The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Tyler Motte to Rangers for 2023 4th-round pick

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

See, I can respect that. I see things a bit differently, because what the Canucks management and Motte couldn't agree to prior to the deadline on March 21st and what'll be available within the first couple days of free agency could be very different things. Maybe Motte goes to market having been sold on how much he's worth by his agent and finds out teams aren't willing to pay what he wants, or maybe he gets it, or maybe somewhere in the middle. But at the end of the day management wasn't comfortable with what he wanted in terms of a contract yesterday. Now, will that leak? Given how little we've gotten from this management in terms of leaks I wouldn't count on it. 

If Motte goes to market and gets a contract Canucks fans would have happily signed him to that doesn't mean that's what was on the table leading up to the deadline, or that it's what Motte would have accepted yesterday. 

I liked Motte as a player too, and he was a great human being, but fans get waaaaay too attached to players. And I mean, I get it, but they're assets at the end of the day and the business side and the management of the team and cap is more important than keeping everyone. Teams see players go every year, players that fanbases enjoy even. That's just the business. 

Anywhere? Nah. But can you find them? Yeah. Top third and fourth liners typically get more, but third and fourth liners as a whole aren't hard to find or plug in. Would a Lockwood or Jasek be as effective as a Motte starting out? Of course not, but to expect that is silly. Motte wouldn't be as effective as he has been if we hadn't given him a chance either. Many viewed him as an underwhelming return for Vanek years back and now folks don't want to let go. But yes, there are players with heart on every roster, go ask all the fanbases who they have. Watch games that don't involve the Canucks if you don't, I do. Heart and intangibles aren't this mythological thing possessed by a few rare players, every team around the league has it in their lineup and you see players with it playing in lesser leagues.

I get the point of your list too, but I can list a list too. A list over overpaid or supposedly ineffective bottom six players I've seen fans complain about the last 4-5 seasons. 

Sutter, Beagle, Player Name, Baertschi, Roussel, Schaller, Virtanen, Gagner, Prust. Hell, even Pearson would be lumped in there by some despite being an adequate middle six tweener. 

Point is we can't simultaneously complain about overpaid bottom six players and then fuss about management moving on when bottom six players want too much. Finding the sweet spot with a contract is hard, but when your management group consistently overpays guys it impacts the entire roster. Some folks point at this move as a ruthless move that shows management isn't willing to reward effort, I don't see it that way, I see it as a move that demonstrates this team wants to be serious about competing, which means managing cap and trying to pay assets fairly without paying more than they think they should

We're a capped out team that's unlikely to make the playoffs in part because of past overpayments. 

I agree.... plus it sets a standard that the new mgmt team can work with moving fwd when other players (especially the higher end ones) are faced with re-signing at what the team has set it's "salary tiering" at or accepting that they'll be moved to try and get more elsewhere.   

No more team caving and overpaying to re-sign a player before the TDL, and no more holding onto them hoping negotiations go well after the TDL.

It's what we've been wanting for a long time.

Edited by Jayinblack
  • Cheers 2

30 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I really tried to get behind this player in the beginning but he's a total bust. There's a small chance a mediocre team might take him with a sweetener. What do you think it would take to dump him? A 2nd, a third, Klimovich, Woo, Hoglander?

Ah, we're probably stuck with him.

I'd hate to lose a good asset to get rid of him since we have so few good young prospects.

His buyout after this season actually isn't that bad....

image.thumb.png.6e54f746f72776394e87983b5e329903.png

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Decent lineup but not a cup winning one.

Imagine they had Miller in that top 6…

Kreider Zibanejad Miller

Panarin Strome Lafreniere 

Copp Chytil Vatrano

Motte Goodrow Reaves

That’s the kind of depth you need.

• Cheers 2

Allvin did the right thing, he acknowledged  they weren't going to get a deal done with Motte and his camp....instead of Motte walking away for nothing this summer they got something in return.... the previous regime failed to do this many times. There is zero reason to be upset or confused about, it's clear and straight forward why this happened. 

Edited by Harold Drunken
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Decent lineup but not a cup winning one.

Imagine they had Miller in that top 6…

Kreider Zibanejad Miller

Panarin Strome Lafreniere 

Copp Chytil Vatrano

Motte Goodrow Reaves

That’s the kind of depth you need.

imo NYR made a mistake not getting him, the deal was there to be made that made sense for both teams. 

I'm glad we didn't cave in and fire sale Miller to them. 

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Azzy said:

I'm told on Twitter that guys with career highs of 16 points don't get more than a 4th rounder in return.

By the same token, those same players ought not receive contracts over, what, $1.5m AAV?

Apparently all Canucks fans should be happy with the meagre return because Motte is basically worthless, but still worth $10-$12m over 4 years. Go figure.

Career high of 16 points and never come close to playing a full season, unfortunately in this league 3rd/4th line checking forwards are more plentiful than top 6 contributors etc. I loved Motte, he was one of the hardest working guy's on the team and probably our best penalty killer but in reality he's easier to replace than others. Lots of hard working 4th line players out there, look at Lammikko and Highmore etc. 

Allvin did the right thing, they weren't going to agree on an extension and instead of letting him walk for nothing we got something for him instead...it's pretty simple. 

• Vintage 1

26 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Why would Motte be on their 4th line when he was playing 3rd line minutes with us and should be paid accordingly?!!! /sarcasm.

When Kakko comes back, Motte might not even crack their lineup.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

Appleton is the closest comp to Motte imo, and thats what he went for.

Disappointing, sure. Hair on fire worthy? no. 

Can't agree with you here JM,

Appleton is a way better haul than Motte.  He is a RFA at the end of season.

Nick Paul is a Motte comparable, but a better player.

I don't see how Motte would have gotten a higher pick with these two traded for 4th rounders.

• Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I don't see how Motte would have gotten a higher pick with these two traded for 4th rounders.

sure thats a fair view too. Market was what it was. 

Have to say I over reacted yesterday. We got what we could for him. I would have just preferred to keep him for that return. Maybe he walks or whatever but at lease he would have been here incase some miracle run.

Personal preference: Keep him

Business side: Trade him for a 4th  

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jayinblack said:

I'd hate to lose a good asset to get rid of him since we have so few good young prospects.

His buyout after this season actually isn't that bad....

image.thumb.png.6e54f746f72776394e87983b5e329903.png

Yeah I agree. I'm loathe to get rid of any assets as well. We have so very few. I thought about a buyout as well I know a couple people have mentioned we should be dead cap free after next year so it would be nice to be completely free of wasted cap. This buyout isn't that much (thanks for the info) but it's 3 years of $1mil cap penalty (I think?). Not sure if that's worth it to PA. Conversely we could trade him with 50% retained at the end of next year and just owe him $1.325 for 23-24. Does that make any sense?

There’s a lot of talk, myself included, in this thread about mgmt making changes in the offseason. Now that we’ve deferred to that time and space, just what do some of you think are viable, and more importantly, ACCEPTABLE, options to effectuate a retool?

I think there are some hard decisions to be made that will involve a bit more sacrifice, and given the current makeup of this roster and the potential to build on it and make the playoffs next year, we are kind of limited as to how best service  and afford this required retool.

How would folks feel if we completed another Arizona type deal but with Seattle in the offseason?

Would anyone be willing to accept losing a 1st round pick to shed the Myers and Dickinson contracts? Maybe getting a Will Borgen (25yrs old, 1 more year at 900K then RFA) in exchange?

Myers + Dickinson (8.65 mill in cap) + 

+ 1st rounder

for 
Will Borgen (900K) 

This could go into proposals page, but first wanted to see what everyone thinks is acceptable and gives this new mgmt team some cap space to really retool.

Personally I would hate to lose another 1st round pick, but shedding the Myers  (or OEL for that matter) and another contract is paramount to us moving forward.  Don’t get me wrong, I like Myers but for $2 mill less per.

it’s not going to be easy and I’d really like to hear what us fans think are some approaches to take the next steps.

Thoughts?

Thank you!

24 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I liked Motte a lot. However, Alvin’s message to the org was obvious, there is a bottom line. Boeser’s camp will now know that valuable players will be moved if they don’t fit financially. Good on Allvin. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

Some are really upset Motte is gone.  Would they be just as upset if Highmore left?  Same type of player.

I think in part it’s also because Motte has his share of problems off the ice and has been vocal and courageous about coming forward with them and injecting himself into the community as an ambassador. That’s huge value to a fan base.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

Appleton is the closest comp to Motte imo, and thats what he went for.

Disappointing, sure. Hair on fire worthy? no. 

I hope they dont wait until deadline next year if they decide to trade Miller. Will need more than a 4th!  

disney quote GIF

• Haha 2