The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Dallas Stars | Mar. 26, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

8 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Great effort by the team tonight.  Demko's acrobatic stick-less performance will go down in history as one of the best goaltending displays in team history.   Glad I was alive to witness that which will go down in canucks folklore.

Amazing!

8 hours ago, viking mama said:

I said it too!  That save could likely be  his best save of record as a Canuck.

Yes or no?

Try finding an example that tops it.

Nov. 2nd 2021 vs Rangers. I have posted the vid.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, iinatcc said:

It's a shame it's not going to matter this season. You can say "oh this is good for next season" but no coaching bump, different roster (no guarantee if it will be better or worse), OEL getting older, if Demko could keep up his performance etc.

It may just be all for naught.

It matters to the players and the die hard fans.  

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Devron said:

Saw the slowmo video of the Pettersson second goal and it’s actually ridiculous. He changes the angle, puts it through the dmans legs and places a perfect shot. Unreal 

Also Agree on the Flames. Pukey puke. Fortunately the had to beat the Oilers for our sake. I ain’t going praise them though 

Yeah that shot reminded me of Nazzy. When Petey's on his game, along with Miller, this team is hard to stop.

Btw, I think it was a forward, Pavelski, who had no idea how to defend that shot properly. When Petey gets those shots off against elite defenceman, he will score 40+.

• Cheers 1

These next 3 games plus last night so 4 games in a row here will make or break our season.

Home and home with the blues before a long 3 day break between a huge game against Vegas. These long breaks suck especially when you're watching other teams make up their games in hand.

We have to go on a 4 game win streak here 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

These next 3 games plus last night so 4 games in a row here will make or break our season.

Home and home with the blues before a long 3 day break between a huge game against Vegas. These long breaks suck especially when you're watching other teams make up their games in hand.

We have to go on a 4 game win streak here 

Crush Vegas combined with Oilers slip, then we can get in as #3 in the Pacific.

The last game of the season against the Oilers... That game could decide the playoff fate of the two teams.

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, khay said:

Yeah that shot reminded me of Nazzy. When Petey's on his game, along with Miller, this team is hard to stop.

Btw, I think it was a forward, Pavelski, who had no idea how to defend that shot properly. When Petey gets those shots off against elite defenceman, he will score 40+.

I would say that is some pretty good hockey IQ with Petey identifying the defender is actually a forward. He needs to take advantage of those opportunities more in the future.  I must say Pettersson's play is night and day this season. He's really stepped up his game since playing on the PK, he looks engaged,  and is a driving force that's looks like he's just catching up now.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CanucksFan8353 said:

Go back to the 2011 President Trophy run.  I'm pretty sure we had similar stats in a lot of the categories that you just mentioned in the regular season and it didn't matter come playoff time.  I mean, I would argue that we didn't play well at all in the 2011 playoffs.  Chicago, the 8th seed, came back from 3-0 down and what was it, hit a post on a PP in OT in Game 7 to avoid humiliating us.  We only got past Nashville because of one guy, Kessler.  We were basically no-shows in the SCF.  What was it? Something like just 10 goals in the whole series?  Also, how many games in that playoff run did we lose by like 5-6+ goals.

Also,  I don't think anyone could have predicted the Kings would make a mockery of us in 5 games in the second president's trophy year, 2012.

Analytically, one should pick Calgary to stomp us 7 days a week 100% of the time but the same argument could have been made for us in 2011 and 2012.  I was with you back then on stats.  We swept a lot of those categories in the regular season and thought there was no way we could lose but those regular season stats meant nothing from Game 4 on of the Chicago series.  

Also, President Trophy's winners should win the Cup near 100% of the time if these stats really matter, but the President's Trophy is decidedly not a guarantee of the cup.

It's not called the president trophy's curse for nothing.  The stats would suggest Calgary towers over us, yes, but the 3 games against them so far this year don't bear that out even. Now, I know that Calgary is not winning the PT but they are still in the hunt, at least, for it.

EDIT:  I'm just saying I think the cup is won on intangibles rather than stats.  One of those intangibles is Sutter.  He's won 3 cups already, right? Crosby and Toews have only won 3 each.  Hard to see Sutter getting 4 cups in 10 years in this era of parity.

Sutter has two cups, no? Both with LA?

One minor weakness of the Flames, which may now have been addressed is the secondary scoring.

Gaudreau-Lindholm-Tkachuk line is elite with all 3 guys being 30 goal scorers.

In a tight checking playoff series, teams will find a way to shut down that line. And when that happens, will the Flames be able to score enough goals? 

Obviously, they knew that was their weakness and acquired Toffoli, who is playing very well. Manginapne is a 30 goal scorer so there's that their secondary scoring.

Will it be enough against the Avs? Panthers? Canes? Bolts?

I like their chance of reaching the WCF and possibly coming out of the West, but I don't think they will win the cup this year. 

Cup winner will be from the East. Likely a Florida team, if not the Canes.

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes that’s why it would have been better to keep Motte than switch him for geriatric Richardson. 

the fallout from letting motte walk and getting nothing in return would have been awful

and our cupboards are so empty, they cant afford to do that imo

• Cheers 1

17 hours ago, Iron Man said:

And the people who were bagging on Bo. The dude almost has 30 goals.

He has all of the tools to be a consistent 30 goal scorer. That's why people bag on him. 

It's just whether or not Bo wants to put in the work to be that guy. Most of us see his potential and know that he's capable of being a first line player. 

It's like watching Petey earlier in the year not skate, not shoot, not go to the net, etc. 

Nobody is gonna slag Bo when he plays the way he can because he's a fantastic player when he's invested. But too often he tends to take nights off where he doesn't do the little things that will lead him to success. 

25 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Its scary to think about how good he's going to be

In a few years, he's going to be the guy who puts the team on his back and steals us the win singlehandedly. 

I hope you're right but I really don't see it lol. 

I think we all hope he will turn out that way, but man there's a lot of finger crossing going on there. 

• Upvote 1