The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Tyler Motte to Rangers for 2023 4th-round pick

10 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

It's called fair market value.  Several other similar and better players returned a 4th as well.

Nick Paul for one.

Why trade him at all if that's all we get?  He's a useful member of our team and we've still got games to win this year.  GCG!

• Cheers 1

He wanted more than he was worth,

wouldn’t extend 

So trade pending ufas for assets

a 4th beats nothing. One of the biggest issues with JB was letting ufas walk for nothing. 

if you worried that motte was the difference between playoffs and not,

just stop and think about that

maybe say it out loud a 4th line winger was our best hope at making the post season…. Right. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

Just now, tas said:

you would have been upset if the canucks missed out on a 4th rounder?

Like i said, something better than nothing. What will Motte do for the remaining games anyways. We not signing him... No point in discussing this anymore. I understand that you wouldve kept him while I wouldve just taken the 4th and called it. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

If the implication is Motter wasn't interested in re-signing at fair value, I accept the 4th rounder. But as someone that has no inside info. It sucks to see the heart and soul of our bottom 6 gone for a 4th rounder. But I guess I can just convince myself he wanted more than he was worth.

He was earning less than he was worth to the team this year.

We lost him for the rest of this year.

This new management team does not respect what we have this year.

Again, if we did not have Motte, I would have gladly given a 4th to get him even just for the rest of this year.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I agree the player are completely different.  It's the concept, as stated by Allvin, we can't afford to lose assets.  That's why we traded Motte.  We couldn't afford to lose out on that fourth round pick.  Okay.  Understood.  But we lost a lot more than a fourth not trading Miller before this TDL than a fourth.  We need to applay the same philosophy across the board.  Miller just lost a lot of value.  Now we have to re-sign Miller or those assets are lost.  

Was Allvin supposed to force a team to pay 4 1st round picks for Miller? No one was going to pay Miller's value, it was too high. If we would have traded Miller, we wouldn't have got fair value. In my eyes these aren't reasonable comparisons at all.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, nux_win said:

Why trade him at all if that's all we get?  He's a useful member of our team and we've still got games to win this year.  GCG!

You take the fourth. Punch the lottery ticket, we haven't punch enough of them the last decade and a half. 

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

So basically he didn’t gain any value here. I don’t believe that.

Couldnt we have at least gotten some boom or bust prospect from them? I’d prefer that over a fourth. Get Gradin to pick one of their Swedish prospects!

Can't say that I disagree with any of this. There is a let's see if we can salvage something out of the Miller trade deal after it fell apart. The Rangers couldn't accept the Canucks' demands for Miller (and a package which included Motte), but just as they were about to hang up, someone said, "What about just for Motte?"

The only thing that makes sense to me is that the team had no intention of re-signing Motte (for some reason). As he was a pending UFA, they got a 4th. I still think he was worth more.

But hey, it's BASEBALL season just around the corner. GO GIANTS!!, Best wishes to you Jays fans, and for you Yankees and Dodgers fans.....................

regards,  G.

6 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

We the fanbase may value Motte more than how other teams view him.

Disappointed we didn't squeeze more value for him but also glad we are not going to lose him for nothing or feel pressured to re-sign him to a hefty deal. 

This way we did lose him for nothing, and not just in the future but right Marchanding now.

If we had traded Boeser for something substantial no one would give a Marchand about what we got for Motte. The big issue here is that Motte for a 4th is all this GM group can put together... It leaves the fanbase wondering what is the plan... Get worse without even gathering decent picks or assets?

5 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

It should have been planned for 2 years in advance. There were options if they were properly prepared. If prepared, they could have got Demko into enough games to showcase his value and then move him just like we moved Schneider so many years ago. 

Or the year prior, decided on Demko and traded Markstrom to a team that wanted a MVP level goaltender. 

The TT rental trade was fine IF we had enough prospects and assets remaining, but we haven't. 

Tanev was one we could have kept if, again, good planning was done in the years leading up.

Bennings regime flew by the seat of their pants - taking it 1 year at a time, hoping they'd make the playoffs, and giving up all futures to win now.

PA/JR are actually making a plan, and I'm very happy about that.

Planning is good-Im not disagreeing with that.

However, your reasoning is too assumptive.  Demko was definitely still developing at the time. Post bubble there was a big (?) whether he could handle being a starter hence Holtby.  

Trying to criticize the previous regime for not having developed Demko into a Schneider-esque proven player is a stretch.  He’s been probably one of the major development bright spots for this org.  He has been handled well as a developing player.

Management in place now is handling their buisness the way they see fit.  Ill give them full autonomy to do things their way like I usually have with this team. No debate there.

6 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I should preface, I didn't mean he had far more value in a trade. I meant more so to the team. A 4th is fair-ish value for a 4th liner that needs a new contract. But I really think he was the heart and soul of the bottom 6 and has been for years. I guess they're really high on Lammikko and Highmore. Both of which are also lefties creating a bit of a logjam. They went with the cheaper options.

I think that's the crux of it. I suspect Motte was asking for more than they were willing to pay and he wasn't budging. I also think when they got Richardson for free they went there's his replacement for now, let's just get what we can for Motte. Moving Motte does create a pssoble opening for the cheaper Lockwood next year if his defensive game has improved. He's like Motte in that he's fast and plays bigger than his size. But he needed to improve his defensive responsibility. I like Motte, but at the wrong price he was expendable.

Just now, Shayster007 said:

Was Allvin supposed to force a team to pay 4 1st round picks for Miller? No one was going to pay Miller's value, it was too high. If we would have traded Miller, we wouldn't have got fair value. In my eyes these aren't reasonable comparisons at all.

Exactly. The market couldn't afford Miller's worth. You can have the nicest truck around for sale, but if people aren't buying, they aren't buying. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, rekker said:

You take the fourth. Punch the lottery ticket, we haven't punch enough of them the last decade and a half. 

Trade a known useful player for a 5% chance at one?  It's all a gamble but that doesn't seem like a smart one to me.  It's a WAY better deal for the Rangers.  I still don't get why.  Like I said, we've still got games to win this year.  GCG!

Hearing Allvin's comments on Motter, it sounds like there was a difference on the numbers for a contract. So while my initial reactions were negative, if this is true we got something for someone we would have lost for nothing. Trade is a win.

Unless he re-signs with his new team for 1-1.5m in which case I'll be sad. Lol. Cause I think he's worth roughly 1-1.5m per. But what's done is done. We're a weaker team but we got something for someone we were likely gonna lose. And the season was borderline lost after the first 3rd of the season anyway. Wish you the best Motter, hopefully you get paid.

1 minute ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I mean, Rathbone was a 4th rd pick, and so was...."scans db for any notable 4th rd picks in franchise history"......Harold Snepsts!

:bigblush:

I keep getting a kick out of everyone saying 4ths aren't worth anything in this trade in peticular.

Edited by Shayster007

1 minute ago, Shayster007 said:

Yeah but now our options with Miller are likely 

Take way less value in a future trade or handicap the team for 8 years by signing him to a ridiculous contract 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Goal:thecup said:

He was earning less than he was worth to the team this year.

We lost him for the rest of this year.

This new management team does not respect what we have this year.

Again, if we did not have Motte, I would have gladly given a 4th to get him even just for the rest of this year.

So the management team moves out a D man that only played 24 games this season and a 3rd line winger and that's not respecting what we have this year? The fact that they kept everyone else should be a sign that they do respect it. 

I also don't think moving Motte leaves the team out to dry, if you said that about moving Miller fair but not Motte. I liked him in the lineup no doubt, but moving on from Motte will not be a franchise changing move. 

2 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

IMHAO our owner has stepped in on any Miller trade in hopes of re-signing the player.  

• Cheers 1