The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How did JR/PA do on TDL 2022? (10 being best, 1 being worst)

Rate this topic

HKSR

Scale of 1 - 10, how did JR/PA do on TDL 2022?  

251 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

12 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

The facts are.

We didn't clear enough cap space to sign who we have let alone meet Boesers QO or give Miller the raise he will dictate his play suggests he'll get.  We actually managed to get older up front and moved sideways on the blue line.  We didn't gain any appreciable picks to speak of.  

Essentially all we did was ensure we won't move far enough forward to gain a top 10 pick or quality lottery chance.  We didn't improve enough to ensure the playoffs are a possibility.

All we did was tread water while maintaining the reality of being a maximum cap team with no serious prospects.

If anyone thinks this TDL was anything but meh at best from a management team/leadership group that is known for making massive amounts of trades they were watching a different team today.

It wasn't enough for the team to be stuck in mediocrity its whole existence, its also the management destined for mediocrity.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

Trades or something that made sense.

We gained 3 mil and lost 2 good players effectively giving up on the season while getting a 4th, a washed up 4th liner and Dermot who could not get into the Leafs D. 

We got worse with nothing to show for it.

That added cap space is not nothing. As for the two good players; Yes they are decent players but in order to free up cap space sometimes hard decisions have to be made. Hamonic barely played for the team this year and really was not much of a factor in the team making a run for the playoffs. As for Motte; I really liked what he brought to the table but we may never know if he was even thinking on playing here on a cap friendly extension or was firm in his wish to test free agency. My thought is that management is looking at possibly having a line of Highmore, Lammikko and Lockwood for next season if things work out in next years preseason. It would be a fast skating in your face line with a very cost effective cap hit.

Richardson is not the player he once was but should be able to fill in for the balance of the season in place of Motte. He is not fast by any means but still has positional savvy to partially make up for that..

Dermot is a relative unknown to me as I have not sen him play very much. He too may be just a place holder till the off season; time will tell. 

7 minutes ago, Bure_of_94 said:

You nailed it. We’ll have essentially 4.5 million to get 8 players under contract IF we qualify Brock @7.5. 

Other teams will circle us knowing this. Maybe the best we can do is a 3rd rd pick for him.  They’ll know that we most likely won’t qualify him and they’ll be willing to take a chance on him if he makes UFA.  
Or option B is that we trade away Miller or Horvat to sign Boeser. 

Nah, I think there are postseason trades that are likely already discussed and earmarked. Would not surprise me to see if Boeser does go to PIT after the season for a decent return. Hextall just can’t make a deal like that right now without potentially compromising the team balance going into postseason.

I think JR/PA have irons in the fire, perhaps even deals, that just have to wait to be consummated.

You don’t survive in this league as an exec as long as he has by not being shrewd. That said, if we see a Jack Johnson type signing here I will personally take a dump on JR’s office door handle.

Edited by RWJC
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, RWJC said:

Nah, I think there are postseason trades that are likely already discussed and earmarked. Would not surprise me to see if Boeser does go to PIT after the season for a decent return. Hextall just can’t make a deal like that right now without potentially compromising the team balance going into postseason.

I think JR/PA have irons in the fire, perhaps even dead, that just have to wait to be consummated.

You don’t survive in this league as an exec as long as he has by not being shrewd. That said, if we see a Jack Johnson type signing here I will personally take a dump on JR’s office door handle.

I guess we’ll find out in the next 4-5 months.

Garbage job done today.  
If you are going to sell, then sell. 
We should have gotten what we could for Boeser, and really pushed to make the Miller trade.   
This team sucks and is at least 2 years away.  
The time to make the changes and start the retool was now.  

Removed a selfish cancer 

Moved a player that wouldn’t extend and  we’d lose for nothing 

added 

a better younger cheaper replacement for the cancer 

added a draft pick 

picked up a free dependable cheap player that will retire at seasons end. 

even Steven a solid 5 on the chart.

team still has playoff hopes (I don’t)they  didn’t make any moves that hurt our slim chances. 

He’ll Have time to gut it in the summer. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Mackcanuck said:

I gave a 7

Just look at it as 

Hamonic for a 4th

and Motte for a 3rd

Yeah, and add in a young Dman who wants to play, wants ice time and is hungry for it. Dermott could become a nice asset. I’m not banking on it, but he’s a current NHL Dman still with some promise. And he can potentially bounce Hunt out of the lineup. That alone should make 90% of CDC overjoyed, hah

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

Frack me….he’s awful at the mic.

Funny, after Alvin talked on Sportsnet they switch to the boardroom segment and they didn’t even talk about what the Canucks did or didn’t do.... thinking everyone in the business is laughing at how bad our management have done.

Allvin was being really careful what he said and didn't say

After simmering down a bit, hate losing Motte, but I'm looking forward to seeing Dermott play as a Canuck. They cleared a little bit of cap space today and improved the room. The bigger deals will come in the off season. Then, I think we'll have a clearer idea of where the Canucks are headed. 

So, are these the Cs the rest of the way?

Miller

Horvat

Lammikko

Richardson

1 minute ago, Itchyfinger said:

Funny, after Alvin talked on Sportsnet they switch to the boardroom segment and they didn’t even talk about what the Canucks did or didn’t do.... thinking everyone in the business is laughing at how bad our management have done.

I mean, his mouth technically formed “words” but Assistant GM P. Allvin said absolutely NOTHING there. 

I don't think any of the assets we've got from Toronto ever turned out. Boyd, Vessey, Leivo...Leivo was ok, but overall I've never been a fan of the Toronto pickups.

I gave them a 3 for overall moves. There were teams collecting picks and moving players long before today. They could have tried talking to Mottes agent a couple weeks ago,  but they waited and then took a last minute deal. Hamonic for a third was good, but then grabbing Dermott,  I wasn't thrilled. It negated the Hamonic move in my eyes.

Again, just look at the rosters around the league as of now, and some are bloated.

There is going to be urgency to tidy that up in the offseason and that’s where/when/how we can potentially cash in. Especially if any of these teams that beefed up end up failing miserably.