The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Next Up - Boeser -- Re-Sign or Trade

Rate this topic

HKSR

How Much Will Boeser Get?  

226 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Allvin would like to change the culture, and feels some younger players don't work hard enough in practice and off the ice than they should. Having that mindset, the dedication to winning.  I wonder if Boeser is one of those players. Also Petey?

I get the feeling that Podkolzin, Hoglander and Hughes work very hard 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, grumpyone said:

sign him at 5/season with performance bonuses that could net him another 2.

ie: 40 goals or 70pts

That's not an option.  Regular contracts can't have performance bonuses.  

Performance bonuses are only possible on ELCs, 1 year contract for an age 35+ player (eg Halak) or 1 year contract when the player is coming back from a long-term injury.

5 minutes ago, thrago said:

That's why I think they need to start talks now, and if the agent says they aren't willing to talk, my response would be thank you, that tells us all we need to know about what your client feels about his future with this team and then I'd be looking for trades.

I got the sense from Allvin's interview yesterday that not much had happened yet, really hard to say why. Brock's agent could have the strategy to wait and get Brock to UFA status and a big payday asap. Brock can always take less money, right now that contract QO has really put us in a tough spot. 

Team needs a shake and feel this may be the piece that will get moved. 
I like Boeser, seems like a great human but has not developed into the assassin he looked like as a rookie. 
We need to move on from some high priced player and in general we have better prospects on the wing. 
Nobody wants OEL’s contract, JTM is probably better to re-sign, would be challenge to move Myers and probably not moving on from Bo so where else can you clear significant amount of space.   Kind of down to Garland and Boeser if Allvin wants to put his stamp on team. I prefer keeping the one that drags people into the fight than the one that needs dragging. 
And no, nobody is lining up for Dickinson or Poolman.  Pearson has NMC.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I got the sense from Allvin's interview yesterday that not much had happened yet, really hard to say why. Brock's agent could have the strategy to wait and get Brock to UFA status and a big payday asap. Brock can always take less money, right now that contract QO has really put us in a tough spot. 

That's my point if they don't want to talk we know where they stand and it's time to get the most that we can for him.  With 5 people in the front office they can't have the excuse that they where unprepared. They need to be ahead of the game.

Personally unless he has one heck of what's left of the season (and or post season ... know that's far fetched now ), i think the team is taking him to arbitrators.    The he will get 85% a slight raise for one year and we can deal with him at next years TDL...or re-sign him.   It's either that or a term deal around what he's getting now for 4 years that's about it. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I see a Debrusk-type scenario where he signs below his QO for whatever term that takes him to UFA, then the team gages the market and moves him for whatever reasonable offer presents itself at the right time before his extension expires. 

• Like 2
  • Vintage 2

10 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I think the team would select arbitration before that happened. 

Can we back out  of the arbitrator's decision if it's too high?  Let's say he comes in at 6.5 on the one year arbed deal.  Maybe the 6.5 is worth more than he is, so we walk away?  

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I think the team would select arbitration before that happened. 

Me too.  Then he's going to play his ass off or end up as a UFA with not a lot of suitors.   Puts 100% of the onus on him to make it work.   

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Can we back out  of the arbitrator's decision if it's too high?  Let's say he comes in at 6.5 on the one year arbed deal.  Maybe the 6.5 is worth more than he is, so we walk away?  

It won't.  Not unless he's had one heck of a final 20ish games and he knows that.  Personally i think he'd likely take a 5 x 5 deal at this point. 

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

nope, its binding. 

42 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

In Allwin's presser, it sounded to me that he was talking Brock up, "good young player, etc".

That might have been sales talk; in negotiations him, I imagine it will be a much more stern conversation.

If he will not take considerably less than his QO, then we move to the next step in the process.

Brock has not been the same, imo since Clusterphook busted his back.

Also, it seems his shot is a lot worse and maybe these things improve, but maybe they don't.

At present, he is not much of a skater, and not much of a 'sniper'.

Very risky to re-sign Brock for too much money imo, and then nobody will give us much in a trade either.

I'm in at 5.5 - 6.0 max; and not too much term either.

Love the guy, but we gotta Win The Cup!

What is the next step in the process. If he refuses to sign for anything less than his QO then he goes to arbitration. Either way it looks to me like we are going to be stuck with an overpayed Brock. Thats why I was hoping to take even a lower return at the deadline and use his money to sign someone more consistent

11 minutes ago, thrago said:

That's my point if they don't want to talk we know where they stand and it's time to get the most that we can for him.  With 5 people in the front office they can't have the excuse that they where unprepared. They need to be ahead of the game.

I don't get the sense thats the issue. If there's no urgency from Brock's agent, there isn't anything Allvin et al can do about it. So they are as prepared as they can be imo.

I think we're probably moving on from Brock this offseason.

Edited by JM_
  • Upvote 2

He doesn’t move the needle enough to warrant an expensive long term deal. He’s really a complementary piece on a good team, and shouldn’t be viewed as a core member of this group moving forwards. Doesn’t drive the play and we need play drivers. Plus, his skating and puck handling skills are below average and are only going to deteriorate over the next few seasons. 

• Upvote 2