The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks @ Colorado Avalanche | 630pm PST | SNET1 "The Uno"

Rate this topic

diesel_3

I don't get caught up in the playoff chase because, well, it is what it is and my worrying won't change things. Just want good hockey all the way through and then hope for that to line up. I love how the team turned things around so that this IS still considered meaningful hockey to some degree...in December we would have never expected that.

I know the management team is very carefully looking toward the future without completely sabotaging things and resetting from scratch. That's so painful and requires patience. We have some really good pieces in place and that much I know for sure. 

Just ask for a solid effort, start to finish. Against the Av's, that the only chance (I was there at the thriller vs them when we won in OT 5-4...let's have another game like that one!!)

GO CANUCKS GO

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

I have this "let down" feeling nd the game isn't even started.  Yesterday I felt sort of positive . Happy Motte played so well last night but  wish he was still here. I think we will miss him  and the energy he brought.  OK this is not that ki.nd of thread.

Go Canucks Go

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Just ask for a solid effort, start to finish. Against the Av's, that the only chance (I was there at the thriller vs them when we won in OT 5-4...let's have another game like that one!!)

Yeah, we don't care if they get the loser point.

I don't care if its the ugliest game ever.

Just win baby!

Win, win, win, and we're in!

36 minutes ago, diesel_3 said:

I remember watching this scrap as a kid thinking Jovo Cop was an absolute killer.

For any young fans, Adam Deadmarsh never played after this due to concussions.

Jovo fought with an "all in" style. He'd lose or win big.

Deadmarsh did play a few years after this tilt, but was never as big a factor in the game, despite one 62 point season with L.A.

27 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Col is looking pretty top heavy and im not liking their 3rd d pair too much.

Missing landeskog n byram.

Yeah but unfortunately they still have Mckinnon, Rantenen and Makar. Would anyone not give up any player we have not named Demko for either McKinnon or Makar?

50 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

Yep, this is the worst place to be. 

The best thing for our long term success would be a true tear-it-down rebuild then drafting and building up a stable of young, elite talent. But this ownership, clearly, has no appetite for this.

Nor do I. We just went through 8 years of Ho hum hockey. I don’t want 8 more.

• Vintage 1

55 minutes ago, diesel_3 said:

I remember watching this scrap as a kid thinking Jovo Cop was an absolute killer.

For any young fans, Adam Deadmarsh never played after this due to concussions.

Always liked Adam Deadmarch. Good Fruitvale boy. Not sure where he is today? Concussions finished his career.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Locke Lamora said:

I want to see my team win The Cup before I die. 

And if a rebuild takes 8 years you are doing it, very, very wrong.

Then we have been doing it very very wrong. Too many people here want to start over, I disagree.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, gurn said:

Jovo fought with an "all in" style. He'd lose or win big.

Deadmarsh did play a few years after this tilt, but was never as big a factor in the game, despite one 62 point season with L.A.

Oh wow, you're right!

I always thought that was it for him, thanks for correcting me!

• Cheers 1

Just now, CaptKirk888 said:

Then we have been doing it very very wrong. Too many people here want to start over, I disagree.

But that’s the thing, we have not committed to a proper rebuild. The ownership, as many have said before, don’t have the stones for it. Looks like quite a few fans don’t either. We are likely going to tinker around the edges and continue to exist in the “mushy middle” and just pray that one day perhaps we make the playoffs and make some sort of Cinderella run. So, enjoy.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

My prediction? Not so good.................

pain GIF         yahoo tv periscope GIF

Just put Halak in there so we have someone to pile on after the game, we can only be pleasantly surprised then

Edited by theochar
i got some more
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Despite trading Motte, the playoff watch continues until we’re mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. But I don’t have much hope considering how tough this road trip will be.

This will be the "meat grinder" road trip, at least we aren't expecting much. 

34 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

I don't get caught up in the playoff chase because, well, it is what it is and my worrying won't change things. Just want good hockey all the way through and then hope for that to line up. I love how the team turned things around so that this IS still considered meaningful hockey to some degree...in December we would have never expected that.

I know the management team is very carefully looking toward the future without completely sabotaging things and resetting from scratch. That's so painful and requires patience. We have some really good pieces in place and that much I know for sure. 

GO CANUCKS GO

I am surprised to hear you say you aren’t caught up in the playoff chase Deb. You were pretty adamant about not moving Miller in hopes he would carry the team to playoffs. If the team had a better d-core I might have agreed with this. 

Like you there has to be some trust that Rutherford and Co. can make the right moves this off season. I am hoping the org becomes more focussed and directed towards winning a Cup. That sounds foolish as Benning and Green were doing their best. My point being that the team has to come first. Moving Motte out was a clear indication of that. Moving any player is justified if the result improves the outlook for a Cup. As fans we see players come, develop, mature and gain some success. The Twins were classic examples. 

For me the focal point for the rest of this season will be in Abby. The last win has put them into a playoff position. A deep Calder run would be cathartic for the entire org. There are young prospects who will gain from such a drive. Hopefully it will attract some NCAA signings. Would love to see Podz close his season in Abby. 

11 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

But that’s the thing, we have not committed to a proper rebuild. The ownership, as many have said before, don’t have the stones for it. Looks like quite a few fans don’t either. We are likely going to tinker around the edges and continue to exist in the “mushy middle” and just pray that one day perhaps we make the playoffs and make some sort of Cinderella run. So, enjoy.

The thing is, the Canucks have a decent starting point right now with good players to build around, we do not need a full re-build.

We have Demko, Petey, Miller, Hughes, Bo, Brock and to a lesser extent Podz and Hogs will be good 2nd/3rd liners.

What we are drastically lacking is a good supporting cast, and decent defence. The problem is, JB signed players to high value contracts that we can't get out of because nobody else wants to have these players on their team at that cost. So the new management is in a tough spot to try and get a good supporting cast around our top players with how our cap situation is.

We don't need a full re-build, but we do need to re-tool, which likely means we will be trading from a position of strength to help our weakness (defense).