The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Boudreau coming back?

Rate this topic

Canuckfanforlife82

1 minute ago, stawns said:

What didn't you like about OEL?  He's had a solid year

My complaint from OEL has been his lack of production, but some of that can be chalked up to how he's been utilized with Hughes also being a part of our D core. I think he's capable of more, and I think we'd be a more effective team if our coaching staff were able to utilize him offensively more. A player like him doesn't just suddenly forget how to play an offensive game. 

But that also speaks to the quality of the rest of our D core aside from him and Hughes. Myers and OEL have eaten tough minutes, we need to up the caliber of our entire D so as to free up players like him to generate offense. The drop off from Hughes to the rest of our D as far as production goes is a huge problem and part of why I'm not as sold on our D this season as others have been. We need two legitimate top 4D on the right side sooner than later, preferably on the younger side. 

So I suppose it's not so much of a critique of OEL individually, but our D as a whole is weak and it weighs on him as one of the better caliber D we actually have. I don't think this roster, as structured, is good enough. 

2 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Kind of makes sense neither Allvin nor Rutherford picked Boudreau and Boudreau probably has more options now after a good win loss record he did in Vancouver.

To be honest Boudreau is starting to look a bit deflated sometimes so maybe he would like to try other options especially when coaching positions open up after the season ends 

4 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

FWIW:

I love Boudreau, I posted several photos of him a day to manifest him getting hired (hehe). But Maurice would be a great coach for the line-up that's currently assembled; he definitely would've been my number 1 choice to take over for Green if he was looking for work at the time. Scott Walker (and Sutter) were on Maurice's team that made it to the conference finals in 2009, and Myers & Poolman were part of the Winnipeg conference finals team in 2018. And of course Rutherford is very familiar with him.

Maurice is an interesting thought but you just can't fire or move on from Bruce after the work he's put in with this team - it would be too damaging to the fans and maybe even the players. These players have seen so much change in personnel over the last 3-4 years, JB basically dismantled the team every chance he got. Now finally we have some stability, a relatively calm trade deadline, and we're playing the best hockey we have in years at around a .63 win % with Bruce. No coach who I can remember has had a chant in Rogers Arena.

Management would be foolish to get rid of Bruce, he deserves a solid off-season with the same unit to prepare for next season purely on the half a season he's had, and surely shouldn't be blamed for missing the playoffs. After next year Bruce'll be much older and then certainly if he wants to move on and retire (depending on how the season goes) I'd be open to a new NHL coach, but not yet - he's only coached half a season and he's done it brilliantly.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Maurice is an interesting thought but you just can't fire or move on from Bruce after the work he's put in with this team - it would be too damaging to the fans and maybe even the players. These players have seen so much change in personnel over the last 3-4 years, JB basically dismantled the team every chance he got. Now finally we have some stability, a relatively calm trade deadline, and we're playing the best hockey we have in years at around a .63 win % with Bruce. No coach who I can remember has had a chant in Rogers Arena.

Management would be foolish to get rid of Bruce, he deserves a solid off-season with the same unit to prepare for next season purely on the half a season he's had, and surely shouldn't be blamed for missing the playoffs. After next year Bruce'll be much older and then certainly if he wants to move on and retire (depending on how the season goes) I'd be open to a new NHL coach, but not yet - he's only coached half a season and he's done it brilliantly.

Maurice 100% 

I like Boudreau but come on the guy is too old surprised he didn't break his hip at practice he can barely skate.  

11 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Maurice 100% 

I like Boudreau but come on the guy is too old surprised he didn't break his hip at practice he can barely skate.  

I do agree that Maurice may be a bit more of a long term coach but he's only really a .500 coach. I'd rather get 1 good year out of Bruce then he retires and after that we look for a solid NHL coach - you know there'll be plenty of new ones in a couple of years.

I really wanted management to go after Gallant in the offseason when they stuck with Green instead...

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I do agree that Maurice may be a bit more of a long term coach but he's only really a .500 coach. I'd rather get 1 good year out of Bruce then he retires and after that we look for a solid NHL coach - you know there'll be plenty of new ones in a couple of years.

I really wanted management to go after Gallant in the offseason when they stuck with Green instead...

Most of the seasons he had under .500 were 2003-04 and earlier. He's only had 3 seasons below 0.500 since. Records are also very much reliant on having a good team in front of you and most of the teams in front of him before Winnipeg haven't exactly been great.

13 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Well the Gallant bus left. I think you're wildly under rating Maurice as just a .500 coach. 

3 hours ago, hammertime said:

Well the Gallant bus left. I think you're wildly under rating Maurice as just a .500 coach. 

I agree he'd be a good coach, he did wonders in Winnipeg recently but it would be a hard slap in the face to Bruce, the players who like him and many fans who love him. Timing-wise it'd be bad.

You fire a coach if they're not performing or have the team playing poorly, not if a better option comes up. 

Is Bruce failing at his job? He's got the same team (on paper) that Green had who was 7 games below .500 and has brough them up to 6 games above .500. I'd say he's doing pretty well then.

You just don't see it across the league very often, if at all, that a team will fire a winning coach just because there's a better option out there. I think it's probably bad karma.

The only caveat would be if Bruce has explicitly said he doesn't want to coach here next year or is thinking of retiring very soon. I think if Bruce wants to come back for another year you have to give it to him. 

If we suck next year then sure, it's a different story, but firing a winning coach won't sit well with a lot of people, even though I agree Bruce isn't a long term solution. I still think the way our young stars are playing well under him, there's a lot they could learn from him for another year.

I would like a more tactical coach like Maurice, think he would work well to clean up this team's very shoddy defence and I think he'd improve players like Miller, Myers, Horvat, our D in general and Demko. However, it may restrict more skilled guys like Petey and Hughes a bit...

No. They're establishing a relationship with him and still need to grow under his system and style. He's the guy this line up needs right now.

Will he take us all the way? I'm guessing not. Who knows. But for sure he should stick around till he gets a chance to see how and what he does with the line up the new brass gives him.

Those suggesting that BB is too old and should retire, I would ask them to consider the age of the coach of the Houston Astros as an example.  Dusty Baker is 72 years old and still going strong.  He is able to handle a long preseason, long season, long games, and then there is the playoffs.  My point is this: Just because there may be snow on the roof, there may still be fire in the fireplace.  If BB keeps inspiring the players like he has this half season, offer him a contract.  Let him make the decision about his future.

But looking at the team, it kind of reminds me of the Canucks during the WCE days.  The half season before the Canucks took off, they pushed hard that second half of the season but just missed the playoffs.  That next season the Canucks story changed. Right coach at the right time and is getting results is a win.  It was so much fun hearing Crow chirping from the bench.

Edited by The Colt 45s
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

On 4/7/2022 at 9:56 PM, DownUndaCanuck said:

Exactly why it makes zero sense to not bring him back. Even if they want to in bring in someone else, give the team one more year of Bruce for their own sanity if for nothing else l. They have played great under him. Last thing our core guys need is a new coach, new systems, and high potential for another slow start. Give them some stability with the same coach that was finally able to get results for at least one more year. His contract will be up at that point, make the decision then. Team option makes sense if we $&!# the bed, but we have played very well with him so it's a no brainer to bring him back. If they don't bring him back and the team faulters out of the gates next year, that's on management and I won't give them a free pass. Neither should anyone else just because they are new. It would be an atrocious move and up there with some of the worst Benning ever did. 

Also for all the talk about if management wants to "build for a few years down the road" how do we think our core players will feel about that? Especially with the way they have played under BB. 

5 minutes ago, cdgraham said:

Honestly I will lose almost all faith in this management almost instantly if one of their first moves is not bringing back BB in favour of Maurice. Simply put, BB is a superior coach in every way. Look at their records and watch their teams play.  I have no faith Paul Maurice would be the guy to get us anywhere. For all the talk about BB failures in the playoffs, you have to at least get there first which he does. Not to mention, I would imagine he has learned a thing or two from those failures. Besides, just give him another year. Replacing him with Maurice would be a f*cking joke. 

Edited by cdgraham
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1