The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Maple Leafs trade Travis Dermott to Canucks for 2022 3rd-round pick

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

We keep Miller at 9 mil per, and how do we afford to keep Dermott at 4 mil?  We would need an ELC guy coming up to replace guys like Dermott who are moving into contracts where they earn too much.  Where do those ELC guys come from?  Lots and lots of picks, especially in the second and third rounds.  

It's not the player (Dermott) it's the philosophy of trying to speed up the process to becoming a consistently competitive team.  IMHAO the Benning method (being replicated by this move) isn't the best way to build what we want.

I just think we were paying Hamonic $3 million, so what’s the difference at $4? If he does play well enough to get paid like that, it means he has flourished here and likely in our top 4. At his age and his next contract he would be 27 and he’s also signed next year at $1.5 million. Worst case you trade him and sell high like we should be doing with Miller right now. 

Edited by KyGuy123

2 minutes ago, aqua59 said:

There's a bigger picture here. 

Actually the bigger picture would be cap space and the extra pick.  the small thinking is to repeat the same as Benning did.  trade 2nds and 3rds for stalled guys in hopes they will get it going.  

• Cheers 2

I haven’t seen him play but I’ve read he is a fast skater. With the amount of turnovers the Canucks gave up this season and the team having skaters that aren’t that fast, I’d imagine this can only be a good thing. I guess they think his weaknesses can be improved upon with enough training. My only concern is his lack of physical presence, which is a hard thing to overcome

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Actually the bigger picture would be cap space and the extra pick.  the small thinking is to repeat the same as Benning did.  trade 2nds and 3rds for stalled guys in hopes they will get it going.  

plus always having enough beer n the fridge, the bigger picture!

5 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Man, I can't believe we won the Dermott sweepstakes.

It may not be the Dermot sweepstakes but rather the Miller sweepstakes.   After the Hamonic deal, you just need to find a taker for one of BB/Garland and you've essentially covered Miller's extension,  IF that's the route you want to go, but the issue is you're already chipping away at the little depth we had by doing so.

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

It’s very simple. Dermott fits better in Boudreau’s system than Hamonic. Can’t get any more simplistic than that. 

Hasn't even played one game and you already can tell the future. Makes you wonder why the Canucks didn't get hosed more in this trade, if it was so obvious. Then again, maybe a third is an overpayment.

11 minutes ago, Dedalus said:

I haven’t seen him play but I’ve read he is a fast skater. With the amount of turnovers the Canucks gave up this season and the team having skaters that aren’t that fast, I’d imagine this can only be a good thing. I guess they think his weaknesses can be improved upon with enough training. My only concern is his lack of physical presence, which is a hard thing to overcome

From a brief look at his stats, Dermott is a bit of a turnover machine.

25 minutes ago, KyGuy123 said:

I just think we were paying Hamonic $3 million, so what’s the difference at $4? If he does play well enough to get paid like that, it means he has flourished here and likely in our top 4. At his age and his next contract he would be 27 and he’s also signed next year at $1.5 million. Worst case you trade him and sell high like we should be doing with Miller right now. 

If he plays his way to a 4 million dollar contract you can trade him at the deadline for a haul or you can re-sign him. Sounds like a good problem to have.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

For what it’s worth, Dermott has thrown more hits, and has a slightly higher hits/60, than Hamonic managed over the past two seasons.

Don't tell Heffy. He only uses the eye test.

• Haha 3