The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Arizona Coyotes at Vancouver Canucks | Apr. 14, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, stawns said:

You see it yours, I see it mine.  This is his career contract and he'll go where the dollar amount is the highest.  With the cost of living and high tax rate, I think it's much more likely that an American goes to an American team, with lower cost of living and lower tax rate.  Why wouldn't he want more take home money?

I like to think there is more to the equation than just money.

He has a family, two young daughters. I would want to raise them in the best country on the planet in a beautiful city. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Miller is nearing 30 and has not yet been “paid”. His largest contract to date is the current $5.25 million one, so he hasn’t had the opportunity to secure his future post-NHL. This is his last shot, and I feel like too many people are overlooking this. 

Except what I consider is that when you're dealing with millions of dollars, it's not like you're considering a rags to riches decision.

He'll get paid, it's just a matter of how much. And there are other things that player's factor in as well. 

So what if makes a few million more stuck in Manitoba for the next 8 years? Arizona. Hmm. I can't see the team NOT giving him a deal that's worth considering and then it's a matter of what he feels is important.

4 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

I disagree. But we can have a differing opinion. The recapture penatly ends this year I believe. 3 Million. Boeser leaving adds 5 million.

Miller was making 5 .5 adding 3.5 million and you still have 4.5 of that to sign another player

That's adding one player though. That to me seems like this roster would be at the exact same position come this time next year. 

Yes they'd be better with a whole year under Bruce but it just seems like spinning your tires to me

1 minute ago, guntrix said:

Miller is nearing 30 and has not yet been “paid”. His largest contract to date is the current $5.25 million one, so he hasn’t had the opportunity to secure his future post-NHL. This is his last shot, and I feel like too many people are overlooking this. 

So what? so he wants a good pay day. He has earned it and we have enough cap space to fit him in. I wouldnt trade him at this point because he is driving the bus along with Demko.

There are ways to move him if he is dead weight at 35 but i dont see this player with this attitude being dead weight on any team

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

I like to think there is more to the equation than just money.

He has a family, two young daughters. I would want to raise them in the best country on the planet in a beautiful city. 

That's the myth we all tell ourselves and it almost never happens.

1 minute ago, guntrix said:

Just like JM and Tanev with the Flakes.  Perhaps the best trading partner for him will be a team, that is ready contend: Kings & Rangers cause they have cap space and prospect depth to trade.

1 minute ago, stawns said:

And if he gets hurt before the deadline and they can't deal him?

If , If , If

And if he wins the Conn Smythe

If he scores 50 next season.

If he takes this team to the Cup finally after 50+ years

Lets deal in Ifs but not all negative Ifs

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, mll said:

If he's chasing money he's at risk of being in the same situation as Erik Karlsson.  Some of those top contenders like Pittsburgh, Washington are at the tail end of their windows and will likely soon be facing a rebuild.  Miller comes across as extremely competitive and I would think that he will also want to have more than just a few tries left.

Promising teams like Colorado, Florida have already identified their core and can't see them paying him over MacKinnon, Huberdeau/Weegar.  Even NYR have already committed long term to Panarin, Zibanejad, Trouba etc.  For those teams his value was more the 2x playoffs runs at an incredible cap hit, but have a harder time seeing them giving him that retirement contract.

Rebuilding teams (Arizona, Anaheim, Chicago) or those building around cores just as young if not younger than Vancouver (NJD, Buffalo, CBJ, etc) don't make much sense.

Then there are the teams with no cap space like SJS or Minnesota.  Guerin doesn't even want to trade futures (says they'll need them to weather those buyout years).  SJS has ambition but they are stuck with all those retirement contracts handed out.  Vegas, Toronto, Tampa seem to be also running out of cap space.

Armstrong says he prefers to have a lot of good players than pay for 1 or 2 superstars - lists cap management as one of the 5 reasons they finally won the Cup. Carolina's AGM Eric Tulsky did a lot of work on ageing curves so hard to see them committing to Miller given his conclusions.  There's not that many teams left.  

I don't think Allvin is lying when he says he'd like to try and keep Miller.  He won't get paid that mega deal but they have arguments to convince him.  There's a pretty long runway with Pettersson/Hughes/Demko already so good and with still room to grow.  He has a key role on and off the ice - has been their go-to player and has strong influence in the room.  

Aside from Karlsson, there's also Taylor Hall - he was asking the moon and never got the contract he hoped.  Jones wanted to get paid and now Chicago has announced they are rebuilding.  Vancouver has a much clearer path than a team that could abruptly change course.

Allvin's first priority this summer is to get Miller signed to a good contract for both sides.

For the Canucks, the first number can't be 9 and the length can't exceed 6 years.

If that fails, then we look for a trade in the offseason or TDL. 

If Miller is re-signed, I can see us trading either Boeser or Garland. If Miller is not re-signed, then we should keep both Boeser and Garland.

Pearson-EP-Boeser

Podz-Horvat-Garland

Dickinson-3C-Hogs

Highmore-Lammikko-Lockwood

Hughes-Schenn

OEL-RD

Dermott-Myers

Get a top 4RD prospect back via Miller trade and find a 3C in the UFA market.

Edit: If Rathbone is ready to make the team, then we should look into trading Myers to clear some cap space.

Hughes-Schenn

OEL-RD

Rathbone-Dermott

If we trade Miller, it would likely be a year of retool. Although, depending on Petey's performance and with Podz and Hogs improving, we could challenge for the playoffs depending on who we get as #4RD and 3C.

Edited by khay

Just now, mikeyman109 said:

If , If , If

That exact scenario has happened to this franchise more times than I care to think about.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Getting 50 points in a season is quite different than getting 100 points.  You are talking a 3rd line player versus a superstar...

58points is not a third line player on 90% of nhl teams

i am just correcting your statement that jt Miller didn’t get 50 points 

• Thanks 1

Just now, khay said:

Allvin's first priority this summer is to get Miller signed to a good contract for both sides.

For the Canucks, the first number can't be 9 and the length can't exceed 6 years.

If that fails, then we look for a trade in the offseason or TDL. 

If Miller is re-signed, I can see us trading either Boeser or Garland. If Miller is not re-signed, then we should keep both Boeser and Garland.

Pearson-EP-Boeser

Podz-Horvat-Garland

Dickinson-3C-Hogs

Highmore-Lammikko-Lockwood

Hughes-Schenn

OEL-RD

Dermott-Myers

Get a top 4RD prospect back via Miller trade and find a 3C in the UFA market.

At this point, the first number is headed toward 1, not 8.

1 minute ago, mikeyman109 said:

So what? so he wants a good pay day. He has earned it and we have enough cap space to fit him in. I wouldnt trade him at this point because he is driving the bus along with Demko.

There are ways to move him if he is dead weight at 35 but i dont see this player with this attitude being dead weight on any team

You’d think that after the Louie debacle we’d learned that it’s not that easy to move an anchor contract. And that was only $6 million. 

2 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

That's adding one player though. That to me seems like this roster would be at the exact same position come this time next year. 

Yes they'd be better with a whole year under Bruce but it just seems like spinning your tires to me

You dont think they will be better with a Podkolzin a year older playing with Miller?

Or the luongo penalty gone and adding another piece that way?

Maybe Rathbone develops into another good piece?

31 minutes ago, stawns said:

Why is it terrible.  Lundqvist is a great, young dman, chytil is big, fast and has good hands and is still young and developing........he's not replacing Miller, he'd be 3C behind Bo and Petey.

Still better than getting nothing when Miller walks isn't it?

Lundqvist is ranked lower then Rathbone.    At least that's how things have gone this year.    Even Woo was ranked higher to start the season, same with OJ. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, mikeyman109 said:

If , If , If

It's funny that some are fixated on him being nothing but negative but not applying those same risks to the return he brings.

It's all subject to the same risks. Yes, he'll be in his 30's....not 85. Young guys have bones that break too.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, BPA said:

Another comparable to watch out for is Gaudreau.  He’s UFA this summer and is also having a breakout year.  Whatever he gets, will  be the negotiation starting point.  If Flames offer him $10 x 8yrs, are people here wanting Miller at the same price???

If the Flames pay Little Johnnie 80 million bucks, I will be toasting Champagne!

They will be so hooped.

LJ can't handle the heavy going.

Markstrom couldn't stop a beachball last night.

Tanev is being lined up and slaughtered.

Calgary is going to be out in the first round this year.

Gaudreau will be throwing 10 million dollar hissy fits for 8 more years.

Go Flameouts Go.