The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Blackhawks to retire Marian Hossa’s No. 81

Rate this topic

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to Blackhawks to retire Marian Hossa’s No. 81

couldn't care less for that tinted visor wearing moron. I got major douche vibes from him (then again, that entire blackhawks team were filled with douches)

Yeah he won his cups but I'll fondly remember the times he failed with both Detroit and Pittsburgh in winning the cup and his face both those times during the handshake line.

Edited by PetterssonOrPeterson

2 hours ago, Iron Man said:

Just make sure he doesn't touch the banner otherwise he will break out in hives leading to more cap relief for the Hawks.

You don't think they would have preferred if he continued playing?  Their moves indicate that they were caught by surprise by him stepping away.  He had 26 goals for them and they finished top of the West his last season.  Toews and Kane were in year 2 of matching 10.5M x 8 year deals.  That off-season, they had traded Panarin and Hjalmarsson in prevision of cap issues.  His retirement precipitated their downfall and they've been spinning their wheels since.

His skin was pealing off.  He couldn't even hold his kids anymore and had to get his blood tested every 2 weeks because of the adverse effect of the medication he was taking.  Not the 1st player to have a skin disorder appear out of nowhere that ended their careers.

Hossa wanted to just walk away but Chicago convinced him to go on LTIR because of that recapture penalty.  Gillis expected Luongo to end on LTIR but Florida convinced him to step away - preferable for them to have a 1.1M recapture penalty for the rest of his contract than operate in LTIR.  Apparently also couldn't have worked for them if he went on LTIR.

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Kind of a confusing jersey retirement to me. Hossa was a great player but he played less than half his career with Chicago and really had his best seasons with other teams. Add to that Chicago being an Original Six team that doesn't really need to go out of their way to fill their rafters.

4 hours ago, Diamonds said:

Kind of a confusing jersey retirement to me. Hossa was a great player but he played less than half his career with Chicago and really had his best seasons with other teams. Add to that Chicago being an Original Six team that doesn't really need to go out of their way to fill their rafters.

He was a major part/frontline player of their 3 Cups, so this is not surprising.

Fantastic, underrated player. The very definition of giving up offensive numbers due to how much effort he exerted playing defense.

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, mll said:

You don't think they would have preferred if he continued playing?  Their moves indicate that they were caught by surprise by him stepping away.  He had 26 goals for them and they finished top of the West his last season.  Toews and Kane were in year 2 of matching 10.5M x 8 year deals.  That off-season, they had traded Panarin and Hjalmarsson in prevision of cap issues.  His retirement precipitated their downfall and they've been spinning their wheels since.

His skin was pealing off.  He couldn't even hold his kids anymore and had to get his blood tested every 2 weeks because of the adverse effect of the medication he was taking.  Not the 1st player to have a skin disorder appear out of nowhere that ended their careers.

Hossa wanted to just walk away but Chicago convinced him to go on LTIR because of that recapture penalty.  Gillis expected Luongo to end on LTIR but Florida convinced him to step away - preferable for them to have a 1.1M recapture penalty for the rest of his contract than operate in LTIR.  Apparently also couldn't have worked for them if he went on LTIR.

This, there are many articles about this that clarify the truth of his retirement. 

This is the NHL’s version of Hot Coffee lawsuit misinformation. 

• Cheers 1

Kind of weird to see a Blackhawks forward with 400 points getting his number retired but he does have three Cups.  Guarantees that Kane, Toews and Keith will be going up there at a minimum.

But there are all kinds of long serving Blackhawks that didn't get that treatment.  I think Dennis Hull might be more deserving.  Doug Wilson is definitely more deserving.  So is Steve Larmer.  Bill Mosienko?  Chris Chelios?

Just for the recent Hawks dynasty alone I would have Hossa behind the three guys I named and probably Seabrook as well for longevity and maybe Sharp too.

Edited by Kevin Biestra

• 5 months later...

Three Cups but I dunno...534 games and 415 points for a forward isn't very much for only the 8th jersey retired on an original 6 team.

I would have him behind Doug Wilson (938 games, 779 points on the blueline and a Norris Trophy), Steve Larmer (891 games, 923 points) and probably some others as well.  Both of those guys aren't in the rafters.  Maybe having a weird number like 81 helped Hossa out a little bit.

Maybe I'd have him behind Bill Mosienko too.

Thoughts...

Edited by Kevin Biestra

11 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Three Cups but I dunno...534 games and 415 points for a forward isn't very much for only the 8th jersey retired on an original 6 team.

I would have him behind Doug Wilson (938 games, 779 points on the blueline and a Norris Trophy), Steve Larmer (891 games, 923 points) and probably some others as well.  Both of those guys aren't in the rafters.  Maybe having a weird number like 81 helped Hossa out a little bit.

Maybe I'd have him behind Bill Mosienko too.

Thoughts...

Not sure they win 3 cups without him. No issue with this jersey retirement from me. 

• Cheers 1