to win all of them and go 15-5, good luck for that

If you aren’t going to cheer for your team then get off the forums and cheer for the Calgary Canucks instead you loser.

• Like 1