The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Vegas Golden Knights | Apr. 06, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, iinatcc said:

I slightly disagree. Even if the first 25 games played out much better the season and considering the team is capped out, at best this team looks to be an above average bubble team. Even Rutherford said something similar. 

The team needs either a massive retool or flat out rebuild. I agree on building whatever core around Demko, Petey, and Hughes but I can see team having much success keeping the other players around. 

As I mentioned before Canucks are in a cycle of death due to mis managed cap for half a decade now. I think the only way to break this cycle is to recoup players like Miller, Boeser, Horvat, Pearson and even Garland and maybe OEL for assets. Use the assets to build the team right around the 3 players you mentioned

I guess we’ll see but I doubt new management does anything that drastic.  I think they shuffle a forward out and try to use that value to add a stronger partner for Hughes.  Maybe some mid-level moves like Pearson or Dickinson (if there’s takers) but if you do a deep flush you’re going to miss Demko’s prime and Petey isn’t coming back.  

Blame Benning I guess but the path is kind of set to at least try to maintain competitiveness in the short term from what I can see.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Last 20 games:

Connor McDavid - 33 points

Jonathan Huberdeau - 32 points

Leon Draisaitl - 31 points

Elias Pettersson - 26 points

Get the f*** out of here that Petey isn't a superstar...

Almost like he lit a fire under peteys donkey. 

1 minute ago, Viper007 said:

Or you can say that his wrist was finally healed, and he's playing like he usually does.

Heck of a coincidence that his wrist healed the day after Allvin said that so he could get a 4 point night.

Too bad though, i was hoping we had a GM who figured out how to get his team to work harder.

Edited by Nucklefuts

1 hour ago, ForestFalcon said:

Fantastic game by the Canucks, let's go streaking to finish things off! And even if we're a longshot to make it, here's hoping we get to put the dagger into Vegas come Tuesday!

Really impressive win tonight, especially with the guys that were missing. That may have been the best game of EP40s young career the guy is turning into one hell of a defensive weapon. Still prefer him as a centre but with injuries our wing depth is to weak for 3 lines but at least he's not playing with Horvat, not a fan of them playing together.  Petey is too good of a goal scorer to be the 2nd option.

I have liked him with Pearson they have good chemistry while allowing him to be the main option but at the same time Pearson has a great shot and petey is an excellent playmaker so for me we get the most out of Petey that way. Throw Podz with them since all 3 have shown they work well together. 

I know the odds don't favor us and missing Brock, Hogz and Tucker doesn't help and we basically need to go 9-0-1 but we did win 8 in a row against much better teams compared to our remaining schedule. We would need the Demko we saw tonight and Petey, Horvat and JT all need too keep playing  their best hockey of the year. Tall order obviously but that's why they play the games.

9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Last 20 games:

Connor McDavid - 33 points

Jonathan Huberdeau - 32 pointsh

Leon Draisaitl - 31 points

Elias Pettersson - 26 points

Get the f*** out of here that Petey isn't a superstar...

he is vancouver's best player

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, iinatcc said:

I often wondered why hockey players would rather play in markets where the respective NHL is a secondary or even tertiary sports team in that market. 

These players, especially the star players, get paid pro-athlete money but don't want the pressure associated with it.

It's a big contrast from the NBA where star players big market teams like the Lakers where the pressure from both fans and the media is on the players to perform 

I kind of wish NHL players were like that and not shy away from the scrutiny that comes with being a pro athlete. It's almost like a chest code NHL players can take advantage of

It's tiresome as a fan and most likely for players as well to always hear constant negativity in a market like Vancouver.  

If I was a hockey player, I would bolt down to California or an American city the first chance I had.  Going to see friends and family after games/practices and not worrying about what toxic rumours/slants they heard about you would be one of the most important perks for millionaires. 

8 minutes ago, canuckpuckluck1 said:

I know it was the EP show but I honestly thought it was Podkolzins best game as a Canuck yet.

He was a beast, continuously threatening the opposing players, winning battles and unlucky not to get a few points. I am wildly excited about his future. May not have the flash of some of his young peers but I really see Podkolzin being built for the playoffs. I think he will thrive in those games.

The Canucks have a real good one in this young man!

Extremely happy with Podz as well!  

I can't wait to see what years 4 and 5 of his career look like. 

2 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Extremely happy with Podz as well!  

I can't wait to see what years 4 and 5 of his career look like. 

Bingo, might be a slower build to his peak but he's going to be a monster in his prime years.

Wasn't expecting him to light the world on fire this year, just get marginally better & better as he gained confidence. I'd say that's about what's happened.

22 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Taking a team’s record after they replaced a coach who was clearly having a negative psychological effect on the team isn’t cherry picking.  Even if you think this team peaks at mediocre, they were seriously underperforming under Green the last year and a half of his tenure.  Again, that’s not cherry picking - an arbitrary start point like New Years has no impact on team play, unlike the impact of a coach. 

I said in my post there’s a lot of room to grow.  How much can Boudreau instil mid season?  I’d say if anything the team took a step back under Green this year - so they need to learn how to manage the grind of making the playoffs.  They haven’t figured it out yet but I’d bet next year they’re more likely to improve than regress.

how are u not cherry picking? you are trying to say well we've been great under Bruce we are 26-14-8 under boudreau but u failed to look at how we've played since end of december.. if the wins in december were more spread out in jan feb mar april then ya i would agree we are playing at a playoff clip.. but since december we are barely over .500 and have been for 3months now.. so i dunno how u can take the success we had in december and average it out and say we have been a good team for 4 months and playing at a playoff clip when really we have been good for 1 month and average for the last 3. 

5 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

how are u not cherry picking? you are trying to say well we've been great under Bruce we are 26-14-8 under boudreau but u failed to look at how we've played since end of december.. if the wins in december were more spread out in jan feb mar april then ya i would agree we are playing at a playoff clip.. but since december we are barely over .500 and have been for 3months now.. so i dunno how u can take the success we had in december and average it out and say we have been a good team for 4 months and playing at a playoff clip when really we have been good for 1 month and average for the last 3. 

Except that a coach's record is averaged over all the game's he's in charge... not just some of them.

Chicago switched coach's midway through the season too... and they got a bounce too...  not as good as the Canucks and their record lately has been cr*p.

Boudreau should be given credit for his season.

This team has looked at an uphill fight since BB arrived... the fact they have persevered as well as they have is a good sign.  I would not be surprised to see they let up at the end... if they are eliminated.  But so far they continue to put an effort in.

Edited by *Buzzsaw*
  • Vintage 1