The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL Draft Lottery to be held on May 10th

Rate this topic

On 4/20/2022 at 3:19 PM, Bounce000 said:

Max you can move up is 10 spots. Watch the Canucks finally win the draft lottery only to not pick first overall.

Is this a new rule change with the lottery?  Why do they give the bubble teams odds to get the #1?

What other rule changes are there?  Only 2 lottery spots now?

• 2 weeks later...

“In an unprecedented outcome, the NHL forgets to allocate a draft lottery number to Vancouver prior to selecting the draft order. The NHL would like to apologize to the Canucks and the Vancouver fans, who will be receiving a third round pick in the 22-23 draft as compensation.”

• Sad 1

On 5/1/2022 at 2:43 PM, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Official odds for the 2022 NHL Draft Lottery:

FRs3wvpXwAEYpcg?format=jpg&name=large

I find it odd that the only two places that have the same percentage (IMO none should have the same%) is Vancouver and Vegas. So even though Vegas has finished above us in the standings they get the same odds to win? That’s some BS no?

Montreal could get 1st overall by default if it's team 12 to 16 that win the lottery as they can only move up 10 spots, and the 2nd draw is for at the highest 2nd overall. 

By that tweet it looks like the team winning the lottery would have their spot locked up - whether 1st overall or 2 to 6 after draw 1.  He's using 2nd overall because CBJ but if team 14 wins the 1st draw they move up to 4th.  If then say team 8 wins the 2nd draw they move up to 2nd.  The team holding 3rd after the 1st draw can't move back to 4th because that's the team that won draw 1 so they move back to 5th.   Or?

Wouldn't surprise me one bit whatsoever if the Canucks win the lottery this year.  It's the perfect opportunity to take that away from Canucks fans (that the Canucks have never won a lottery before), but not really give them the grand prize either.

• Cheers 1

On 4/21/2022 at 4:46 PM, NUCKER67 said:

Is this a new rule change with the lottery?  Why do they give the bubble teams odds to get the #1?

What other rule changes are there?  Only 2 lottery spots now?

Isn’t pick #5 like our go to spot?  Looks like we are destined to win this one!

14 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Wouldn't surprise me one bit whatsoever if the Canucks win the lottery this year.  It's the perfect opportunity to take that away from Canucks fans (that the Canucks have never won a lottery before), but not really give them the grand prize either.

I wonder if we'll see some trades once the order is set? Some teams might want to get the work done well ahead of draft day. 

Just now, JM_ said:

I wonder if we'll see some trades once the order is set? Some teams might want to get the work done well ahead of draft day. 

That happens... but it seems they keep it until draft day... more dramatic that way.

3 hours ago, DS4quality said:

It would only be fitting Montréal would get first overall,  you can be a bottom 5 team for years and never move up, but if you're an original 6 or Edmonton you get goodies.  

Montreal hasn’t picked 1st overall since 1980. Let’s not act like there’s some conspiracy here.  They have a 55.7% chance to pick 3rd overall.