The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Devils open to trading 2022 1st-round pick

1 hour ago, Moe Knows said:

So true! I love QH and think he is elite but IMO he'll never win a Norris unless Makar breaks a leg or retires young..it's like Brad Park and Orr. Park was an amazing all star, hall of fame defenseman who never won the Norris cause he played at the same time as Orr. Don't get me wrong not saying Makar = Orr but he is a generational talent when it comes to defensemen. OK I'm ready, so go ahead send the hate my way LOL

True. It’s the same as everyone who played in the Gretzky era. Imagine a player so dominant in his era that you had to split his goals and assists in a hockey pool just to make it fair.  Imagine taking Gretzky’s assists and still winning the hockey pool. 

1 hour ago, Rackdawg said:

Gunna be tough winning norris with Makar around for next # of yrs.Guys a superstar.

Fox won it last year. Josi will win it this year. I’d even put Hedman ahead of Makar this year. So he still has some work to do to actually win the Norris. 

Makar isn’t Bobby Orr or even Nik Lidstrom. There are guys equal to or better than him playing right now. 

1 hour ago, stawns said:

imagine the package NJ woud lkely be willing to give to get all three brothers together?

Winning is more efficient than any marketing ploy.

I kind of wonder if teams aren't going to start questioning the strategy of having Ds that hog the puck in the o-zone.  Some of those Ds are piling up points but got to wonder if it's not just an illusion due to impressive individual performance vs really being the better approach to winning games.

12 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Yes it's Bedard. 

I don't know who gets the first overall I'm just assuming in this hypothetical situation it's Hughes for the first overall not Hughes for a potential first overall.

ah OK. misunderstood you. 

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, mll said:

Fitzgerald refused to extend Hall, Palmieri long term (although he tried to sign them) and traded Coleman because they were too old for the group they were building around - all younger at the time than Miller.  Can't imagine NJD giving him that retirement contract.

He also isn't alone in making the decision.  Ownership ensured that their analytics department have a voice.  Was part of the reason Shero got fired - he refused to integrate them.  Projections and ageing curves are part of the decision process for more and more teams.

maybe he values Miller higher than these guys? this current group is also that much more experienced. Miller certainly wouldn't hurt them for the next 3-4 years. 

6 minutes ago, mll said:

Winning is more efficient than any marketing ploy.

I kind of wonder if teams aren't going to start questioning the strategy of having Ds that hog the puck in the o-zone.  Some of those Ds are piling up points but got to wonder if it's not just an illusion due to impressive individual performance vs really being the better approach to winning games.

Depends on how the D is employed I would think.  Some offensive D are allowed “the green light” a little too much and get their teams in trouble.  Sometimes there is a bit more structure though and you see these quick guys really neutralize their opponents forechecking.

2 hours ago, stawns said:

Howe and Housley are in the HoF

Phil Housley played in an era where defencmen were getting 120 points. Yet he didn’t crack 80 points until he was 25. He is in the hall of fame because of longevity. He played 22 years in the NHL. 

If Quinn averages 75+ points for the next 15 years he is an easy Hall of Famer. And he might win a couple of Norris trophies along the way which Housley never was able to do. 

11 minutes ago, JM_ said:

maybe he values Miller higher than these guys? this current group is also that much more experienced. Miller certainly wouldn't hurt them for the next 3-4 years. 

Teams don't go from bottom of the league to contenders.  Their window will open up in a few years and by then Miller could well be an anchor that will prevent them from adding the pieces that can help them truly contend with the best.  It's exactly the same issue as in Vancouver but their core is even younger.

Hall had just won the Hart and had a huge mentoring role on the team which was recognised by management.  They would have kept him on a mid-term deal but weren't looking to get him into his 30s.  Same with Palmieri where they tried short-term.

Don't think they are the team that will give a 30+ player a retirement contract. 

Edited by mll

3 minutes ago, mll said:

Teams don't go from bottom of the league to contenders.  Their window will open up in a few years and by then Miller could well be an anchor that will prevent them from adding the pieces that can help them truly contend with the best.  It's exactly the same issue as in Vancouver but their core is even younger.

Hall had just won the Hart and had a huge mentoring role on the team which was recognised by management.  They would have kept him on a mid-term deal but weren't looking to get him into his 30s.  Same with Palmieri where they tried short-term.

Don't think they are the team that will give a 30+ player a retirement contract. 

maybe. But Hughes is really the only kid on the team, and he's already coming into his own already. Not sure they necessarily see the window in a few years, if they see it sooner Miller fits better. 

48 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

And if Roman Josi played 5-6 more games he'd have had the first 100 point season from a defenceman in decades.  

Woulda

Coulda

Shoulda

The guy has NEVER scored 30 goals

The guy has NEVER broken 60 points.

If Boeser alone was worth a #2 D man he'd have been traded for one period.  But he's not, so he wasnt.  A quick look around the league for young players making 50-60 point averages will show you the company he keeps.  Sorry mate, you can't spin it any other way

You are saying Boeser is not worth a #2 D man? Boeser just turned 25 and scores 23 - 29 goals in shortened season.

I think Vancouver wanted more then a #2 D man that is the reason why he has not been traded.. Boeser contract holds him up from any trade until he signs extension. Qualifying offer is 7.5 million.. Think Canucks will try and get AVV around 6 - 6.2 Million X 3 years

Management think if health playing 82 games he should be a ( 29 -34 G ) -- -62 - 67 point guy and don't want to trade asset at low value !!

With every season he is missing so many games I really think he will be traded.. Every team wants a guy that can score goals.

33 minutes ago, mll said:

Fitzgerald refused to extend Hall, Palmieri long term (although he tried to sign them) and traded Coleman because they were too old for the group they were building around - all younger at the time than Miller.  Can't imagine NJD giving him that retirement contract.

He also isn't alone in making the decision.  Ownership ensured that their analytics department have a voice.  Was part of the reason Shero got fired - he refused to integrate them.  Projections and ageing curves are part of the decision process for more and more teams.

Miller is a barely 29 year old top 10 scoring centre/winger in the league averaged out over 3 years.

Palmeiri is a right winger who is almost 32 and never broke 60 points, has only trended downwards since.  Never fit long term and wanted $$

Coleman was a 3rd line centre at best and while ok depth.  Was never a quality fit for the Devils long term for the money he wanted.

Hall was a coup for the Devils.  The return from him was amazing when sent to Arizona.  Mercer is a stud, Bahl is a stud.  Keeping Hall was a money pit, that's a buy low sell high win.

Miller compared to all of them is a totally different animal.

At this stage, the Devils have almost every essential long term item they need in place.   Hischier and Hughes will be a great duo down the middle and are cost controlled for years.  Boqvist, Mercer, McLeod and Bratt are all under decent status until at least the end of next season.  Bratt being the outlier with a monster season this year.  Their D core is well addressed with Subban coming off the books this year and Hamilton being their only large contract on the blue line for 2 years.

I know there's reason why historically it looks like Devils management wouldn't do this, but this is exactly like the Hamilton situation in which they had the money, they have the means and have the assets.  Fitzgerald has a history of being in situations like this and I believe this is something that could have merit

Edited by Warhippy
  • Vintage 2

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

maybe. But Hughes is really the only kid on the team, and he's already coming into his own already. Not sure they necessarily see the window in a few years, if they see it sooner Miller fits better. 

They are building around Hischier and Hughes.  Hischier was drafted the same year as Pettersson.  It's the same issue as in Vancouver where they can't really give Miller term.  NJD also have to get Blackwood back on track while Vancouver at least already has Demko - they are further back. 

23 minutes ago, JM_ said:

makes me wonder what the Horvat line in the sand is... 7?

Honestly, aide from this years goal scoring break out.  I still see Horvat as a complimentary centre in the $6.25-$6.75 million range.  Whether that's a shorter term 3-5 or a longer term deal is unsure.  But I don't necessarily see him as a $7 million ask

1 minute ago, mll said:

They are building around Hischier and Hughes.  Hischier was drafted the same year as Pettersson.  It's the same issue as in Vancouver where they can't really give Miller term.  NJD also have to get Blackwood back on track while Vancouver at least already has Demko - they are further back. 

But they already have Hughes and Hischier locked in long term AND 25 mil in cap space opening up next season. They can afford Miller, if they want to. 

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Honestly, aide from this years goal scoring break out.  I still see Horvat as a complimentary centre in the $6.25-$6.75 million range.  Whether that's a shorter term 3-5 or a longer term deal is unsure.  But I don't necessarily see him as a $7 million ask

I could see 7 mil x 6 years? Bo is Mr. Consistency, that is worth a lot knowing what you can pencil in.

2 hours ago, stawns said:

You'd have to get Holtz back in any Hughes deal, imo

This team needs more young established NHL players, not more hopefuls if we want to compete in the next few years.