The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks @ Minnesota Wild | April 21st, 2022 | 5:00 PM, Sportsnet Pacific | Just win.

Rate this topic

Roberts

16 minutes ago, nux_win said:

The NHL wants us to think that it's a few "rogue" referees, but I think that it is a systemic issue and the NHL itself is to blame for the very strange state of refereeing in the NHL.  In other words, I'm convinced that the NHL dishonestly and cynically uses refereeing to mess with the outcome of games.  What else could "game management" possibly be?  I strongly suspect that the NHL has shot itself in the foot by messing with the refereeing and they can neither admit it nor extract themselves from it.  People who know the game KNOW that there is something very wrong with how NHL games are being refereed.  However all the dollar signs make it hard for anyone in the know to comment.  It's not just one or two refs and it's not just the Canucks who are getting screwed, I think it is a league-wide problem.  And it needs to be outed and addressed.  GCG!

They need to go back to one ref, it’s pretty simple.

All you accomplish with two refs is that you have two guys calling things differently with their own bias, and creating confusion for the players.

The best games I’ve watched this season are games with less penalties called. Having one ref would accomplish that.

Instead you seem to have these different refs that all wanna be apart of the game. The best veteran refs know the less involved they are the better. 

I think they need to add more challenge abilities for coaches and reviews too. This would more than offset the “loss” of the second ref. Only way to keep integrity in the game.

Edited by DeNiro

31 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Garland Pettersson Boeser

Podkolzin Miller Chiasson

Highmore Lammikko Lockwood

Dickinson Richardson Dries

Much better balance. 

lol we are still missing essentially our NHL level 2nd line lol Pearson-Bo-Hogz

How much of hogs play was due to this injury - sports hernias take a while to develop and slowly wear you down, had one myself, had many teammates with bad ones ending their careers... 

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

When your alternatives are two AHLers or Dickinson in your top 6, Chaisson all of a sudden looks pretty good. :lol:

Seriously though good for him for continuing to put in the work and step up as the next man up. All three of those guys seem to realize where goals are scored from most often and aren’t afraid to get there.

Would be epic if Chiasson is killer down the stretch and is a big part of getting into the playoffs. It's why we all love sports like we do. 

Edited by rekker
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

All you accomplish with two refs is that you have two guys calling things differently with their own bias, and creating confusion for the players.

The best games I’ve watched this season are games with less penalties called. Having one ref would accomplish that.

Instead you seem to have these different refs that all wanna be apart of the game. The best veteran refs know the less involved they are the better. 

I think they need to add more challenge abilities for coaches and reviews too. This would more than offset the “loss” of the second ref. Only way to keep integrity in the game.

One ref or two, my point is that I want the NHL to be more honest and consistent about refereeing.  Y'know call a penalty when there's a penalty and not call one when there isn't.  And not keep changing the definition of a penalty based on the player, the team, the time of the game, the score, and the playoffs.  Other leagues can do it.  In the NFL a penalty is the same in an exhibition game, a regular season game and a playoff game.  Can the NHL really say that?  I know that a lot goes on in a hockey game, it's played on ice and random stuff happens, and it's hard to referee, but it seems like they aren't even trying to be consistent and are more interested in trying to attract non hockey fans by pumping up the abstract notion of entertainment value my messing with the refereeing (the one thing that they can control while a game is going on - and billionaires like to be in control of their multi million dollar investments).  GCG!

Just now, rekker said:

Would be epic if Chiasson is killer down the stretch and is a big part of getting into the playoffs. It's why we l all love sports like we do. 

Yeah but we lost Gadjovich and MacEwan, who combined for 4 goals between them would've been a better option than  Chiasson's 12 goals.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

lol we are still missing essentially our NHL level 2nd line lol Pearson-Bo-Hogz

How much of hogs play was due to this injury - sports hernias take a while to develop and slowly wear you down, had one myself, had many teammates with bad ones ending their careers... 

Was hoping we’d get Pearson back for the stretch run but it’s looking unlikely now.

The good news is Podz and Chiasson have really stepped up and filled that void. Garland is starting to come alive offensively too.

6 minutes ago, nux_win said:

One ref or two, my point is that I want the NHL to be more honest and consistent about refereeing.  Y'know call a penalty when there's a penalty and not call one when there isn't.  And not keep changing the definition of a penalty based on the player, the team, the time of the game, the score, and the playoffs.  Other leagues can do it.  In the NFL a penalty is the same in an exhibition game, a regular season game and a playoff game.  Can the NHL really say that?  I know that a lot goes on in a hockey game, it's played on ice and random stuff happens, and it's hard to referee, but it seems like they aren't even trying to be consistent and are more interested in trying to attract non hockey fans by pumping up the abstract notion of entertainment value my messing with the refereeing (the one thing that they can control while a game is going on - and billionaires like to be in control of their multi million dollar investments).  GCG!

Well my whole point is that alot of  the inconsistency comes from two refs calling things differently.

If you have a veteran ref that believes in letting the players play and not calling much, paired with a younger ref who thinks he has to call everything, you’re gonna have a mess of a game (which we constantly see).

Some of it is game management for sure, but I think there’s just too much grey area in the rules, and two eras of refs clashing, that are causing the inconsistency.

Edited by DeNiro

Always impressed by the media's determination to keep the narrative around the team as negative as possible regardless of what is happening on the ice. I'm not suggesting there should be no critical coverage but it would seem that when the team performs poorly they are bad and when they perform well it's an aberration. Seeing some hand-wavy comments trying to explain away a .664 P% over their last 55 games. I suppose the first 22 games with an underperforming Pettersson is a more indicative sample than 55 games played with a superior performing EP.  It's like they are at the denial/bargaining stage of death and dying. There are things that are needed to get to the next level but the notion that the roster is terrible is disproven ; a terrible roster would simply be incapable of achieving what this roster has accomplished over the last almost 5 months.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

10 minutes ago, Muttley said:

I agree with both posts!  There is one thing I would add. Now there is no way this can be proven, I'm sure, but it very much seems to me that the refs are instructed 

to add drama to games, particularly in the latter half of the third period where really, none needs to be given.  Blatant penalties sure but we see what seem to be 

phantom infractions almost, that really should never be worth an arm raise. Last game there was a lousy call on Podkolzin which shouldn't have happened

unless someone was getting booted with him from the other team.  Arms go up way too easy sometimes and stay mysteriously down others. Hmm.

Yea that’s the part of game management that drives me crazy.

They go a whole game without calling much of anything, and then in the third period when the trailing team magically needs a call they get it. And they’re always marginal calls.

Its not up to the refs to help teams that are down get back in games. I know a lot of American markets think that’s part of the game, but it shouldn’t be.

If anything the third period is when you should let players play the most and let them settle things 5 on 5. Put away the whistles for anything other than blatant trips, slashes, and dangerous hits. “Hooking” and “slashing” calls have basically given power for the refs to call penalties at any point in the game.

Not surprising that Bettman being a former NBA commissioner would try to turn hockey into basketball. After watching the Raptors game last night I honestly don’t even know what a foul is in basketball anymore, it’s that bad.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, theochar said:

I think Martin gets the surprise start and shuts out Minnie, Demko is not 100%!!!

He'll get the Edmonton game as well.

Halak will get his 250k for "taking a dive" in a unmarked paper bag, Francisco A has surely done this at some point in his life.

There might be some "conversations" with the league about the refs.

LA and Vegas will miss the playoffs (although one of them may catch Dallas), we get 3rd in the Division.

All part of the master plan..... 

Joe Pesci Goodfellas GIF

So… after reading this, who do YOU believe that this league wants to be in the play-offs?

If they keep assigning old-school put-away-your-whistles referees like Sutherland, O’Halloran or O’Rourke… that essentially allow for a lot of  “cheating” then that makes it pretty clear. We’ve had Sutherland twice this past week. 

With parity in this league, refereeing can very much help to decide hockey games  & interfere with the results in these pre/play-off races.

I just pray that Aquilini’s paying to get Rutherford on board has bought this team at the very least, perhaps  - an ounce more of insider-clout, to affect the upcoming assignments, but If these assignments were all made pre-Rutherford, we’re likely hooped on that.  So as always, the Canucks will be playing against all odds & this league’s  manipulations - right down to the wire! They remain the ultimate under-dogs!

As read upon rival fan-boards, Canucks Nation & more & more hockey-fans around the world, are seeing this team  for what it is - a very hearty, skilled, often unlucky, yet highly-entertaining group - that has deserved far more reward, as a franchise, than it has received over its’ existance.

Perhaps, the hockey-gods will choose to back them soon - too! 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

You'd also eliminate the worst half of the refs that way, with a good trickle down if lower leagues follow suit.  The only problem is that the union will cry bloody murder.

• Cheers 1

48 minutes ago, BlastPast said:

Always impressed by the media's determination to keep the narrative around the team as negative as possible regardless of what is happening on the ice. I'm not suggesting there should be no critical coverage but it would seem that when the team performs poorly they are bad and when they perform well it's an aberration. Seeing some hand-wavy comments trying to explain away a .664 P% over their last 55 games. I suppose the first 22 games with an underperforming Pettersson is a more indicative sample than 55 games played with a superior performing EP.  It's like they are at the denial/bargaining stage of death and dying. There are things that are needed to get to the next level but the notion that the roster is terrible is disproven ; a terrible roster would simply be incapable of achieving what this roster has accomplished over the last almost 5 months.

100% 

I'd love for the Canucks to beat MIN, would send a statement that the Canucks are better than they think.  They are one determined bunch trying to claw their way in. 

I can't stand Darryl Sutter. He looks like he should be in a pair of overalls on the set of Deliverance. Maybe with a 2 string banjo. 

Anyway, I truly believe Sutter hates the Canucks and wants them to miss out on the playoffs. Maybe he's scared, who knows. The Flames recently choked against Vegas and Nashville, giving them each 2 points - both teams VAN is trying to catch. The Flames play DAL tonight and I would not be surprised to see Dallas win that one too. Then the Flames play the Canucks and will probably play their best game of the year to knock VAN out.  Bast***s 

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

The conversations should have happened the minute Sutherland was assigned.  JR needs to take the fine and publicly state that allowing that scumbag to work out games is not acceptable and the team will be forced to take matters into their own hands if the league doesn't start holding problem officials accountable.

And what does that mean? We have no recourse in this situation.