The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Arizona Coyotes at Vancouver Canucks | Apr. 14, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

12 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

He talked about it.

He is finally in the role he had always hoped to be on a team.  We are fortunate that it is with us, that he has shown his full potential.

I hope this weighs on his decision to stay. Will he have the same role on a new team? 

JT's flourished here and I'm sure there's risk to him, too, in moving away from the environment that supported him enough that he could. To move away from a team that's embraced him, flaws and all. He's a leader in the room and that's been an open door for him. Some other teams with things already set in place may not give him that room to breathe (and swear. and slam doors. and talk about the crappy way they had to play through COVID). He may have to step down a bit but his personality seems to be one that wouldn't be easy to stifle/curb. Here he's been able to fully express himself, both good and bad. No one here appears to feel threatened by his big personality, but some other rooms may.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, mikeyman109 said:

So if he does sign here and he gets 9 Millions , deserved you are ok with that especially as he wont affect the salary cap that much?

How will it not affect the cap?  If he wants to sign for 3, 4 years tops at $9m, I'm all for it

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, stawns said:

Do you really want this team to have a $9m (minimum) cap hit for a 35-38 year old JT Miller when Petey and Hughes are in their prime and hitting UFA years and wanting to be paid?  

Hughes will be gone well before Miller hits 35 years old if we are not a contender by then.  His contract is up when Miller is 34, Demko as well.  Bye bye future if those guys walk...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Who said it was risk free?  It adds depth and strength to areas that desperately need it however.

Again, I think there's very little chance that Milker signs in Van, so I want to move him and get something for him.  

You've said this a lot and could be right. However, as Miller has mentioned...he always wanted the role he is in.

Will he get to be that sort of the second captain, leader he is on this team? or will he be brought into help a powerhouse in the next couple years for their cup runs?

Because I hear that he will not be the player he is now in a couple years because he is soo very old. 

My thought is that his leadership position on our squad might help a decision to stay. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

He talked about it.

He is finally in the role he had always hoped to be on a team.  We are fortunate that it is with us, that he has shown his full potential.

I hope this weighs on his decision to stay. Will he have the same role on a new team? 

Yeah, he is at the age where he might not be a good fit with the current Canucks compete window - if his desire to win the cup is greater than any other reasons.  He has one more year left; and I am willing to wait: at what the front office will do in the offseason to improve the roster cause there are already a lot of good pieces in place but no cap - currently.  Perhaps next years potential roster will be enough to persuade Miller to stay & give the Canucks some discount to improve the team ?  Imo, it will come down to messaging from the front office and what they will accomplish in the offseason - when it comes to Miller, as the teams biggest piece.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Zhukini said:

Sure, give him a 3 year deal. Anything more and you're taking away from this roster. 

I disagree. But we can have a differing opinion. The recapture penatly ends this year I believe. 3 Million. Boeser leaving adds 5 million.

Miller was making 5 .5 adding 3.5 million and you still have 4.5 of that to sign another player

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

You've said this a lot and could be right. However, as Miller has mentioned...he always wanted the role he is in.

Will he get to be that sort of the second captain, leader he is on this team? or will he be brought into help a powerhouse in the next couple years for their cup runs?

Because I hear that he will not be the player he is now in a couple years because he is soo very old. 

My thought is that his leadership position on our squad might help a decision to stay. 

You see it yours, I see it mine.  This is his career contract and he'll go where the dollar amount is the highest.  With the cost of living and high tax rate, I think it's much more likely that an American goes to an American team, with lower cost of living and lower tax rate.  Why wouldn't he want more take home money?

• Cheers 1

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

I'd rather have Miller and Chiasson than Boeser and Chytil...

I don't want Boeser either.

It gives them the flexibility to build a balanced team.  Demko hides a lot of warts.......a lot

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

You see it yours, I see it mine.  This is his career contract and he'll go where the dollar amount is the highest.  With the cost of living and high tax rate, I think it's much more likely that an American goes to an American team, with lower cost of living and lower tax rate.  Why wouldn't he want more take home money?

we have the whole next season to find out. If he isnt willing to sign here at any amount we will know by next trade deadline. Then we can make the deal. At this point i would do everything i could to sign our first 100 point player since the Sedins left

7 minutes ago, mll said:

If he's chasing money he's at risk of being in the same situation as Erik Karlsson.  Some of those top contenders like Pittsburgh, Washington are at the tail end of their windows and will likely soon be facing a rebuild.  Miller comes across as extremely competitive and I would think that he will also want to have more than just a few tries left.

Promising teams like Colorado, Florida have already identified their core and can't see them paying him over MacKinnon, Huberdeau/Weegar.  Even NYR have already committed long term to Panarin, Zibanejad, Trouba etc.  For those teams his value was more the 2x playoffs runs at an incredible cap hit, but have a harder time seeing them giving him that retirement contract.

Rebuilding teams (Arizona, Anaheim, Chicago) or those building around cores just as young if not younger than Vancouver (NJD, Buffalo, CBJ, etc) don't make much sense.

Then there are the teams with no cap space like SJS or Minnesota.  Guerin doesn't even want to trade futures (says they'll need them to weather those buyout years).  SJS has ambition but they are stuck with all those retirement contracts handed out.  Vegas, Toronto, Tampa seem to be also running out of cap space.

Armstrong says he prefers to have a lot of good players than pay for 1 or 2 superstars - lists cap management as one of the 5 reasons they finally won the Cup. Carolina's AGM Eric Tulsky did a lot of work on ageing curves so hard to see them committing to Miller given his conclusions.  There's not that many teams left.  

I don't think Allvin is lying when he says he'd like to try and keep Miller.  He won't get paid that mega deal but they have arguments to convince him.  There's a pretty long runway with Pettersson/Hughes/Demko already so good and with still room to grow.  He has a key role on and off the ice - has been their go-to player and has strong influence in the room.  

Aside from Karlsson, there's also Taylor Hall - he was asking the moon and never got the contract he hoped.  Jones wanted to get paid and now Chicago has announced they are rebuilding.  Vancouver has a much clearer path than a team that could abruptly change course.

Miller is nearing 30 and has not yet been “paid”. His largest contract to date is the current $5.25 million one, so he hasn’t had the opportunity to secure his future post-NHL. This is his last shot, and I feel like too many people are overlooking this. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

If he ages like Edler we'll be ok. Not ideal but he is a good player.

He's a good player, no argument there. Unfortunately in a cap world with so much parity in the league, one bad contract, let alone 2 or 3 or more if you have Benning, really handicaps your team. 

It's fine if you're a bad team, the good ones that have higher expectations rarely have any. I guess it depends on what the Canucks are trying to get out of the prime years or Hughes and Petey

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

Who said it was risk free?  It adds depth and strength to areas that desperately need it however.

"It adds". Change it to "it MAY add" because you're stating it like it's risk free.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

Father Time?

Why can’t he be an exception? That’s why we call those players exceptional. 
A certain Canuck’s captain had their best year points wise at the age of 29, then proceeded to average at least a point per game for the following 3 years.

4 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

I disagree. But we can have a differing opinion. The recapture penatly ends this year I believe. 3 Million. Boeser leaving adds 5 million.

Miller was making 5 .5 adding 3.5 million and you still have 4.5 of that to sign another player

I go along with the $9m cap hit, but that is very quickly becoming a pipe dream as well.

1 minute ago, mikeyman109 said:

we have the whole next season to find out. If he isnt willing to sign here at any amount we will know by next trade deadline. Then we can make the deal. At this point i would do everything i could to sign our first 100 point player since the Sedins left

And if he gets hurt before the deadline and they can't deal him?