The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks @ Colorado Avalanche | 630pm PST | SNET1 "The Uno"

Rate this topic

diesel_3

16 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

How long have you watched Canucks hockey? The success in the early 90s and subsequent 94 cup run was not due to a rebuild, but rather keeping the main core and making a few astute trades to add missing pieces. No reason why this can’t be done again now.

Lol, I was at a bunch of the home games in ‘94.

And the 90’s are long gone. The game today, with the salary cap, can’t be compared to that era. Need a core of elite, young talent on team friendly deals. Colorado did it right…and more recently the Rangers. 

The Avalanche went from basement dwellers to a top team in the Western Conference in 3 years. 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Do teams that want to get the high picks (top 3) tank with a goalie like Demko?  It can't be done.  

I agree Alf

The first thing you need to do when you start a re whatever, rebuild, retool is get a franchise goalie. Check, Pat Quinn  did it with Mclean.

Then work on getting a franchise D man. Quinn is making the case thats him. We still need to find one more really good RHD to play top four minutes. Myers is not really a top 4  OEL has been a let down in my mind.

The next step is Center. Horvat , Miller are strong as 1-2 and Lammiko looks good on the 4th line. Petterson still looks better on the wing then at C. One more strong Center would be great.

in my mind we need a top 4 RHD and  another strong middle presence.  The really great GMs are the ones that can go from rebuild to challenger. Make the hard decisions.  If anyone thought we were done re-tooling after last season they were wrong the really hard work starts now.

Its taking the team from we can make the playoffs to we can win the cup thats the really hard step.

15 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

I agree Alf

The first thing you need to do when you start a re whatever, rebuild, retool is get a franchise goalie. Check, Pat Quinn  did it with Mclean.

Then work on getting a franchise D man. Quinn is making the case thats him. We still need to find one more really good RHD to play top four minutes. Myers is not really a top 4  OEL has been a let down in my mind.

The next step is Center. Horvat , Miller are strong as 1-2 and Lammiko looks good on the 4th line. Petterson still looks better on the wing then at C. One more strong Center would be great.

in my mind we need a top 4 RHD and  another strong middle presence.  The really great GMs are the ones that can go from rebuild to challenger. Make the hard decisions.  If anyone thought we were done re-tooling after last season they were wrong the really hard work starts now.

Its taking the team from we can make the playoffs to we can win the cup thats the really hard step.

The problem today is simple - player agents over sell their clients and owners wind up paying too much for key positions which doesn't allow to build the entire team properly. 

We are in the top 10 as far as salary cap - yet not in the top 10 in the standings.

5-2 Avs.  

• Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

How long have you watched Canucks hockey? The success in the early 90s and subsequent 94 cup run was not due to a rebuild, but rather keeping the main core and making a few astute trades to add missing pieces. No reason why this can’t be done again now.

The success in 94 was built on a team that had almost no success before they drafted Linden in 88. It took Pat Quinn to keep the team in Vancouver and start rebuilding the team.

First up was get a franchise goalie. Mclean. then he worked on rebuilding the center pool and a captain in Linden. instead of relying on the drafting he made trades and fleeced a couple teams.He built what was at the time the biggest team in the league something we could use now also. Added a superstar in Bure that no one other than Washington had on their radar due to needing to have played enough games to be eligible for the draft.  Success followed as he was able to add pieces through some very astute trades all while not having to worry about a salary cap. This could be the biggest reason for his success at the trade table.

Todays team is very different.We have to rely on the draft as we cannot spend beyond our mistakes at the draft table or in free agency. Signing Myers to 6x6 has been a difficult contract and then taking on OEL has handcuffed us even more. Its not that they are horrible, Myers has been decent at times but not at a 6 million a year pace. OEL has to be the laziest player i have seen in a long time. Hes not the player his contract says he is. I think the only D man who plays above his contract dollars is Luke Schenn. Hes been value for his deal. So we still need D and cap space.  Drafting Jake and Juolevi. Those mistakes move you back a couple years in the rebuild and can make you start over as your core ages past where you sit. We have to be careful as Hughes. Horvat, Petterson and  Demko start to grow into the age of where we need them to compete or we will be back at step 1 again.

Up front its really hard to see what a trade would do especially if we moved a JT Miller however when they traded Linden for Bertuzzi and Mc Cabe it ripped the heart out of this team for a couple years. But it was the right move at the right time. Bertuzzi became the power forward we never had, Mc Cabe played well until he was part of the trade deals that became the Sedins.In order to get to the next level we need to be open to these kind of deals again.It would be short term pain for long term gain. I love what JT brings to this team. But we need to move past where we are right now and get better, faster, bigger, stronger and younger. it may take moving a key piece at this time but we need more than just adding a couple pieces. I think we still need another top 4 D man and another center as Petterson isnt really growing in that area. Hes a better winger. 

What happens next well we may go on a run and make the playoffs, but i think thats unlikely as this team looks completely spent just trying to get back into the picture. Before the draft we may make a move, JT would be great to see in our Uniform next season  but either he or Brock are getting dealt here at some point. thats my thought. It may have to happen to move up in the league.

• Cheers 1

51 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

That is the problem with Canadian teams. The plan is to get good enough to scrape into playoffs and hope goalie gets hot. 
Would rather take the time to build a perennial contender. Just wasted almost a decade trying to stay competitive and end result is a small, slow, soft capped out non-playoff team. 

How is this a Canadian issue? Canada clearly has a tax disadvantage but many teams suffer from impatience, Northern and Southern.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NHTyrany said:

How is this a Canadian issue? Canada clearly has a tax disadvantage but many teams suffer from impatience, Northern and Southern.

totally agree and this has to be addressed by the league as the Florida teams have a huge advantage in this and can basically add one to two players based on tax difference alone.

8 minutes ago, NHTyrany said:

It just seems to be the model most Canadian teams use. Toronto did it for decades, Edmonton is trying to do it without the goalie, it is  how Winnipeg has been last several years. 
Lots of reasons for it, toxic fan bases, bad owners and management and a perceived inability to attract the big name players. 

With our playoff chances waning, part of my interest is also waning. Been finding last few games, when the Canucks surrender early goals  in quick succession, its hard to stay interested in following the rest of the game.

Hope for a W to keep the chances alive.

• Cheers 2

35 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

Lol, I was at a bunch of the home games in ‘94.

And the 90’s are long gone. The game today, with the salary cap, can’t be compared to that era. Need a core of elite, young talent on team friendly deals. Colorado did it right…and more recently the Rangers. 

The Avalanche went from basement dwellers to a top team in the Western Conference in 3 years. 

Well if you want to be factual, it’s been six years. This will be their 5th year in at row making the playoffs, all of these seasons at + .600 hockey with the past 2 seasons being the peak. 
The core 4 players + have been with the team the past 4 years. Key additions have been made through trade (Kadri, Burakovsky) and draft (Makar).

But whatever fits your narrative I guess.

36619BA1-2BB1-4A5B-B6C3-59407418B418.png

41392165-0D5E-41E4-BBB4-D8F3DCBCD23E.png

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

totally agree and this has to be addressed by the league as the Florida teams have a huge advantage in this and can basically add one to two players based on tax difference alone.

It actually undermines the intended purpose of the cap (equal opportunity), unless fraking Canadian teams was the ulterior motive. But as Mikey stated, we have some bad valued contracts and wasted picks to add to our woes. It's a trifecta...

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

That is the problem with Canadian teams. The plan is to get good enough to scrape into playoffs and hope goalie gets hot. 
Would rather take the time to build a perennial contender. Just wasted almost a decade trying to stay competitive and end result is a small, slow, soft capped out non-playoff team. 

Canadian teams are up against a fixed system.

Except the center of the universe, Tranna of course, but they create their own misery.

Here's my plan:

Stay the course, fix what we can in the off season.

Add some really tough guys to Abby; preferably fast-skating, take no prisoners guys.

They stay down there protecting our development system (beating the Marchand out of anyone who even looks at our young guns).

Then, come playoffs, bring 'em up like the Hansen Brothers and beat the Marchand out of everybody!

Cup.

4 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

It just seems to be the model most Canadian teams use. Toronto did it for decades, Edmonton is trying to do it without the goalie, it is  how Winnipeg has been last several years. 
Lots of reasons for it, toxic fan bases, bad owners and management and a perceived inability to attract the big name players. 

IDK, many US teams have similar approaches, look at California. What do you do about the numerous first overall picks for Edmonton. Was it a patience issue, contract timing issues, or just plain incompetence. Wish Vancouver would have had the same dilemma--too many top picks in too short of time.

Wonder if the new guys will be ready to go for this game.  Would like to get a look at Richie and though I'm happy he's back I hope he's still got game.  Also hope we get to see Dermott - Burroughs pairing, that could really round out the D core. 

It's make it or break it time and we'll see if these minor tweaks can give the boys an extra boost to keep it interesting until the end.  Definitely want to see if this management team can bear some fruit this early with these minor tweaks to the roster.   While I don't think we'll make the playoffs, it's been a fun ride and it will be one of the most anticipated off season in a while.

I like the idea of the additions and while I did not like losing Motte we've created a bit more cap, rounded out the roster and still have more cap flexibility this off season with contracts coming off the books.  

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Canadian teams are up against a fixed system.

Except the center of the universe, Tranna of course, but they create their own misery.

Here's my plan:

Stay the course, fix what we can in the off season.

Add some really tough guys to Abby; preferably fast-skating, take no prisoners guys.

They stay down there protecting our development system (beating the Marchand out of anyone who even looks at our young guns).

Then, come playoffs, bring 'em up like the Hansen Brothers and beat the Marchand out of everybody!

Cup.

Interesting idea and I agree about the need for size and might but how do you convince their agents to keep them buried there if they are NHL ready? If they are new draft picks, how do you know when or if they would be NHL ready?

• Cheers 1