The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Soft hands, great vision, composure, very physical, and ready to go with anyone... what's not to like about Podz?

Rate this topic

*Buzzsaw*

56 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

"It is what it is honestly." Actually, no it isn't.

Caufield just went to the cup final, and was their 3rd highest scorer.

While we can all hope Podkolzin will be one of our top scorers and provide sounds defensive play in our next playoff run, it's disingenuous to put him ahead of Caufield who has experience. 

I watched every single Canadiens game that run. Caufield was fine, but he wasn't elite either. He was useless without the puck. That's my point. Podz is built for the playoffs, Caufield will be streaky there, like he was. And just to add to that fact, their entire playoff run lies strictly and exclusively on the backs of 2 players, both of which are not playing this year and coincidentally MTL are last in the league, despite Caufield playing quite decently offensively. It's almost like Caufield was a non-factor in that run, much like every player not named Shea or Carey.

Edited by HorvatToBaertschi

1 hour ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

And just to add to that fact, their entire playoff run lies strictly and exclusively on the backs of 2 players, both of which are not playing this year and coincidentally MTL are last in the league, despite Caufield playing quite decently offensively. It's almost like Caufield was a non-factor in that run, much like every player not named Shea or Carey.

This is completely false.

2 hours ago, Hogs & Podz said:

Boeser was miles better than Player Name Ek the first 2-3 years in the league.  Who'd you rather have now?  There were a lot of good forwards within the top 20 in the 19' draft.  Newhooks looking great... Krebes as well.  These guys including Caulfield and Boldy (whom by the way, in my book, was neck and neck my favorite with Podz) are all very well may  produce more than podz (If they stay healthy... Podz is also super durable)... But not one of these guys will be as tough to play against, or as defensively elite.  Podz will be out in all situations were as a number of these guys will be put out in more offensive rolls only.  I don't need to bash any of these players to point out that podz will be an integral part of this core very soon.  A player that you need to win a Stanley Cup with.  By the end of next season... Let's pose this question again and see how you feel.

Boeser was drafted as a goal scoring winger and JEE as an all-around type of C.  Not sure that comparison is relevant to make here.  It's better to compare Boeser to Connor, DeBrusk, etc. since they're relied on to produce offensively.

As for Podkolzin, where do you get this notion that he's on track to becoming some elite defensive winger?  I think he could become responsible defensively, but I wouldn't say that he has an elite level of defensive skill in his locker.  In any event, being to tough to play against =/= being elite defensively.  J.T. Miller is tough to play against, but hasn't got the first clue about defensive responsibility.  By this fact, Zegras/Caufielder/Boldy/etc are all tough to play against.

I was at the Rangers game earlier in the season, Podz was all over the ice. He came back defensively and finished a heavy check on the half boards to the right of TD, BOOM . His speed helped his timing, it was awesome, he made the boards rattle. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, AV. said:

Boeser was drafted as a goal scoring winger and JEE as an all-around type of C.  Not sure that comparison is relevant to make here.  It's better to compare Boeser to Connor, DeBrusk, etc. since they're relied on to produce offensively.

As for Podkolzin, where do you get this notion that he's on track to becoming some elite defensive winger?  I think he could become responsible defensively, but I wouldn't say that he has an elite level of defensive skill in his locker.  In any event, being to tough to play against =/= being elite defensively.  J.T. Miller is tough to play against, but hasn't got the first clue about defensive responsibility.  By this fact, Zegras/Caufielder/Boldy/etc are all tough to play against.

AV... He just started this year... Now just starting to come into his own.  Listen to Horvat, Miller, Chaisson talk about Podz... He will be like a Bergeron soon enough.... Maybe with a little less offence but really, neither if us know where he will be in the next couple years.  I just think your basing everything on the now and not looking at how he is trending.  His work ethic, attitude, smarts, will, and drive already are at pro level according to Miller, and Horvat.  I'll take Podz over any of the guys you mentioned (including Zegras) hands down... The only guy I'd hesitate on is Boldy.  A year from now... I'll bring this conversation back.... Might be wishful thinking coming from you, but hope you're willing to eat some crow.  april fools prank GIF

Hey AV... Where you goin'?

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Hogs & Podz said:

AV... He just started this year... Now just starting to come into his own.  Listen to Horvat, Miller, Chaisson talk about Podz... He will be like a Bergeron soon enough.... Maybe with a little less offence but really, neither if us know where he will be in the next couple years.  I just think your basing everything on the now and not looking at how he is trending.  His work ethic, attitude, smarts, will, and drive already are at pro level according to Miller, and Horvat.  I'll take Podz over any of the guys you mentioned (including Zegras) hands down... The only guy I'd hesitate on is Boldy.  A year from now... I'll bring this conversation back.... Might be wishful thinking coming from you, but hope you're willing to eat some crow.  april fools prank GIF

If you choose to overvalue a prospect and see a potential that doesn't exist, by all means.

Hope this helps.

58 minutes ago, Hogs & Podz said:

Well I hope this isn't a case of everyone here saying they would take Virtanen over Ehlers or Nylander again.

Not comparing Virtanen to Podkolzin but we have to admit we were all lying to ourselves thinking Virtanen was the better pick over the two :lol: it took us the previous season realize that 

On 4/10/2022 at 6:59 AM, hammertime said:

maybe he needed a prez and maybe a few decent assistants?

No, not even close, all the way up to last year until the last of the old guard and all the long the contracts of Mike Gillis were gone JB's ability to build the team that he wanted was limited and picks to have some experience to see where they were in the development curve required waiting but why people can't take that into account before passing judgement is beyond me... How people open their mouth's or finger tips typing it, saying stupid things without taking in the ramifications of what this team was like before JB joined up is what the stupid part is. 

That's not even the worst part of the reality of players having to be overpaid to play here to make up for taxes that are higher than the usa by a fair enough margin to make a big enough difference in a player's choice where to play.

This is hilarious....

We have a player here, who, while starting up in a country with limited language skills, and haven't played NA game before, has done nothing but improve throughout the season.

Yet, some folks here seems to thing the limit here is a 3rd line winger...

For years most folks here have been unhappy about the lack of a proper power forward, almost as much as the lack of D-man drafting.

Here we have, what could potentially be that, while also have play making ability...The boy is only 20 years old for Christ sake. Give him a flipping chance...

First in the gym every day and last off the ice... His team mates speaks really highly of him, so if they believe we've got something here, maybe we should too...

I am really excited to see, how far Podz goes,,, and believe he will be a top six winger, if not on Peteys wing...in the future.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

This is hilarious....

We have a player here, who, while starting up in a country with limited language skills, and haven't played NA game before, has done nothing but improve throughout the season.

Yet, some folks here seems to thing the limit here is a 3rd line winger...

For years most folks here have been unhappy about the lack of a proper power forward, almost as much as the lack of D-man drafting.

Here we have, what could potentially be that, while also have play making ability...The boy is only 20 years old for Christ sake. Give him a flipping chance...

First in the gym every day and last off the ice... His team mates speaks really highly of him, so if they believe we've got something here, maybe we should too...

I am really excited to see, how far Podz goes,,, and believe he will be a top six winger, if not on Peteys wing...in the future.

I hope every thing you say might come true. But some such as actuaries and accountants want facts. It's not that we don't want to hope it's just too many "If's, but's candy and nut's "  :)

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Hogs & Podz said:

I like Matthew Boldy in Minny. I wish we could have selected and chosen him. But that would mean we wouldn’t have Podkolzin. 

But Boldy has 29 points in 36 games, while Podkolzin has 19 points in 70 games. I think Podkolzin will be a decent player, he’s not going to be an offensive juggernaut, though. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AV. said:

If you choose to overvalue a prospect and see a potential that doesn't exist, by all means.

Hope this helps.

Your opinion of Podkolzin is fair, just like everyone else’s on this board. 

But as a fan, I’m cheering our prospects on. Podkolzin certainly has the potential to be a top six player. Will he get there? You hope so, but never know. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I was at the Rangers game earlier in the season, Podz was all over the ice. He came back defensively and finished a heavy check on the half boards to the right of TD, BOOM . His speed helped his timing, it was awesome, he made the boards rattle. 

The question is, can he score? 

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I like Matthew Boldy in Minny. I wish we could have selected and chosen him. But that would mean we wouldn’t have Podkolzin. 

But Boldy has 29 points in 36 games, while Podkolzin has 19 points in 70 games. I think Podkolzin will be a decent player, he’s not going to be an offensive juggernaut, though. 

I agree... Producing points... Well goals anyway, won't be what he'll be about... However, I bet he'll be known for scoring timely, clutch goals in a couple years.  But no, he won't be a Boldy... I really wanted him as well.  Ultimately though... I still believe Podz will end up being a better overall player than any of the guys picked after him in the draft... It will show in his +/- and how he'll elevate players around him.  He will make or 'will' the canucks into becoming 'hard to play against' again.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

Your opinion of Podkolzin is fair, just like everyone else’s on this board. 

But as a fan, I’m cheering our prospects on. Podkolzin certainly has the potential to be a top six player. Will he get there? You hope so, but never know. 

Personally, I like Podkolzin.  I'm just not willfully naïve to think that he's better than what's been selected before and around him simply because he plays for my team.

• Vintage 1

10 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

I thought Podkolzin dropped because of his minimum 2 year contract in Russia and therefore a big question mark for any franchise on their level of involvement in his development. He's been a terrific 200 ft player this year as a rookie, something you can't say about those other 3 players. In a playoff series, Podkolzin comes out on top of Zegras Caufield or Boldy. It is what it is honestly. 

No rebuilding team is letting a legit top 3 talent drop 7 spots to 10. The 2 year wait is irrelevant. He's not a top 3 talent and he hasn't shown that he's a top 10 talent.

I hope Podkolzin can show to be a great middle 6er cuz those pieces are still invaluable to the team. But don't be fooled into thinking Podkolzin would magically be a better playoff performer than Caufield Bodly and Zegras when none of them have done that and the one that has was a pivotal primary scorer on a cup finals run

• Like 1

Would you think Radek Faksa is anything short of a disappointing 13th overall pick?

Faksa has a nice toolbox of skills like Podkolzin has shown but remains a 30pt middle 6er. (Who is still very good in his own right but didn't magically become an elite 1st line forward)

Edited by Zfetch
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, AV. said:

I might even throw Valeri Nichushkin's name into this ring.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=162486

Impossible.  We can't do that he's the guy we shoulda gotten over Horvat ;) 

Oh yes, I recall that draft thread and how people collectively melted down like nothing else.

Trading Schneider zomg

Drafting Horvat over Nicushkin...ZOMG NO

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1