Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, lmm said:

moving Miller would increase depth on this team

we would lose high end skill,

at least in the short term

they are not going to trade Miller for just pick

trading Boeser and Garland for w quality RHD would cost us depth

trading picks for vet would increase depth in the short term and cost depth in the future

in a trade involving Miller I would expect something like:

a 19 year old Miller

a 23 year old Beagle

a 22 year old Seabrook 

a 1st or 2 second round picks

The reality is that only one, or at most two of those guys will pan out to become who they are projected to be.

All we end up with could just be a 23 year old Beagle from Miller trade.

I think the safest route forward is to sit down with Miller and try to work out a deal that will work for both sides.

If that doesn't work, then yeah we go for as many magic beans as possible.

Hopefully the amateur and pro scouting departments have been working hard.

9 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

With Petey back on track, it makes more sense to keep Miller and go for playoffs next season under Boudreau.

Combined with upgrades on D and wing, I bet we will end up with 110 points. 

• Vintage 2

16 minutes ago, khay said:

With Petey back on track, it makes more sense to keep Miller and go for playoffs next season under Boudreau.

Combined with upgrades on D and wing, I bet we will end up with 110 points. 

It for sure is a window within a window isn't it?   Not sure what the right thing to do is, but anyway you slice it, should be exciting. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Odd. said:

Why would someone asking for an example be obtuse to the discussion? He’s valid in asking for an example. You don’t just bring up an open ended question and tell the guy to search it up when asked for an example. It’s kind of dumb

Have you heard of Schnieder? Like he doesn't know that already though he's been in the Miller thread for months.

Lundqvist, Jones, Prokop, Clarke, Grans, Durzi, Marino, Dobson, Ceulemans at a glance.

Are you guys telling me you don't know how google works?

In addition as mentioned if you limit your own scope to one thing only you're not going to get the best return. 

Finally, I'm not a GM, an assistant, or a scout so I don't have an infinite list of players and their strengths, weaknesses, projections, and availability. I'm quite certain there are RD somewhere someplace somehow in the NHL and using your best trade chip needing a pay raise to gain assets is definitely an option to getting there. Even if you bring in a top forward prospect, which we would 100% need in order to replace Miller and enhance the forward group this would allow you address that position when the opportunity arises, and with the cap space to do so.

Certainly the management team is capable of identifying right shooting defenseman, aren't they?

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, aGENT said:

Yup, even if we only get a collection of forwards and picks back for Miller (which would be fine too IMO), we could still probably package one of those forwards and say Rathbone for pretty darn good, young RHD from a team with a surplus.

You're going to scare @JM_ with your "magic beans" talk :lol: but yes, this is another solid option of getting an eventual better player. You need to have good scouting and a bit of luck but that's how these trades work.

and development

this team still has a poor development record

1 year for Lockwood is great

but where are the Sautners and Brisbois?

Getting out played by Bowey and Juulsen

2 minutes ago, lmm said:

and development

bowey and juulsen were also highly touted 2nd and 1st round draft picks, respectively. 

1 hour ago, khay said:

The reality is that only one, or at most two of those guys will pan out to become who they are projected to be.

All we end up with could just be a 23 year old Beagle from Miller trade.

I think the safest route forward is to sit down with Miller and try to work out a deal that will work for both sides.

If that doesn't work, then yeah we go for as many magic beans as possible.

Hopefully the amateur and pro scouting departments have been working hard.

If that is the attitude, 

we probably should never make trades

or 

sign free agents

I don't play the trade proposal game because I really do think the pro have, or should have, a leg up on me because they get personal contact with the players involved

But I am pretty open about what I think they should not do, because from where I sit , behind my keyboard/tv set I can see the repeated mistakes of bad contracts or assumptions, that players will progress without much reason behind other than hope

trades need to be made, and the scouting staff has a job to do in deciding who is going to progress, and how far and when

Its not my job, but it is theirs

• Cheers 1

18 hours ago, HKSR said:

This always sounds good on paper, but who exactly do you have in mind? What team that wants Miller is giving up their 18 to 23 year old presumably top 4 RHD?

Trades like this happen lots..Miller can be the missing player for teams close to Stanley cup run..

Erik Karlsson  trade-- Look at return

Duchene  trade just 2 examples of return team got..

Miller return would be very good..

Not sure if you have followed hockey much if you don't know trade like this happen...Come on your kidding?

18 hours ago, HKSR said:

This always sounds good on paper, but who exactly do you have in mind? What team that wants Miller is giving up their 18 to 23 year old presumably top 4 RHD?

Go look at some trades Miller will get you a young RD man under 23 -- draft pick ---along with top 9 forward under 26...

18 minutes ago, lmm said:

If that is the attitude, 

we probably should never make trades

or 

sign free agents

I don't play the trade proposal game because I really do think the pro have, or should have, a leg up on me because they get personal contact with the players involved

But I am pretty open about what I think they should not do, because from where I sit , behind my keyboard/tv set I can see the repeated mistakes of bad contracts or assumptions, that players will progress without much reason behind other than hope

trades need to be made, and the scouting staff has a job to do in deciding who is going to progress, and how far and when

Its not my job, but it is theirs

Not attitude, just reality.

Very rarely you get a 19 year old Miller, 23 year old Beagle, 22 year old Seabrook and 1st rounder that pans out in one trade.

The prospect of such event transpiring, no matter the odds, is why you make these trades. But I can't remember one trade where you get a top 6 forward, top 3RD, elite 4th line center, and a 1st rounder.

3 hours ago, JM_ said:

Bo's cousin and a 5th oa.... that kind of makes more sense to me. We get a decent right shot back and a high quality pick. Konecny is on the small side but he could take over Garland's or Boeser's spot if we move on from him too for more C depth. 

Only issue I have with Konecny, is that he's basically a more expensive Garland. I wonder if we could get Sanheim instead? (Provorov would be better but probably unlikely) ...

Edited by aGENT

1 hour ago, lmm said:

and development

Was Sautner ever supposed to be more than a "Biega" type? And Brisebois had/has a "maybe" 3rd pair ceiling. Some times guys just aren't good enough. Full stop.

Would it be nice to have a few more guys coming through our development system to the big club? Sure. But to be fair, we haven't had a lot of high ceiling guys go through Utica/Abby. Most of our better players came through college/Europe pipelines after we drafted them, and straight to the NHL. So not having many develop to the NHL club via the AHL isn't surprising.

That tells me we need to do more/better on finding and signing undrafted college, Euro etc scouting to actually fill the AHL club with, instead of the veteran AHL journeymen that the previous regime seemed to favour. Those guys simply aren't likely to become NHL players. Thankfully that's something that new management was quite good at in Pittsburgh.

Edited by aGENT

1 hour ago, wildcam said:

Trades like this happen lots..Miller can be the missing player for teams close to Stanley cup run..

Erik Karlsson  trade-- Look at return

Duchene  trade just 2 examples of return team got..

Miller return would be very good..

Not sure if you have followed hockey much if you don't know trade like this happen...Come on your kidding?

Really? Happens alot?  Who was the last 90-100 point #1 centreman who was traded to a team wanting to go on a cup run?

12 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

Really? Happens alot?  Who was the last 90-100 point #1 centreman who was traded to a team wanting to go on a cup run?

Millers first season as 90 point guy come on? Miller is a 68--75 point guy? 1 season at 90 points is not a regular thing for him..'

Miller was a winger until this season? 

Miller is 29 years old first season over 72 points? Do you think Miller is going to be a regular 90 point guy now?

Trade Miller and get a good return and don't be stupid and sign at 30 year old player to a 6 yr X 8.2 -- 8.5 million dollar contract..

Miller will go back to 68 -75 points next season..Years 3, 4, 5 Miller's big contract would hurt Canucks...

• Cheers 2