The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Tyler Motte to Rangers for 2023 4th-round pick

2 hours ago, combover said:

Those are the two things you seem to be an expert on. 

your hilarious
and not in a im laughing with you kinda way. 

The vast majority here know Motte doesn’t push the needle as far as playoffs go. Why you’re obsessing over that point is beyond me. 

2 hours ago, Mackcanuck said:

Patrik Allvin got more for Tyler Motte,

Than Jim Benning did for Shawn Matthias, Dan Hamhuis, Radim Vrbata, Chris Higgins, Chris Tanev, Troy Stecher, Alex Edler, and Jacob Markstrom combined! :shock:

If you think they were realistically trading Markstrom and Tanev and Edler in a playoff push then I honestly don’t know what to tell you. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Devron said:

Have to say I over reacted yesterday. We got what we could for him. I would have just preferred to keep him for that return. Maybe he walks or whatever but at lease he would have been here incase some miracle run.

Personal preference: Keep him

Business side: Trade him for a 4th  

Kinda where I fall on this too after sleeping on it. 

• Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

I think adding Motte to an already strong NYR team will pay dividends for them becasue he is great at the PK and can spark his team with his quickness and tenacity on the forecheck. We will certainly miss him for the rest of this year as we push for the playoffs (pipe dream at this point). But picking up Richardson helps and maybe Sutter will be ready to go soonish???

I will be cheering for Motte. Great teamfirst kinda player and never takes a shift off.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mll said:

Starting on the 4th line with Goodrow and Reaves.

"I've found a role on the PK, so I'll see if I get that same opportunity here," Motte said. "Just try and play good hard minutes, get in on the forecheck, use my speed and try to make my linemates' nights easier. You get excited for the opportunity, excited to play meaningful games here down the stretch and make a run with these guys. It's exciting to get right into it right away."

I'll be curious how our PK will look after this... not that it can get any worse in terms of standing in the league, but as a %, there's still plenty of room to drop lol

Edited by HKSR

4 minutes ago, Sedinyoureyesontheprize said:

This guy said “uhm” like a billion times. 

Is this an issue?  Should Patrik take a Toastmasters course?

Who cares if he pauses and is careful what he says, the guy is going to build a championship team here. 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, mordekai said:

People here are comparing Motte to Andrew Copp LOL

clearly a bunch of you just log in to complain and doesn’t watch any other nhl games 

:metal:

I agree, Copp, 6'1, 27, is a much better player then Motte..Cope last 2 seasons Gp 59 - PTS 39----This season GP 56-- PTS 35..

Copp could play top 6 on a lot of teams..Good trade for the Rangers..

On 3/21/2022 at 1:09 PM, x00x said:

as i was saying, we did nothing to improve our cap, and or get picks, younger players.....we still have this huge cap issue and our crappy first period starts will continue...stuck with some big contracts that no teams will want in the offseason

It will be looked after, takes time to dump cap at trade deadline...Will one think good teams don't pay 4th liners over 1.5 million..

Thats why new management had to trade Motte..As we found out his value to 30 other NHL teams is a 4th rounder..

That just stated what the value of Motte is...Lets see if some team give him the contract over 2 million...

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, wildcam said:

It will be looked after, takes time to dump cap at trade deadline...Will one think good teams don't pay 4th liners over 1.5 million..

Thats why new management had to trade Motte..As we found out his value to 30 other NHL teams is a 4th rounder..

That just stated what the value of Motte is...Lets see if some team give him the contract over 2 million...

Fully agree. I do think Motte will get 2 mil+ though, but it will be from Arizona, Seattle, Buffalo, Ottawa or some other team that needs what he brings in intangibles and are willing to pay for it, not a playoff team.

35 minutes ago, wildcam said:

I agree, Copp, 6'1, 27, is a much better player then Motte..Cope last 2 seasons Gp 59 - PTS 39----This season GP 56-- PTS 35..

Copp could play top 6 on a lot of teams..Good trade for the Rangers..

He is also a top tier 3rd line center who can win face offs (54%)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Baggins said:

Didn't see Alvin's post deadline presser? He said they couldn't come to an agreement with Motte. That left move him or let him walk for nothing.

It's about 30 seconds in....

I been so busy with my job and a side reno job, haven't seen any hockey news at all.  Missed the entire trade deadline.
Thanks for the info.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

5 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Some are really upset Motte is gone.  Would they be just as upset if Highmore left?  Same type of player.

Actually I've seen move Highmore posts. That line was two pending RFA's and a pending UFA. The difference is Lammiko is a good story going from fringe here to securing a solid role. Fans like good stories. Motte went from disappointing return to virtually instantly liked for his motor and effort. Thus when talking about the line it is liked, liked, meh. Highmore is a very similar player to Motte. High motor, aggressive, similar shot blocking (slight advantage Highmore), Motte hits more, has a very slight advantage in ppg, and gets more pk time. So really, some are willing to pay more for Motte in the role simply because he's established as liked.  I like Motte, but I also like Highmore. RFA's Lammiko and Highmore might cost about the same combined as Motte would have cost. Pure speculation here, I think Motte would have been extended if he was asking for less than 2m. I think Lammiko and Highmore will be extended around Motte's current 1.2m with Lam getting a little more as a C. They are RFA's and neither has a great deal of clout.

But being liked, meh, or disliked by fans here plays a huge role in who should stay or go for them. Liked often overrules logic. One other thing is fans complain about a player being in the coaches doghouse. The toughest doghouse to get out of is the fan doghouse. Highmore had the disadvantage of instant 'dislike' status and in the fan doghouse because he's what we got for the 'liked' Gaudette and he's barely managed to achieve meh status for many despite his good play.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Mackcanuck said:

Patrik Allvin got more for Tyler Motte,

Than Jim Benning did for Shawn Matthias, Dan Hamhuis, Radim Vrbata, Chris Higgins, Chris Tanev, Troy Stecher, Alex Edler, and Jacob Markstrom combined! :shock:

true but jb did get tyler motte for vaneck ... so, there's that

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, rekker said:

We may need a Highmore appreciation thread. Kids a balls to the wall hockey player and I tip my hat to the young man.

One thing about him really makes me smile is drawing an opponent into a penalty. He'll get knocked down and get crosschecked or roughed up and doesn't respond. Then he gets up and skates to the bench with a huge grin on his face. The kid is a gamer.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Actually I've seen move Highmore posts. That line was two pending RFA's and a pending UFA. The difference is Lammiko is a good story going from fringe here to securing a solid role. Fans like good stories. Motte went from disappointing return to virtually instantly liked for his motor and effort. Thus when talking about the line it is liked, liked, meh. Highmore is a very similar player to Motte. High motor, aggressive, similar shot blocking (slight advantage Highmore), Motte hits more, has a very slight advantage in ppg, and gets more pk time. So really, some are willing to pay more for Motte in the role simply because he's established as liked.  I like Motte, but I also like Highmore. RFA's Lammiko and Highmore might cost about the same combined as Motte would have cost. Pure speculation here, I think Motte would have been extended if he was asking for less than 2m. I think Lammiko and Highmore will be extended around Motte's current 1.2m with Lam getting a little more as a C. They are RFA's and neither has a great deal of clout.

But being liked, meh, or disliked by fans here plays a huge role in who should stay or go for them. Liked often overrules logic. One other thing is fans complain about a player being in the coaches doghouse. The toughest doghouse to get out of is the fan doghouse. Highmore had the disadvantage of instant 'dislike' status and in the fan doghouse because he's what we got for the 'liked' Gaudette and he's barely managed to achieve meh status for many despite his good play.

Ive got high hopes Lockwood comes in to fill this role next year. He is another high energy puck hound who likes to hit (even though he isn't huge in stature). I think he is a good fit. I also hope Jasek returns as he could also be another player to fill the hole left.

Richardson is a stop gap this year, which should help in the dot and PK short term.

Management has made a stand and said the bottom six can no longer eat up the cap. The bottom 2 defenders will also be bargain deals. Its the start of some direction for management, but I would appreciate if they gave us a better picture of what the future plans are. Hopefully by beginning of next season we have a clearer view?

Edited by canuckpuckluck1
typo