The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Tyler Motte to Rangers for 2023 4th-round pick

8 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

cute i just said i rather let motte walk for free if we can't re-sign him and you say I'm ONE OF THOSE fans that'll blame PA.. the only thing i blame PA is we are still not a buyer or seller.. so wth are we

Ok then, but as I said, a lot of people (might be you, might not be), who usually turns around and blames the GM for not getting at least something.

I was optimistic when rutherford was hired, but am still skeptical about allvin granato and castonguay. 

Ill reserve judgement till they have a full offseason to get their plan together, but at the moment it just seems like a whole lot of meh. 

Dont get me wrong, i get the reasoning on the moves for the most part. It just seems like they dont know if they wanna rebuild or compete.

Seems like vancouver has been retooling in mediocrity for so long, that this management team isnt much different than the last. 

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, sxqhfeh said:

Hansen once again with a great take:

"What needs to happen with Tyler Motte?"

Jannik Hansen: "It doesn't matter. He's a 4th liner. These are fringe moves. The changes this team needs are way more expensive than the Tyler Motte's"

Boom. That's exactly it. 

• Huggy Bear 1

34 minutes ago, Nucks780 said:

Man it's its really sad to see him go. But you understand he's gotta make his money somewhere.

Always appreciated him telling his story about mental health because I can totally relate. Alot of respect for him as a player and person. Good luck with Nyr Motter.

I gave you a Sedinery emoji for the classy, spot-on post. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Motte is great but how high can you go for a 4th line winger who already is making more than most when you're trying to lower your salary cap?

Moving on from him is just the business of hockey.  It's not going to make much of a difference if any on team performance.

If he wanted too much they had to get an asset back before trading closed.  And the return isn't low, it's market value.  Here are some other players who went for 4th rounders recently:

Brassard (Edm), Appleton (Jets), Wedgewood (Stars), Vatrano (NYR)

Good move by Allvin

Motte is on the rise & playing with more speed, heart & consistency in his role  than all 4 of those players you mentioned.

Motte is being under-valued & his intangibles were not properly respected in the price. It’s a sad realization that management has pulled a reliable cog out of the machine pushing hard on fumes to reach the play-offs…& that they’ve officially abandoned this pursuit. 

More of this team’s heart is gone & forgive me for mourning that a little.

Edited by viking mama
  • Cheers 3

7 minutes ago, Coconuts said:
5 hours ago, sxqhfeh said:

Hansen once again with a great take:

"What needs to happen with Tyler Motte?"

Jannik Hansen: "It doesn't matter. He's a 4th liner. These are fringe moves. The changes this team needs are way more expensive than the Tyler Motte's"

Boom. That's exactly it. 

Hansen is gunning for Beiksa's throne with no nonsense comments like this

He also reminds me of Motte early in his career on the 4th line until the Sedins upped his value.

36 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

By all means have patience, the new management team has to show what they've got over a full year of all the many tasks it takes to understand and prepare for: 

1. The Trade Deadline, and trying to maximize the return on your assets.

2. The Entry Draft, then actually drafting.

3. Continuous exploration of the trade market and the relative value of different players.

4. The actual execution of trades.

5. What to do in Free Agency, and how that helps move the needle.

6. Who, if anyone, to buy out.

7. Ensuring that the scouting staff is adequately prepared, properly resourced and carefully directed.

8. Preparing for training camp, then conducting training camp.

9. Settling on the 25 players on your opening day roster.

10. Providing whatever support is necessary to Abbotsford.

11. Searching for, finding and signing European free agents.

12. Knowing every day what the market for players looks like, and then acting if an opportunity presents itself.

13. Deciding on who or who not to re-sign

14. Determining how much term and how many dollars each re-signed player should receive.

15. Adapting to unforeseen long term injuries.

16. Enduring vicious criticism from an army of self-appointed experts who will never get closer to the NHL than buying a ticket to a game. 

So far we have seen a couple of minor trades, a waiver pickup, the realization that Motte would want more than they were willing to pay, and a sense that the management team is on a steep learning curve and are being extremely cautious. Let's all see how they handle the sixteen points above, which will take a full year, before we consign them to the dung heap. To pass judgement this early lacks even a rudimentary understanding of the complexity of running a successful NHL team.

what an excellent post. well said. 

Edited by eeeeergh
  • Cheers 3

1 minute ago, viking mama said:

Motte is on the rise & playing with more speed, heart & consistency in his role  than all 4 of those players you mentioned.

Motte is being under-valued & his intangibles were not properly respected in the price. It’s a sad realization that management has pulled a reliable cog out of the machine pushing hard on fumes to reach the play-offs…& that they’ve officially abandoned this pursuit. 

More of the team’s ‘heart’ is gone. 

Eh, you can pay other players less to bring "intangibles" and "heart". It's a business at the end of the day, better players than Motte got a 4th in return. He wanted more than we were willing to pay, it happens to every team. 

Fans get so attached to their players that they build up entire mythologies around them. There are plenty of players around the league who also play with intangibles and heart. 

Just now, nuck-lifer said:

Hansen is gunning for Beiksa's throne with no nonsense comments like this

He also reminds me of Motte early in his career on the 4th line until the Sedins upped his value.

Eh, Hansen was always better than Motte. Just as fast, just as dogged, solid defensively, stayed healthy. Played 626 NHL games, most of them with us. Motte is a bottom six player, Hansen could be a capable middle six tweener. This isn't to dump on Motte, but Hansen's value was there before he played with the twins and that's reflected in his point totals. 47 career points vs 256.  

I like most of Hansen's takes though. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, danjr said:

I just do not understand this move.
He is one of the teams best energy players.

There are about 5 other players on the bottom six I'd rather see let go.

Pure baffled!

What's to be baffled about? He would have cost too much. This was market value, stop overvaluing players.

• Cheers 4