The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Blackhawks trade Brandon Hagel, 2022 4th-round pick, 2024 4th-round pick to Lightning for Taylor Raddysh, Boris Katchouk, 2023 1st-round pick, 2024 1st-round pick

6 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Push for playoffs. 

Sell anyone that a team is willing to offer a ridiculous amount for otherwise wait till the offseason!

yell season 3 GIF

3 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Fixed

2 minutes ago, Pears said:

Double fixed^_^

Triple fixed ;)

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, grandmaster said:

Ya so we trade a legit top 10 NHL’er for picks who could turn into a Virtanen or OJ? No thanks. Miller stays!

Bet you're a hoot to have a beer with. I'm just sayin his value would be immense right now. Those picks and prospects could also change the team for the next 10 years, it goes both ways 

Edited by Shayster007
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Seguin

Jamie Benn

Miller will sign a $9+ million deal and will see the same potential fall off in production while being 2+ years older than them when they signed those deals.  Speculation or not, he's almost priced himself out of another contract in vancouver

Seguin and Benn are quality players.  Without them Dallas has pretty much nothing up front.  Dallas's problem is in goal.  Right now they have Holtby and a 23 year old rookie leading the charge.  They will never be a contender with their goalie situation.  We are lucky to have Demko, who is a huge building block for Vancouver.

You build a team from the net out and up the middle.  Wingers are the easiest players to acquire.  Miller is our #1 centre right now.  That's a player you build around.  You can trade guys like Boeser and Garland to fill other needs and then acquire cheap ELC wingers to fill the holes.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Garland to NYR for Lundkvist and Kravtsov?  Rangers will need to add if they want to compete with FLA, TB and maybe COL if they get really lucky.  They won't miss these prospects.

That trade seems fairly realistic honestly. Kravtsov wants out and is unproven in the NHL and Lundkvist is a well liked prospect, but not one of their top ones. 

I wonder if we can shift this trade to include Boeser instead and pull a couple 1st from them or a first and another lower end prospect. 

Edited by Bobby James
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Seguin and Benn are quality players.  Without them Dallas has pretty much nothing up front.  Dallas's problem is in goal.  Right now they have Holtby and a 23 year old rookie leading the charge.  They will never be a contender with their goalie situation.  We are lucky to have Demko, who is a huge building block for Vancouver.

You build a team from the net out and up the middle.  Wingers are the easiest players to acquire.  Miller is our #1 centre right now.  That's a player you build around.  You can trade guys like Boeser and Garland to fill other needs and then acquire cheap ELC wingers to fill the holes.

Where are those easy to acquire wingers you talked about? This team literally have no legit top 6 winger that can put the puck in the net or produce at a respectable top line production. if you don't count boeser since Daniel Sedin

5 minutes ago, Provost said:

Well you have kind of answered your own question.  By trading Miller you get yourself several of those cheap ELC contracts to be able to afford paying a player(s) $10 million.  If you are paying him full market price, then getting massive assets for him and ALSO having that money to pay market price for another player is good math cap wise.

It is exactly the same as your point about trading Garland and Boeser, except they don’t bring near the same returns.

It also doesn’t have to be a 30 year old player in UFA.  It could be a 27 year old, or an Erhoff type trade where it is a cap issue for another team, or some solid RFAs that don’t get qualified and become UFAs young.

Lots of options that don’t involve baking in several years of negative cap value for a guy in his late 30’s as your highest paid player.

In 5 years Miller may not be our highest paid player.  What do you think Demko, Petey and Hughes will want on their next contracts?  It's all relative as the cap will be going up.  The key is to fill your team with cheap ELC contracts while paying your best players top dollar.  It's a tricky business and lots of teams fail to do it.  I wouldn't be paying wingers $7 million+.  Wingers are alot easier to acquire than centres.  If Miller wants to keep playing centre then I am fine paying him $9 million.  

• Like 1

Just now, wai_lai416 said:

Where are those easy to acquire wingers you talked about? This team literally have no legit top 6 winger that can put the puck in the net or produce at a respectable top line production. if you don't count boeser since Daniel Sedin

Podkolzin and Höglander are two wingers we are currently developing in the NHL.  Klimovich is another one who is developing very well in the AHL.  Kuzmenko is a UFA and should be our #1 target in the summer.  You can trade Boeser for a 3rd line winger who can play with BO plus add a quality Dman.  Garland you can keep only if you have the cap space.  There are some players coming out of the NCAA as well and in Europe.  Allvin is the GM so I'll let him figure it out.  I never said it would be easy, but it's easier to find cheap quality wingers than it is to find a stud #1 or #2 centre.

• Vintage 1

57 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Ya so we trade a legit top 10 NHL’er for picks who could turn into a Virtanen or OJ? No thanks. Miller stays!

I'm so glad you're here, fighting the good fight.

Exactly. "Picks and prospects", for some, equal instant gold/success. Can turn out to be quite the opposite. But we know we've got gold in Miller...sure, question is for how long. That's the case with most players...nothing's guaranteed when you play a high impact sport. Young guys can also fall to injury, but you roll the dice. And in knowing/seeing what Miller brings, I'd hate to try to "find" that elsewhere. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The assets returned for Hagel are mind boggling.  I get that he is young, still on a cheap contract, and is on a 25-30 goal pace.  To think the was taken in the 6th round (4 spots after Canucks took Stukel) and now the Hawks have translated him into multiple first rounders and some pretty good young players.  Would it be kinda like the Canucks trading Boeser after his rookie year?  Maybe not..but talk about a bit of luck mixed with some ballsy decisions...

17 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The stat when Miller does not record a point for this team is something like 2-23-4.  When Demko doesn't start I believe this team has only won 3 games.  You do not build around near 30 year old players with $9+ million contracts when it is evident you have so much more glaring issues throughout the entire line up.  Take away either one of Miller or Demko and this team is drafting top 5 period.

Benn and Seguin signed their contracts in 2016 and 2018 respectively at that time aged 26.  Both were coming off multiple 70+-80+ point seasons and have both since seen their point totals decline to roughly 60 or less point per season averages over the last 2.5 seasons.

We can not sign a player at almost 30 to a $9+ million deal knowing without question that production will wane and we will have to be replacing some seriously important spots via free agency at market value as we do not have those replacement players in the pipeline at those positions.

That's just a terrible way to manage the cap and the team itself.

The awful part is, the troll in me hopes Miller gets that fair market value contract at term from the Canucks and the inevitable happens just for the pure value of trolling the people who were so adamant about retaining him.  I don't know when I became this person but for giggles it would be amusing to see.

Edited by Warhippy
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I agree that a contender won't, not in a significant way. But I'd argue that Schneider+ or Newhook+ isn't a significant blow to either New York or Colorado, not when you factor in the net gain of adding a Miller. New York in particular can afford to eat that loss considering they have Fox and Trouba ahead of Schneider. 

And maybe, hard to say. But you've gotta think that given the season guys like Shesterkin and Kreider are having that they've got to add if they want to compete with the likes of Tampa, Florida, and even Carolina. New York is also in a place where they should be going for it given the ages of their top players.

I can't answer your question, but they should absolutely be looking to add. Will it be Miller? Dunno. Will they pay up what it'd cost? Dunno. But they should be inquiring. 

Lafreniere makes sense as he's a ready made player who can step into the top 6 and fill some of Miller's scoring that we would lose.  Schneider and Kravtsov wouldn't be doing that.  We would still have a massive hole in the top 6 that can't easily be filled by trading Miller.

I am sure that the Rangers would do a Schneider, Kravtsov and 1str deal to acquire Miller.  Especially with 50% retention.  I am also pretty sure that JR is the one not pulling the trigger and most likely asking for Lafreniere in return.  There was a quote that the ask for Miller was very high when it came to the Rangers.  So this all makes sense.

The Rangers haven't pulled the trigger yet.  Teams around them are loading up.  The Rangers may be waiting for Monday before they do anything.  I am sure Miller is the guy they want.  Will they pony up to get him?  We will see...

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

30 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Miller is a difference maker, the soul of this team. Name one player on this team that has more heart and determination. Hughes was recently quoted as saying he has never seen anyone push as hard as Miller. It’s infectious. He holds himself and others accountable. I will go as far as saying he is the best leader I’ve ever seen in a Canuck uniform.

His value is actually priceless and can never be replaced, regardless of positional upgrades on defence. 

You are taking the myth of miller to a new level, that's for sure.  Miller definitely is not irreplaceable, he's having career season no doubt, but it's an outlier in his career and hes going to decline over the remainder of his career.

I think you are in for a deep, deep disappointment when he's gone, whether it's this tdl, at the draft or next tdl.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

23 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

But not contenders, nor will Van be with a declining asset at an astronomical pricetag