The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Soft hands, great vision, composure, very physical, and ready to go with anyone... what's not to like about Podz?

Rate this topic

*Buzzsaw*

2 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Source?  Almost every site I've seen has him at 6'1" 190. I think that was from his weigh in at camp

Could he be that big?  One day maybe.  Does he need to be?  Not really.  He has tremendous core strength (like Hogs).  Petey should talk to both of them.  The Sedin's too.

He's gaining confidence especially recently.  He'll make us all forget what's his name?  ...Bock Broeser...??? :unsure:

I look at the eye test as those stats are misleading.  Some Russian sites had Podzilla listed at 6'4" 209 pounds.  Does Timo look any bigger than Podzilla on the ice?  The answer is no...

• Vintage 1

40 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Be thankful we have Pods, who plays the right way.  We could have got stuck with that little whiner, coward, selfish pimple Zegras.  

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Pods is the kind of player that wins.  Zegras is a cancer.  Selfish “look at me go mommy” punk.  

You sound like a loser, taking these character assassination attempts at a person you probably have never met or talked too. Selfish players usually don’t lead their team in assists.

Say hi to Torts at the Outdated, Senile Bingo Hall Invitational for me.

• Cheers 4

15 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He had 11 points in 16 games in the 2021 KHL playoffs as a 19 year old.  How many 19 year old Russian players are lighting up the KHL?  What were Panarin's numbers in the KHL when he was 19?

His regular season numbers aren't on that level though. There are times when young players go on a tear during one post season only to get back to earth. Remember Emerson Etem? He has one really good post seasons but was mostly a 0.2 or 0.3 PPG player after that in his NHL career.

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, luongianone said:

He was barely played in the KHL. Once the team knew he was going to the NHL he essentially benched him. He put up good numbers in very limited time. Also played well internationally I believe.

Yeah and he got shuffled around quite a bit but was playing low minutes but his skill and drive was/is undeniable and the Canucks saw that and deemed it worth the 2 yr wait and there's a lot people who are thankful for that.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Master Mind said:

It's honestly quite sad, and embarrassing to the fanbase imo.

No most of the fan base IS embarrassing but there are good fans out there who stay through thick and thin. 

But not only most fans who are embarrassing, so is our Vancouver media writers, and the game commentator's who are arguably even worse. 

6 hours ago, Law of Goalies said:

But it wasn't like OJ was a bad pick. He was ranked higher than a lot of D that was picked after him. Yes, he wasn't the bpa but he was one of the best D available 

Yeah too bad he got injured and never really got going. Seriously too bad though, he put up some good numbers in London and looked pretty damn good but it happens... 

2 hours ago, Master Mind said:

It's honestly quite sad, and embarrassing to the fanbase imo.

Yeah I'm still quite distributed on how people here went along those "Adam Gaudette gave the team covid" rumors. 

Probably the same people who knock on me when I use the media as my source yet, at the same time, somehow find it convenient to believe that stuff about Gaudette or "McCann is a locker room cancer" speculation

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Be thankful we have Pods, who plays the right way.  We could have got stuck with that little whiner, coward, selfish pimple Zegras.  

he really doesn't have that much experience either. 68 KHL games, 70 NHL games. Thats not much, and he's already playing the right way. One more year of NHL experience and he's going to be a top 6 beast. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, iinatcc said:

His regular season numbers aren't on that level though. There are times when young players go on a tear during one post season only to get back to earth. Remember Emerson Etem? He has one really good post seasons but was mostly a 0.2 or 0.3 PPG player after that in his NHL career.

His ice time in the regular season was less than 10 minutes a game.  He got shuffled around as well to the lower league.  He started to light it up in the playoffs and his ice time went up big time.

Emerson Etem is not even in the same stratosphere as Podkolzin.  Etem didn't even know where the defensive zone was.  He was a borderline NHL player.  Podzilla looks like he has the ability to become a star player, 60 points with a great two way game and a power forward to boot.

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Thanks 3

30 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

His ice time in the regular season was less than 10 minutes a game.  He got shuffled around as well to the lower league.  He started to light it up in the playoffs and his ice time went up big time.

Emerson Etem is not even in the same stratosphere as Podkolzin.  Etem didn't even know where the defensive zone was.  He was a borderline NHL player.  Podzilla looks like he has the ability to become a star player, 60 points with a great two way game and a power forward to boot.

Etem had similar zone starts, corsi and points historically.

I think the comparison is dead on....

Issue is some project forward Podkolzin as being more than a 22 pt player and people project backwards Etem being just a 22pt player.

The comp is pretty accurate as at today until Podkolzin can prove otherwise

7 minutes ago, Zfetch said:

Etem had similar zone starts, corsi and points historically.

I think the comparison is dead on....

Issue is some project forward Podkolzin as being more than a 22 pt player and people project backwards Etem being just a 22pt player.

The comp is pretty accurate as at today until Podkolzin can prove otherwise

There is no comparison at all.  Like zero.  Podkolzin already has more points in his rookie season that Etem ever did in his entire career.  Not even sure where you are pulling this comparison from.  Etem was out of the league at age 24.  

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

There is no comparison at all.  Like zero.  Podkolzin already has more points in his rookie season that Etem ever did in his entire career.  Not even sure where you are pulling this comparison from.  Etem was out of the league at age 24.  

Strike 1: They literally both paced 22pts in their rookie years as of now. Their point production in their rookie seasons is identical and any sort of argument against is based on literally nothing other than GP.

Strike 2: I'm also not the poster who pulled this comparison in the first place so perhaps doing one minute of reading would make your points more legitimate.

Thirdly: Where do you see Podkolzin adding 40pts from?

Horvat added 15 goals because he went from a 90SOG rookie season to 200SOG by being a bumper option on the PP. He shoots historically ~15% so that's 15 goals and that explains the majority of his points increase.

Podkolzin shoots at 11%. So he adds 11 more goals if he were to be a primary shooting option on the PP. That brings him to 33 points. Do you think he's gonna make up the other 27pts from apples? Based on his 2 on 1 with Horvat the other day, as well as his overall decision making I find it hard to believe he'll become a large apple provider. 

25 minutes ago, Zfetch said:

Strike 1: They literally both paced 22pts in their rookie years as of now. Their point production in their rookie seasons is identical and any sort of argument against is based on literally nothing other than GP.

Strike 2: I'm also not the poster who pulled this comparison in the first place so perhaps doing one minute of reading would make your points more legitimate.

Thirdly: Where do you see Podkolzin adding 40pts from?

Horvat added 15 goals because he went from a 90SOG rookie season to 200SOG by being a bumper option on the PP. He shoots historically ~15% so that's 15 goals and that explains the majority of his points increase.

Podkolzin shoots at 11%. So he adds 11 more goals if he were to be a primary shooting option on the PP. That brings him to 33 points. Do you think he's gonna make up the other 27pts from apples? Based on his 2 on 1 with Horvat the other day, as well as his overall decision making I find it hard to believe he'll become a large apple provider. 

Strike 1: Podkolzin has actually played an entire season so his numbers don’t have to be prorated like Etem. You have no clue whether Etem would have actually gotten 22 points in a full season as he only played 38 games. 

Strike 2: I have no clue who pulled the comparison so not sure why you’re even continuing to run with it. It’s a pretty lame comparison. Etem is comparable to Petan not Podkolzin. 

Strike 3: So because Podkolzin is currently shooting at 11% as a rookie that means he will never improve on that for the rest of his career?  How exactly do you know this?  He will be a top 6 forward and eventually will play top 6 minutes consistently as well as play on the #1 PP.  That’s his progression. He’s not the type of player who will be out of the league at age 24. His overall skill set and compete level is off the charts. Etem was literally a one dimensional floater his entire 5 year career, which is why he was out of the league at age 24. 

• Cheers 2