The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) 2022-2023 Wish List

Rate this topic

Dats hockey

Start off by saying this years wasn’t awful, was eventful and fun at the end but it is what it is Green dug us a massive hole.

But enough of that I have a question for the CDCers what is on your wish list for next year?

Anything from what may you want to see from individuals to off seasons moves.

Here my list.

-Make a move on Defense…Even if it costs us a forward such as Bo to Hoggy or Boeser WE NEED A LEGIT RD.

-Demko needs to be more consistent late into the year…He seems to be letting in weak ones and a lot of goals on giving nights need him to be steadied and not a roller coaster ( Yes I know he stood on his head half the season and didn’t get backup help )

-Bring Motte back…Having a legit bottom 6 is a must can’t have liability back there need high pressure players that can draw penalties and swing momentum.

-Extend Miller… Dude heart and soul type

of player.

Lasty

-BRING BACK BRUCE.

Demko doesn't quite seem to be a reliable workhorse in the vein of McLean / Luongo / Fuhr / Joseph.  He has absolutely dragged ass over the finish line at the end here.  He is going to need a backup to play 25 good games...so I guess I am hoping to see Spencer Martin be that guy.  I would actually play Spencer the next two games and then Demko the final one if I were running things.  It is doing nobody any good to have Demko trudge onto the ice and play like exhausted poopy doo, and we may as well get Spencer some reps.

I want to see Elias break 80 points.  He should if he shows up to play from game one.

I want to see Quinn get 70 but I'd rather see him get 80 as well.  He has the talent, and now it's time to start catching up to Makar.

Oh and fire Boudreau and bring back Green and Desjardins as co-head-coaches.

• Haha 2

To SEA

Tyler Myers

Brock Boeser

To VAN

Morgan Geekie

Adam Larsson

Sign Deslauriers 

Sign Motte long term, may be open to discount with a long term contract like 4 yrs x 1.75, better than getting like 2.5x 2 yrs from someone 

dump pearson

poolman - will he play again? what to do there?

Interesting names out there as UFA Fs- Domi, Rakell, Trochek

A tough year.  A tale of 2 seasons if you will.  The Green season followed by the Boudreau season.  One ugly, the other, if they played that way all season, they'd be a playoff team and Bennings line up plans would have worked out.

I think that most of us had them as being on the verge of making the playoffs at the beginning of the season and that's where they ended up despite the horrible start.

My wish list:

• Miller has a very real chance to make it to 100 points.  I'd like to see him re-signed.  Will it happen?  I don't know if they'll fit him under the cap at a reasonable term.  I suspect not but this is a wish list and wishes don't always come true.
  • Boeser, do we need him?  It's clear to me since his injury that we don't.  So I think that he is a prime target for the Allvin to free up cap space and bring back 1 or 2 good young players or prospects.
  • Garland is an energy guy who really stirs the pot and wins a lot of battles for a little shrimp.  I like what he does but I also think that you can get  something similar in a guy like Motte for less than half the price.  He's another cap relief target for me.
  • Myers is an offensive minded D who actually leads the team in +/-.  They have offensive top 4 defensemen in Hughes and OEL which really make him redundant and has frankly taken away from OEL's production this season because as partners, one of them has to be defensively responsible.  Myers contract is also pretty inefficient so I think they move him even if they have to retain $1-2M
  • Manson please.  Although everybody wants him I don't know what he'll want on free agency.  He makes $4.45 right now and he's 30.  Swap him for Myers if he'll take $5.0 for 4 years.  He's a veteran who can carry the torch for a few years on the right side.  He's younger than Myers who is 32.
  • They still need a prospect who is going to be a future top 4 RHD
  • They still need a prospect or young player who is going to be the 3C.  Is this Dickinson?  I don't know if he gets the chance to show us.

6 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Demko doesn't quite seem to be a reliable workhorse in the vein of McLean / Luongo / Fuhr / Joseph.  He has absolutely dragged ass over the finish line at the end here.  He is going to need a backup to play 25 good games...so I guess I am hoping to see Spencer Martin be that guy.  I would actually play Spencer the next two games and then Demko the final one if I were running things.  It is doing nobody any good to have Demko trudge onto the ice and play like exhausted poopy doo, and we may as well get Spencer some reps.

I want to see Elias break 80 points.  He should if he shows up to play from game one.

I want to see Quinn get 70 but I'd rather see him get 80 as well.  He has the talent, and now it's time to start catching up to Makar.

Oh and fire Boudreau and bring back Green and Desjardins as co-head-coaches.

Demko couldnt get a night off even when they started Halak. He had to go in for a lot of the games he was supposed to sit. Its unthinkable that any goalie will play 72 games in the regular season and still be fresh for the playoffs. I think Martin is a better option as a back up and that will help Demko get a few nights off next season.

8 hours ago, Dats hockey said:

Start off by saying this years wasn’t awful, was eventful and fun at the end but it is what it is Green dug us a massive hole.

But enough of that I have a question for the CDCers what is on your wish list for next year?

Anything from what may you want to see from individuals to off seasons moves.

Here my list.

-Make a move on Defense…Even if it costs us a forward such as Bo to Hoggy or Boeser WE NEED A LEGIT RD.

-Demko needs to be more consistent late into the year…He seems to be letting in weak ones and a lot of goals on giving nights need him to be steadied and not a roller coaster ( Yes I know he stood on his head half the season and didn’t get backup help )

-Bring Motte back…Having a legit bottom 6 is a must can’t have liability back there need high pressure players that can draw penalties and swing momentum.

-Extend Miller… Dude heart and soul type

of player.

Lasty

-BRING BACK BRUCE.

Making a move on Defense is absolutely critical. We dont improve in the standings unless we improve the back end defensively. Moving OEL or Myers with their contracts is not going to be easy but if we could move one we would be doing well. The only problem is if you move Myers who is out there to replace him at a better cost and without losing production.Free Agency is always a crap shoot. and you over pay. That's how we got Myers in the first place.

I dont agree on BO. look at what it did to the team the last few games with him out. He is our leading goal scorer when he went down. He takes all the D faceoffs when we need him to and wins most of them. This is a core player. Brock, Hoglander, Garland, Pearson, I can see moving any of these or all of them.

Brocks contract issue needs to be settled early on as we cant afford him at 7.5 and improve. He isnt worth a trade for a RHD from any team at this point. You would have to add to that to get a RHD of any value.

Would love to see Motte back

Miller is a player that if we can get him under 9 million I would resign. if not trading him would not be the worst thing in the world. Its all about what you would get back.

Lastly I cant believe anyone would not want Bruce back behind the bench. If he is willing to take the job on I say give him a 2 year contract. A coach like Bruce who seems to bring out the best in the players without being a hard ass like Green was, is exactly what will make the players want to come here. A good winning environment and a coach that coaches rather than belittles or stares down his players, and is truthful open and honest. I like what he brings.

If we commit to a rebuild, then we go all in, none of this half assed 'get younger while staying competitive' stuff. We need to go all in on a rebuild and sell whatever isn't bolted down (i.e Demko, Hughes, Petey)

If we retool, then I'd like to see some of the inefficient contracts moved in the same vein as Hamonic (Poolman/Dickinson/Myers or OEL), Cap space is an asset and the fact we couldn't take advantage of it during the 2020 season when premium players were signing for discounts still urks me. We need some more cap flexibility.

At the end of the day, I'd like to see a draft where we end up with more picks than our allotted 7, and more picks in the top 100 (rounds 1-3). Gotta replenish the farm. There shouldn't be another draft where we operate at a deficit (less than 7 picks, especially less than 3 picks in the top 100), we have to restock our cupboards at a faster rate than our rivals, particularly in the division.

Edited by DSVII
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, DSVII said:

If we commit to a rebuild, then we go all in, none of this half assed 'get younger while staying competitive' stuff. We need to go all in on a rebuild and sell whatever isn't bolted down (i.e Demko, Hughes, Petey)

If we retool, then I'd like to see some of the inefficient contracts moved in the same vein as Hamonic (Poolman/Dickinson/Myers or OEL), Cap space is an asset and the fact we couldn't take advantage of it during the 2020 season when premium players were signing for discounts still urks me. We need some more cap flexibility.

At the end of the day, I'd like to see a draft where we end up with more picks than our allotted 7, and more picks in the top 100 (rounds 1-3). Gotta replenish the farm. There shouldn't be another draft where we operate at a deficit (less than 7 picks, especially less than 3 picks in the top 100), we have to restock our cupboards at a faster rate than our rivals, particularly in the division.

So trading our third (2022) for a fully develop 26 year old Dermott serves which of these two?  Kind seems like a Benning move, don’t it?  

12 hours ago, Alflives said:

Maurice new coach

Miller out

Garland out

Myers out

Retool around:  Demko, Petey, Bo, Hughes,

our owner wants to compete though.  He has a history of wanting to squeeze one more year of compete out of teams.

Why do you want Maurice for a coach?

4 hours ago, DSVII said:

I'm down with a rebuild. As to the players you mention, add Pods and Bo to that and see what we can do with everyone else regarding trades or budget extensions. After that, we play, perhaps a losing season or two, get a high pick or two at draft, and go from there. A top three 1st rounder would be nice. But as you mention above, more picks would be an asset for sure. 

Retool?!?!?!?? Seems we've been doing that since the twins retired. Alas.......growing pains. it's the life cycle of competitive sports teams.

• Cheers 1

I think I’m a lot more optimistic than most of the fan base. I think moves have to be made but I don’t think we need to do anything overly extreme. My personal opinion is we have a top tier goalie, a strong core with a really good offensive group overall and a pretty overall strong defensive group. Here’s a few things on my wishlist: 

Keep Boudreau - I think the spark he provided was massive for this group and no doubt if he had been there from the start, we might be battling Calgary for top seed or a strong number 2. 

Trade for a legit top 4 RD - My wishlist bargain bin RD is going to be a name many might not agree with but I think he provides exactly what we need. That would be Brandon Carlo. He’s a big physical dman capable of playing a very defensively responsible game. He would be the perfect partner for Hughes going forward. Here’s why I want Carlo. 1. His contract is absurdly team friendly. He is under contract at 4 million a year for 5 more years. 2. He would help improve our penalty kill, which has been an issue the majority of the season. 3. He’s consistently putting up solid work in his own end and is a guy that would allow Hughes to continue to be aggressive and showcase his talent. 

If Boeser is looking for too much money, I believe a Boeser for Carlo trade would really benefit both teams. I want to keep Boeser but for the sake of the wishlist I’ll say we swap players (potentially with draft picks in both directions since I don’t know how either team would value a 1 for 1 trade). 

UFA signings: 

BRING BACK MOTTE. Don’t care what it costs. Want him back. 
Rickard Rakell - He’s a player I’ve always liked and if we trade Boeser, he’s a middle 6 guy that can bring similar production at a lower cost (4 mil or slightly north). By the end of the season he will have played in over 50 career playoff games which will also make him a crucial piece for our team as we aim for a playoff run next year. 

Re-sign - Lamikko, Highmore, Richardson (if he doesn’t retire and is willing to be an extra) , Dries, Rathbone, Juulsen, etc. 

Let ‘em go - Halak, Hunt, Chiasson, Petan. 

Roster: 

Petey-Miller-Podkolzin (he’s really improving)

Rakell-Horvat-Garland

Pearson- Dickinson-Hoglander

Highmore-Lammikko-Motte

Lockwood

Dries
Richardson 

Hughes-Carlo

OEL-Myers (I know, but I like ‘em both)

Rathbone/Dermott-Schenn

Poolman? (Lots of uncertainty) 

Burroughs

Juulsen

Demko

Martin

Conclusion- As you can see I did not make any massive changes. I really believe this team is a Boudreau extension and a top RD from being very competitive. Carlo improves our defense and depth. Rakell replaces Boeser and provides similar production perhaps with more versatility. I think Podkolzin will continue to grow into a top line guy. And yes, it’s unpopular but man I just really like OEL and Myers. Maybe switch the pairings up and put Dermott with Myers and OEL with Schenn. I dunno. We can work with it. But personally I think they are both overall good players and we can win with them. I’m also open to trading Dickinson and replacing him. But for now I’ll keep it as is